zodac Registered User
#16

Spear                               55319
rockal                              52144
cian1500ww                          28387
hoth17                              27900
zodac                               22804
Challengemaster                     22309
Cronan                              13062
Coffee_Ninja                         9552
dwighet                              6102
SolitaryScythe                       5766
aidan_walsh                          2629
IrishTLR                             1254


247,228 points and 12 Folders. Well done everyone.

And a nice intro to the Foldathon for our new Folders too.

2 people have thanked this post
dwighet Registered User
#17

woo hoo, i got 9th place....Im happy with that...
never done this before...
Is my score reasonable for an I5 and a 6870?
And is there room for improvement(without changing my card)

zodac Registered User
#18

An i5 should get 4k+ at stock (assuming it's an i5 750), but I'm wagering that the 6870 is huring your SMP PPD...

What PPD is HFM showing for both clients together?

dwighet Registered User
#19

zodac said:
An i5 should get 4k+ at stock (assuming it's an i5 750), but I'm wagering that the 6870 is huring your SMP PPD...

What PPD is HFM showing for both clients together?

Mate this is all new to me.....I could`nt get my head around that hmf thing...I couldnt even get it fired up...maybe the battery is flat? lol
I5 760 is the cpu

zodac Registered User
#20

Didn't I set up HFM for you?

dwighet Registered User
#21

you did but i open it and its blank
do you want another crack at it?

zodac Registered User
#22

Try this first:
• Open HFM.
• Edit> Preferences> "Startup & External" tab.
• Check the "Load Configuration File" box.
• Browse to your Folding folders (I think they were saved in C:\), and then into the HFM folder. Choose the config.hfm file.

Solitaire Moderator
#23

i5-760 should be getting 6k PPD if running 24/7 with only a light load (eg. web browsing). Heavier apps running, gaming and running a GPU client will all reduce this however.

dwighet Registered User
#24

zodac said:
Try this first:
• Open HFM.
• Edit> Preferences> "Startup & External" tab.
• Check the "Load Configuration File" box.
• Browse to your Folding folders (I think they were saved in C:\), and then into the HFM folder. Choose the config.hfm file.



Zod....Its Friday night....have been busting me balls all week in the mine to have my friday night cans and now you want me to do that lol

I will have a go at it tomorrow when the head is right...Thanks anyway...

dwighet Registered User
#25

Solitaire said:
i5-760 should be getting 6k PPD if running 24/7 with only a light load (eg. web browsing). Heavier apps running, gaming and running a GPU client will all reduce this however.


right...I was running gpu client aswell...would my score have heen better if i was only on smp? and not runnig gpu aswell?

hoth17 Registered User
#26

dwighet said:
right...I was running gpu client aswell...would my score have heen better if i was only on smp? and not runnig gpu aswell?


It really depends. Since the i5 only has four cores (ie no HT) to work with, it makes running an ATI gpu difficult. This is because ATI gpu's typically like to have a core all to themselves. They will perform best when you set the affinity of the gpu client to a core which is not under load. This means, if you are also running a smp client, you would have to set the affinity so that it is not using up one of the cores.

As I said, with only 4 cores to work with, going down to three is quite a hit for the smp client. If properly setup (using a program like WinAFC [sets up affinity and priority settings]) you likely will be able to see improvement with the ATI gpu; however, you will also risk loosing bonus points with your smp client.

My advice would be to test out both scenarios and see which will yield you more PPD. Then, if the ATI setup does increase your PPD (which it should I believe), decide if the improvement is worth the heat and extra power draw from running the gpu client.

That was quite a long explanation. Feel free to ask for any clarifications from that, some-what of a ramble, explanation.

dwighet Registered User
#27

hoth17 said:
It really depends. Since the i5 only has four cores (ie no HT) to work with, it makes running an ATI gpu difficult. This is because ATI gpu's typically like to have a core all to themselves. They will perform best when you set the affinity of the gpu client to a core which is not under load. This means, if you are also running a smp client, you would have to set the affinity so that it is not using up one of the cores.

As I said, with only 4 cores to work with, going down to three is quite a hit for the smp client. If properly setup (using a program like WinAFC [sets up affinity and priority settings]) you likely will be able to see improvement with the ATI gpu; however, you will also risk loosing bonus points with your smp client.

My advice would be to test out both scenarios and see which will yield you more PPD. Then, if the ATI setup does increase your PPD (which it should I believe), decide if the improvement is worth the heat and extra power draw from running the gpu client.

That was quite a long explanation. Feel free to ask for any clarifications from that, some-what of a ramble, explanation.


That sounds doable.. Just have to sort out this HFM thing first so I can see whats going on..... Looks like I have a busy day tomorrow....

Thanks

zodac Registered User
#28

hoth17 said:
It really depends. Since the i5 only has four cores (ie no HT) to work with, it makes running an ATI gpu difficult. This is because ATI gpu's typically like to have a core all to themselves. They will perform best when you set the affinity of the gpu client to a core which is not under load. This means, if you are also running a smp client, you would have to set the affinity so that it is not using up one of the cores.

As I said, with only 4 cores to work with, going down to three is quite a hit for the smp client. If properly setup (using a program like WinAFC [sets up affinity and priority settings]) you likely will be able to see improvement with the ATI gpu; however, you will also risk loosing bonus points with your smp client.

My advice would be to test out both scenarios and see which will yield you more PPD. Then, if the ATI setup does increase your PPD (which it should I believe), decide if the improvement is worth the heat and extra power draw from running the gpu client.

That was quite a long explanation. Feel free to ask for any clarifications from that, some-what of a ramble, explanation.


Lrn2summarise.

dwighet Registered User
#29

zodac said:
Lrn2summarise.


Better still...I just gotta lrn what im doin..... Not easy for an old dog thats finding it hard to lrn new tricks

zodac Registered User
#30

Lol, stop asking questions when you're not ready to hear the answer then. I could go on for quite some time.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!