lordgoat Moderator
#16

ghostdancer said:
i'd agree that it seems like the management that are mainly to blame.
i was talking to one of the weekday djs a few weeks ago, and they pretty much admitted that they hate a lot of the stuff they have to play, and wish they could play a lot more leftfield stuff.
obviously they can't play a show full of Sonic Youth or tUnE-yArDs etc., but they should have a lot more freedom in what they play.
there's only so many times you can hear KoL, Two Door Cinema Club or Ham Sandwich during the day, every day.

i think the playlist is a lot at fault too. there's some good stuff on there, some rubbish IMO, but the main problem is that things stick around on it too long, and are overplayed. you can hear some of the playisted songs 5 or 6 times from 9am - 5pm.
it doesn't help that a lot of them are generic bland indie-pop like The Vaccines or The Wombats.

i very rarely listen to Phantom during the day anymore. i listen to the Dublin City FM drivetime show which is on from 4-7 (which plays a lot of indie stuff that only gets played on the nighttime/specialist Phantom shows) , or Newstalk or mp3s/cds before that depending on where I am.not even going to start on the B.S. chat nonsense in the afternoon.



for dub radio that's where it's at. Give DubCity a text in and John Neary will normally play what you're looking for. They also give away 3 hours of parking to pretty much everyone so it's another plus point

#17

lordgoat said:
for dub radio that's where it's at. Give DubCity a text in and John Neary will normally play what you're looking for. They also give away 3 hours of parking to pretty much everyone so it's another plus point

Are you serious? Do people actually do this? Why not just put the song you want to hear on on your iPod?

lordgoat Moderator
#18

does your ipod give away free parking? !!

i don't load my ipod with every song i have, normally a few new albums and one or two old playlists. Sometimes you want to hear something not on it, sometimes you want to text in and say 'good music, thanks, nice listening, etc'

Adiaga 2 Registered User
#19

lordgoat said:
does your ipod give away free parking? !!

i don't load my ipod with every song i have, normally a few new albums and one or two old playlists. Sometimes you want to hear something not on it, sometimes you want to text in and say 'good music, thanks, nice listening, etc'


Are you John Neary? !!

Live Drive can be good and I like the quiz on fridays especially when my wife is in the car - drive her mad with my "Yusss!", "Get in!", "'Ave it!", "Back a da net!" and occasional "Jurassic Park!" for some reason. Never text in though. Must start.

Down side of Dub City is the sound quality. In my car, at least, it's pretty bad. He does play some good stuff though and not as repeaty as phantom. And listening to endless traffic reports can be more interesting than the filler stuff on phantom too.

lordgoat Moderator
#20

Adiaga 2 said:
Are you John Neary? !!

Live Drive can be good and I like the quiz on fridays especially when my wife is in the car - drive her mad with my "Yusss!", "Get in!", "'Ave it!", "Back a da net!" and occasional "Jurassic Park!" for some reason. Never text in though. Must start.

Down side of Dub City is the sound quality. In my car, at least, it's pretty bad. He does play some good stuff though and not as repeaty as phantom. And listening to endless traffic reports can be more interesting than the filler stuff on phantom too.



I wish!

You should also work in a 'side pocket' and 'in off the red' into your routine.

#21

I too have tuned out phantom. Radio nova for me for the last year...i just couldnt take any more crap high stringed repetitive riffing over fast paced high hat beats....YAWN!

cat_rant Registered User
#22

I still listen to Phantom in the morning and early evenings. I find though that the pure morning team are becoming more pretentious and have private jokes on air. It's like having to overhear a conversation between two chums in the office who think they are the bomb rather than engaging with their audience. Which is very sad as this time last year their show was much more enjoyable.

I can't stand Muireann O' Connell I really don't see her fitting with the phantom brand of airplay at all. As soon as I hear her I turn over to something else as I know within minutes I will be bored beyond belief.

And Richie Ryan is now barely heard on regular radio hours which I am very sad about as I would view him as one of the better d.j.'s

I have been an avid fan of phantom for years ever since myself and my then teenage friend struggled to tune in to a signal in her kitchen many many years ago before the station was licensed. I am sad because I can see that the changes are leading to a more generic radio station and may net a larger listening base but it will loose it's core identity.

qwert2 Registered User
#23

CiaranC said:
Are you serious? Do people actually do this? Why not just put the song you want to hear on on your iPod?



In that case why have music radio at all?

There's nothing better than sharing a quality song with fellow listeners.

Oh and I agree Phantom is for the birds. Too obsessed with having female presenters who speak with a funny accent

Ultimate Ultan Registered User
#24

Yer one Muireann, the new afternoon presenter has no personality. She should just play music. She just can't engage with the listeners.

Phantom FM, RIP I'm afraid. I used to love it.

Birneybau Registered User
#25

Ultimate Ultan said:
Yer one Muireann, the new afternoon presenter has no personality. She should just play music. She just can't engage with the listeners.

Phantom FM, RIP I'm afraid. I used to love it.


The way she says 'How are ya?' is really annoying!

Sugarlumps Registered User
#26

I stopped listening years ago, diabolical station. Jaysus it was great back in the day though, a real life saver.

Now it’s just like every other station yapping about mediocre nonsense and funny little antidotes whilst playing garbage tunes. Nova or the guy pod.

1 person has thanked this post
Tabnabs Registered User
#27

I have Phantom as the very last station on the presets now. I'll only tune into it as a last resort.

Another vote for BBC6 Music, it's what internet radios were built for. Such a shame I can't get it in the car. Their Sunday line-up is particularly impressive.

2 people have thanked this post
ladermoon Registered User
#28

Same thing happened to my friend, sry to hear that!


---------------
http://wickedguitartuner.com

qwert2 Registered User
#29

"Phantom deleted from my radio presets"


Me too, me too. Along with FM104, 98FM, SPIN and 2FM

For Dublin poeple.... 106.4 is quite good. They play some random stuff

McGaggs Registered User
#30

My car stereo stopped plaing Phantom about a month ago. The display went from showing 'Phantom' to showing 'PHANTOM'. After that, if it does manage to find the station, it goes silent after about 10 seconds. All the other crappy stations are fine.

Anyone know what the story is?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!