TM RACING Registered User

I saw a Nutcracker in UCD today under a yew tree. It was very tame and I am just wondering are they rare or common?

Nutcracker (Nucifraga caryocatactes)? Are you serious? I mean ~ forgive me, but ~ are ye sure it wasn't a winter plumaged Starling? What was its tail like?

Only, if ye've genuinely clinched a Nutcracker ....? I think I'd better go and lie down!

No not a starling. Im sure of what I saw.My brother also saw the same bird in the same place last year. The attached image is identical to what I saw. I know well that if I wait in the same spot tomorrow I willl see it again. I got to within 1 metre from it. I would not have said it unlesss I was sure.

Attachments
imagesCA1Q4VNV.jpg
Srameen Registered User

Not a hope. Take a picture next time please.

Srameen said:
Not a hope. Take a picture next time please.

I am not trying to stir s**t, I am just reporting on what I saw. I will be around the area again tomorow so I will keep my eyes open. If anyone has any other suggestions as to what it might be I will look up pictures but I am confident it is what I say it is, even it sounds crazy.

Please do get a shot of it, just for the record. Only, forgive the stuff about the starling ~ one has to try these things ~ but the tameness is almost diagnostic with 'Crackers. I'm sure I've seen shots of one sitting on a Birders head! Seriously!

Dunno about it appearing in the same place like this? Birds can be weird though.

Get us a clear shot or three and it can go out on the wires. No doubt make some Very happy Twitchers!

Cardynal Registered User

Very hard to believe it's a Nutcracker , i'm afraid a picture is your only hope of convincing me , much more likely to be a winter-plumaged Starling or perhaps even a Young Mistle Thrush.
What size was it , Nutcrackers would be much larger than a Starling about Jackdaw size with a thick dagger-like bill.
By the way i hope you are right

I will try my best, I know I sound like a looney making statements like this but I am sure of what I saw so now all I have to do is prove it. I will bring the camera to college tomorrow.

It was the size of a jay and I am sureit was none of the above as they are regular visitors to the feeders in my garden. I am not an expert but I know that what I saw was not common. The second i got home I searched both books and the web and it was identical to the attached image above. I dont blame people being suspicious, after all who am I? I could be a long sighted, but now I am convinced to prove it.

There is a semi albino blackbird in UCD. I usually see it near O'Reilly Hall. The colouring is variagated black and white. Maybe this is what you saw?

2 people have thanked this post
LostCovey Registered User

TM RACING said:
I saw a Nutcracker in UCD today under a yew tree. It was very tame and I am just wondering are they rare or common?

Where was the yew tree on the campus?

LostCovey

If you head for the AIB after coming in off the N11 they are on the right just after the running track but before the road ends whare the barrier is.

Half-cocked Registered User

If it is a Nutcracker, there is the possibility of it being an escapee rather than a wild bird - although I don't know if anyone would have a captive one in Ireland. A photo is needed!

sables2 Registered User

Half-cocked said:
If it is a Nutcracker, there is the possibility of it being an escapee rather than a wild bird - although I don't know if anyone would have a captive one in Ireland. A photo is needed!

I agree Half-cocked. We ALL wanna see the suspect - Nutcracker?? It's so exciting. I think we should give the guy some 'rope'...it could have been captive and let go/escaped ...if it is the one.

LostCovey Registered User

TM RACING said:
If you head for the AIB after coming in off the N11 they are on the right just after the running track but before the road ends whare the barrier is.

I won't be in Dublin for a week or so, but I would love to see a photo in the meantime! Even a bad one.....

LC

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!