liamtech Registered User
#1
watty Registered User
#2

It's not here
http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/walker/

Have they been premature?

No internal HDD, so likely not a true PVR with dual tuners etc.

1 person has thanked this post
liamtech Registered User
#3

Noticed that - i would say the saorview site will be updated soon enough though. Its walker after all, they have the most approved products on the market

#4

Its the T8300 that was in for certification. There is another as well.

This is a single tuner model. Recording one thing watch another will not work when the second mux comes on.

In other words this Walker actually allows the USB port record to it. The previous model didnt allow this despite having a port (which was for software/pictures/mp3 playing).

watty Registered User
#5

liamtech said:
Noticed that - i would say the saorview site will be updated soon enough though. Its walker after all, they have the most approved products on the market


Sony and Samsung surely have more approved products?

1 person has thanked this post
Sponge Bob Banned
#6

STB said:
Its the T8300 that was in for certification.


For the n00bs, a company called Vestel makes lots of brandname boxes off a common chassis. The box is a Vestel T8300 but may be badged as Walker, Bush, Goodmans, Alba or Grundig for example. Small differences in software are expected between each of these variants.

Does the T8300 come with a DVB-T2 tuner in Ireland when sold as Walker. It certainly does in the UK meaning it could record either a UK HD signal or an Irish HD signal...at least in theory

glineli Registered User
#7

STB said:

Recording one thing watch another will not work when the second mux comes on.



Can mpeg4 tvs store more than one mux? I am just wondering cos i get saorview from Meaghara, channel 48. So when i scan there all is good, but if i scan another channel, i will lose all existing channels from 48. So wondering how this will work. thanks

Sponge Bob Banned
#8

Dunno, depends on your box I suppose The Vestel Software blobs are prepared by Cabot Communications AFAIK ( more )

watty Registered User
#9

glineli said:
Can mpeg4 tvs store more than one mux? I am just wondering cos i get saorview from Meaghara, channel 48. So when i scan there all is good, but if i scan another channel, i will lose all existing channels from 48. So wondering how this will work. thanks


yes, loads.

But it can only connect to one mux per tuner. Hence single Tuner PVR is only any use if the TV works with Saorview directly (like VHS works with one tuner). If you use the "box" as the tuner for a TV that doesn't do Saorview, then if the channel to be recorded is not on same mux as one you want to watch, it doesn't work unless it's a dual tuner.

Usually "proper" PVRs for Digital are thus dual tuner, especially Satellite as very few TVs have Satellite Tuners built in.

2 people have thanked this post
skytaz Registered User
#10

lads if u are going to spend money on the saorview products buy a good product not a crock of **** like the walker stuff it is made in a plant in turkey and the picture and sound quality is **** . what u need is a mpeg 4 tv whit mheg 5 as well triax make a good box its a tr112

glineli Registered User
#11

watty said:
yes, loads.

But it can only connect to one mux per tuner. Hence single Tuner PVR is only any use if the TV works with Saorview directly (like VHS works with one tuner). If you use the "box" as the tuner for a TV that doesn't do Saorview, then if the channel to be recorded is not on same mux as one you want to watch, it doesn't work unless it's a dual tuner.

Usually "proper" PVRs for Digital are thus dual tuner, especially Satellite as very few TVs have Satellite Tuners built in.


So if i am watching something on mux 1, and i decide to watch a channel on mux 2, e.g. rte2 HD, do i need to retune my single tuner tv?

Sam Russell Moderator
#12

glineli said:
So if i am watching something on mux 1, and i decide to watch a channel on mux 2, e.g. rte2 HD, do i need to retune my single tuner tv?


No it does not work like that. The TV on analogue tunes in whatever number of channels it finds. You select the one you want and watch it. With DTT, you do the same, but the channel is part of the mux, and the TV selects the appropriate mux, and then the appropriate channel. In the UK, they have 6 or so muxes to choose from and each one has 6 or 7 channels on it.

Once you have tuned your TV, it stays tuned (normally, unless something changes).

2 people have thanked this post
liamtech Registered User
#13

skytaz said:
lads if u are going to spend money on the saorview products buy a good product not a crock of **** like the walker stuff it is made in a plant in turkey and the picture and sound quality is **** . what u need is a mpeg 4 tv whit mheg 5 as well triax make a good box its a tr112


Disagree entirely - Walker aren't a premium brand, thats just a fact - but their equipment is fairly decent for the price - ive seen and setup several walker TV's and found them to be no better or worse then mopst other low/medium end TV's - as for their digibox, if someone is getting terrible sound quality then its usually their TV or connections that are at fault -

As for Triax, after the Fiasco with the ST-HD537 MHEG5 Combo box (See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056168690) I wouldnt buy them if they were the last company in existance - Shockingly there is yet to be a move with regards to solving these shortcomings, and the ST-HD537 seems to have fallen off the edge of the earth!

I have to admire and commend Walker on being the first company to be truly saorview certified - Have you ever actually used walker products or are you just ditching them because there cheap?

applewoodgo Registered User
#14

liamtech said:


Have a look at http://www.tvtrade.ie/blog/ second item on the blog.

chuckrea Banned
#15

After ringing around the impression I'm getting is that the Triax TR112 is the better box , recording on both of them is through USB port on the back of the box.. ie You use a 2gb,4gb USB memory stick as your harddrive... Triax is my choice anyway... Seemingly better for recording etc etc..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!