Reganovski Registered User
#1

Hi, recently a friend of mine car broke down. She took it to a mechanic, with his own garage in town (near Cork), who told her it was the fan-belt and fixed it for €50.

So after fixing she drove had to drive to Dublin but not far from Dublin, her car broke down again. AA had to take her to another mechanic in Dublin who fixed the fan-belt again but this time it cost €180 because when the fan belt broke, it broke some other tank as well. (Sorry about the lack of specifics but I know nothing bout cars )

Anyways because the first mechanic didn't fix it properly, she now out of pocket by €180. The Dublin mechanic is adamant it wouldn't have happened if the first mechanic had fixed the fan belt correctly in the first place. He says the belt wasn't tightened correctly or something like that.

Both mechanics have talked on the phone as my friend got them to ring each other. Anyways the Dublin mechanic is adamant he is correct while the first mechanic is refusing to pay the bill of €180. She threatened him with the small claims court but he said "Grand, work away!!".

So what are her options now? She doesnt really want to go to the small claims court but maybe she has no choice.....

mickdw Registered User
#2

It might be hard to prove the exact cause of the additional work required.

#3

chalk it up to experience and move on?

Reganovski Registered User
#4

mickdw said:
It might be hard to prove the exact cause of the additional work required.


She got the tank that broke apparently and proves it was the timing belt that caused it. She showed it to the first mechanic but she just shrugged his shoulders.

andyseadog said:
chalk it up to experience and move on?


Experience??

mickdw Registered User
#5

andyseadog said:
chalk it up to experience and move on?


Im inclined to agree. Its pretty sh1t but still given the amount of money, its not worth the stress of it all.

1 person has thanked this post
#6

i should have elaborated, apologies.

as above, its unfortunate for your friend, and bad form on the part of the first mechanic and i know times are tight, but is it really worth dragging someone through the courts for 180 quid.

just take your business elsewhere next time, and tell your friends to give his garage a wide berth, that should do.

#7

Reganovski said:
She got the tank that broke apparently and proves it was the timing belt that caused it. She showed it to the first mechanic but she just shrugged his shoulders.



Experience??




Fan belt or timing belt? This is getting confusing. It couldn't surely have been a timing belt issue for either of those prices.


If the fan belt came off again, after you had an issue with it fixed, or more likely, had it changed, and it damaged the(expansion bottle, ps tank???) then whoever did the job first is responsible.
If there was some further issue that he couldn't fix at the time you should still have been made fully aware of it and perhaps the possibility that it may have been only a temperary repair.

2 people have thanked this post
dharn Registered User
#8

supposing the first belt broke because of an intermittent fault say a water pump starting to sieze up or bearings in an alternator getting stiff due to failure and he fitted new belt and found everything ok let the lady off charged her only 50 euro which was not too bad, but the long drive caused the pump or alternator to sieze and snap the new belt then the first mechanic could not be really responsible

#9

dharn said:
supposing the first belt broke because of an intermittent fault say a water pump starting to sieze up or bearings in an alternator getting stiff due to failure and he fitted new belt and found everything ok let the lady off charged her only 50 euro which was not too bad, but the long drive caused the pump or alternator to sieze and snap the new belt then the first mechanic could not be really responsible


But a decent mechanic would check for the cause of a problem. There is no way you would just fit a new belt to a car that came in with it snapped without checking all pullies/guides/tensioners etc.

bluegoldmaster Registered User
#10

hello

i have 05w nissan almera 1.5 petrol van (no air con) fan belts very noisy need to be replaced just asking if anyone one knows how much are they?
are they easy to install ??

thanks

Toyotafanboi Moderator
#11

bluegoldmaster said:
hello

i have 05w nissan almera 1.5 petrol van (no air con) fan belts very noisy need to be replaced just asking if anyone one knows how much are they?
are they easy to install ??

thanks


i changed a fan belt for a friend on a 1.5 petrol nissan tiida (if thats the same engine), afaik the belt was around €15 and all i needed was 2x 10mm spanners. if you're any way handy you'd probably tackle it yourself.

bluegoldmaster Registered User
#12

thanks

where did u buy them ??

Toyotafanboi Moderator
#13

bluegoldmaster said:
thanks

where did u buy them ??


my local motor factors, its a generic enough belt, most places would have one

bluegoldmaster Registered User
#14

hey

thanks mate ill let u know how i get on !!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!