seoirse1980 Registered User

Anybody know the full story with the lads that drove from the rathdrum direction to clane last week? They allegedly had 31 deer in an open trailer , which also contained two stags. They drove by a ranger and when they arrived at the game dealer there was a ranger waiting for them and were questioned etc???

bazza888 Registered User

thats nuts,i dont shoot deer but i cant understand how they can get away with bringing 31 deer in if its true,if you have a sec42 does that mean if theres 30deer on a farmers land you could shoot them all in the one night legally?game dealers paying money makes it to tempting for greedy people to go overboard killing everything in sight.

sounds more like npws rangers doing a cull i would have thought

seoirse1980 said:
Anybody know the full story with the lads that drove from the rathdrum direction to clan last week? They allegedly had 31 deer in an open trailer , which also contained two stags. Drove by a ranger and when they arrived at the game dealer they were questioned etc???

Must have been a big trailer, 3-4 deer is most car trailers, did the trailer have creels?

Must have been a turf trailer

1 person has thanked this post
bazza888 Registered User

yeah tack come to think of it the animal carcass disposal people were about the other day he had a small lorry with a tipper it was pretty full with 3cows and a pony in it!he needed a winch to get the pony in as it had go on top of the cows,31 deer would be a fair stack!

I believe the trailer was about 12 feet long. The rangers were waiting for them when they arrived at the dealers. There was a bit of a backlog while they lined up the carcasses and photographed and processed them. The lads who brought them in were stood against a wall looking very sorry for themselves.

Glensman Registered User

Delighted if it's true.
I despise poachers.

Surely you have to give some ID or documentation to game dealers for traceability?

You would imagine so. I wonder have any of the cases this season in relation to poaching gone to court? I've heard of a few now.

clivej Registered User

I have read with interest many stories on boards.ie of poachers and game dealers
So what's the story can anyone just bring a deer to the game dealer and get
money for it? What do you have to show

You have to fill out a form. With your name, deer license number and sex of the animal and area that you shot the animal in. Well that's in Glenmalure anyway.

stick shooter Registered User

Just your licence

stick shooter Registered User

seoirse1980 said:
You have to fill out a form. With your name, deer license number and sex of the animal and area that you shot the animal in. Well that's in Glenmalure anyway.

Bad part not all game dealers look for them details. I no a friend of mine droped in a deer to a certon game dealer (one which was surplice to requirement ) and he was shocked ,Never asked for a deer licence or even did he have the correct calibre .

J. Ramone Registered User

If they hadn't been spotted the ranger, would the delivery have been accepted and processed through the books without any questions or reporting? With 31 animals it would be unlikely that this was the first suspicious delivery. Game dealers to some extent must rely on supply from honest sources. Personally, I'd want some assurance that I am supplying to an honest broker before I would supply a carcass.

ballistic Registered User

From what I hear there was a major player (150 -200 animals a season) in the wicklow area caught.
Thankfully the powers that be seem to be more successful lately.
Poachers are ruining our sport. Deer numbers in wicklow have taken a serious decline. You will see a system yet where you will be given 5 tags at the start of the season and that will be it. Some believe that numbers will never recover.

How long will these poachers be put out of action for?

Will they be given a hunting licence in 2 years time?

Well I still have yet to hear of one prosecution apart from the case in Kerry. I think last year or the one before.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!