bijou Registered User

Just wondered if anyone knows what the story is with the Abbeyfield Hotel in Ballaghaderreen? Has it shut down or is it now only open on a weekend??

baldbear Registered User

Looks like the hotel is back opening.

Who owns it?Nama? They must be delighted.

beggars_bush Registered User

Nope.

somebody else bought it as far as I know - recently too
would be interesting to know who

tom_k Registered User

beggars_bush said:
Nope.

This is the general gist of what's happening. I read somewhere earlier that a "Cork based consortium" had bought the premises.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0106/843183-ballaghaderreen-roscommon-refugees/

1 person has thanked this post
Mongfinder General Registered User

Hmmm, well that happened quickly. And what a surprise, in a constituency with no government (Fine Gael) TD's. A kick in the stones for Ming and the lads. Now, as ye have proved that ye are fine upstanding Christian citizens in the marriage referendum, sure ye won't mind taking a few more when the relations arrive...

Mongfinder General said:
Hmmm, well that happened quickly. And what a surprise, in a constituency with no government (Fine Gael) TD's. A kick in the stones for Ming and the lads. Now, as ye have proved that ye are fine upstanding Christian citizens in the marriage referendum, sure ye won't mind taking a few more when the relations arrive...

what has a marriage referendum got to do with it?

Roscommon has a MINISTER

4 people have thanked this post
Geuze Registered User

beggars_bush said:
Nope.

The disused hotel in Ballaghaderreen that is to be turned into a emergency reception centre was acquired by a development company that has also bought a number of other properties in the Co Roscommon town.

Combin Properties Limited, c/o Remcoll Capital, Bandon, Co Cork, bought the former 40-bed Abbeyfield Hotel in July 2015.

It is understood an associated company also acquired more than 50 houses in the nearby River Oaks estate for about €500,000 last year. Combin is not a registered Irish company. There is a company of that name in Bermuda.

beggars_bush said:
what has a marriage referendum got to do with it?

Roscommon has a MINISTER

Not towing the line and voting against the main parties policy on gay marriage. Which is "they're all for it." How dare they.

The govt minister you speak of is not a member of the FG party. FG do not want to deal with non party members in govt. They have to. So dumping refugees in the constituency isn't going to help that particular minister's chances of being reelected.

Gebgbegb Moderator

Geuze said:
The disused hotel in Ballaghaderreen that is to be turned into a emergency reception centre was acquired by a development company that has also bought a number of other properties in the Co Roscommon town.

Combin Properties Limited, c/o Remcoll Capital, Bandon, Co Cork, bought the former 40-bed Abbeyfield Hotel in July 2015.

It is understood an associated company also acquired more than 50 houses in the nearby River Oaks estate for about €500,000 last year. Combin is not a registered Irish company. There is a company of that name in Bermuda.

Interesting! I wonder when the tender for the Dept of justice was put out.

cocoman Registered User

Gebgbegb said:
Interesting! I wonder when the tender for the Dept of justice was put out.

Expressions of interest were to be received by Dept of Justice by 23rd October 2015.
I don't know when it was advertised.

So this facility wouldn't have been available at the time to express an interest in housing refugees

Interesting

yabadabado Registered User

Mongfinder General said:
Not towing the line and voting against the main parties policy on gay marriage. Which is "they're all for it." How dare they.

The govt minister you speak of is not a member of the FG party. FG do not want to deal with non party members in govt. They have to. So dumping refugees in the constituency isn't going to help that particular minister's chances of being reelected.

Stop posting absolute garbage.I'd safely say this will have absolutely no consequences to the minister you mention getting reelected.

2 people have thanked this post

yabadabado said:
Stop posting absolute garbage.I'd safely say this will have absolutely no consequences to the minister you mention getting reelected.

I'll post what I want. You obviously know fcuk all about politics.

cocoman Registered User

beggars_bush said:
So this facility wouldn't have been available at the time to express an interest in housing refugees

Interesting

It would have been available if purchased in July 2015 as reported.

However it would have been a big gamble by the buyers especially if they didn't get the contract from Dept Justice. Would be interesting to see the recommendation by Dept officials.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!