detonator1979 Registered User
#1

Hi
I ordered a rear car bumper from Germany the seller used DPD and the driver called me and arranged where to leave it and all was fine.
I also ordered a front car bumper from Germany and DHL was the courier.
I ordered both at the same time and a week had passed since the DPD delivery.

I contacted the seller and asked where was the front bumper he sent me tracking details to say the bumper had been delivered.
I contacted DHL and after a few calls had been told the driver left the bumper in a garage and had signed it himself.

I told him I did courier work before and said that was not standard procedure, that no notes were left, none of my family had signed for it, it was possibly in a different property, and the driver had forged a signature.

He also said I might have to contact seller to put a claim in? and admitted driver signed for it himself
I asked him to give driver my number and I meet him in the village so he can show me where he left it without me showing him where my house is.
The driver never called anyways.
He then said he was getting a supervisor to look into it and they would get back to me.

I have a copy of POD emailed to me which was fraudulently signed by the DHL driver, I am €200 lighter and without a product.

I will never use DHL for delivery's and I feel they should sort this out as fraud was committed by the driver and possibly theft of my bumper.

Any thoughts and has anyone had similar experiences?

#2

Did the driver sign as him or herself or as you the recipient? If they signed as themselve then there is no fraud or deception. They may well have left the bumper as claimed in the garage and you could have sold it and making all this up. And there's the problem that the courier has. Your signature is proof of delivery and they have none.

Really you have to look at both the terms and conditions of the sale and the dlivery. If you arranged carriage then you need to take it up with the carrier. If the seller arranged carriage included in the price then check the T&C's as you may be able to claim that the seller did not deliver and your beef is with teh seller. It can be complicated.

jimmynokia Registered User
#3

from been in the transport business myself if the driver arranged with a customer to leave something there or in a place with your permission thats fine and its at your loss if it went missing
if the driver signs the POD himself he is liable and you can claim DHL for that
some companies now that have regular customers and they might not be in and have arranged for the driver to leave something in a particular place(which is very common i might add) the company will give this customer a form to sign to say this is ok for the driver to leave something there on the premises or in a safe place around it
you should go to DHL and they by right have to reimburse you with your loss simple as that this happens alot and the driver could be either suspended or fired this would be at the company's discretion

detonator1979 Registered User
#4

No nothing was arranged with me and the driver.

The driver signed my surname as the signature.

The seller arranged delivery and was included in the sale.

The DHL driver should have left contact details to arrange a delivery.

I have no problem arranging something if the driver calls and no one is present.

jimmynokia Registered User
#5

its still down to the driver forging signature if he cant show you where he left it then its either gone missing or stolen DHL are the ones that have to reimburse you.

jimmynokia Registered User
#6

BrianD said:
Did the driver sign as him or herself or as you the recipient? If they signed as themselve then there is no fraud or deception. They may well have left the bumper as claimed in the garage and you could have sold it and making all this up. And there's the problem that the courier has. Your signature is proof of delivery and they have none.

Really you have to look at both the terms and conditions of the sale and the dlivery. If you arranged carriage then you need to take it up with the carrier. If the seller arranged carriage included in the price then check the T&C's as you may be able to claim that the seller did not deliver and your beef is with teh seller. It can be complicated.



if driver signed this himself there is a case to be had
the driver should come to the house and show the customer where he left it if he cant do that he didnt go there simple as that

P. Breathnach Registered User
#7

jimmynokia said:
its still down to the driver forging signature if he cant show you where he left it then its either gone missing or stolen DHL are the ones that have to reimburse you.


My interpretation is that the seller made the delivery arrangement and chose the carrier. If that is so, the onus is possibly on the seller to have things remedied. It looks like a case where OP should study the T&Cs before deciding who to pursue.

#8

Surely forged signature = fraud = matter for the Police ?

jimmynokia Registered User
#9

its not company policy for any carrier just to leave something at somebodys house as this has been an ongoing practice for years now, this has brought up ridiculous fraudulent claims to the carrier which means they are at loss this is why POD is critical unless arranged differently .

jimmynokia Registered User
#10

Mike 1972 said:
Surely forged signature = fraud = matter for the Police ?


pending on value and the sender or companys discretion YES

#11

jimmynokia said:
pending on value and the sender or companys discretion YES


Surely the discretion of the person whose signature was forged would be the main consideration ?

jimmynokia Registered User
#12

Mike 1972 said:
Surely the discretion of the person whose signature was forged would be the main consideration ?



hopefully to close topic
the OP has to go to DHL where HE CAN CLAIM for the item
the driver forged signatory this is fraud unless pre advised by recipient via phone call or written arrangement
the driver should have written left in safe place/garage for example not his name or the recipients name

dudara Administrator
#13

jimmynokia said:
hopefully to close topic
the OP has to go to DHL where HE CAN CLAIM for the item
the driver forged signatory this is fraud unless pre advised by recipient via phone call or written arrangement
the driver should have written left in safe place/garage for example not his name or the recipients name


I'm afraid this is incorrect. The OP should contact the seller of the items, as it was the seller who contracted with DHL. The OP should inform the seller that they have not received the goods and the seller should proceed against DHL.

The OP has no contract with DHL

4 people have thanked this post
#14

dudara said:
I'm afraid this is incorrect. The OP should contact the seller of the items, as it was the seller who contracted with DHL. The OP should inform the seller that they have not received the goods and the seller should proceed against DHL.

The OP has no contract with DHL


I've neve come across a case where the driver signed the recipients name but surely in this case as the recipients sig was forged then the OP needs to take this up with DHL directly?

If it was me I would phone them up Monday morning and give them a deadline of Monday evening to resolve, stating you will get the guards involved if it's not resolved.

1 person has thanked this post
E.T. Registered User
#15

I had the similar experience recently - checked the DHL tracking number to see it had been signed for by someone I'd never heard of, with an unusual name. I only have a few neighbours and knew it wasn't any of them. Rang the company I'd ordered from, and they confirmed it was my item that had been signed for.

Later that night one of my neighbours arrived to my door with my package. It had been left outside their house, on a rainy day and they had only noticed it a while after they arrived home. They have the same surname as me, but were not home when the delivery was made, another neighbour had directed the driver to their house, same surname, but different house number. They'd never heard of the person who signed for it. The package was clearly labelled with the exact address, including house number - I have a large house number on the house.

The company who I ordered from in the first place said they would start an investigation with DHL, because this is clearly unacceptable to either consumer or business.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!