coffeehead Registered User
#1

I was thinking of putting this course with a language as my first option. Was just wondering if the college are flexible on the language modules. Would I be able to do German instead of French/Irish? I'm also wondering how the course compares to the Journalism one in DCU. I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Any feedback would be great.

The Volt Registered User
#2

Afraid German isn't an option. The School of Media has effectively severed ties with the School of Languages. Only French is an option as far as I'm aware of.

Bucklesman Registered User
#3

French and Irish are available. This year we've been bundled in with Media Arts students for language classes, so a wider variety of languages might be available in the future.

baz2009 Registered User
#4

Hoping to do this course when I finish school, currently in 5th year, just a few questions about it, though.

What points do you need for it?
Do you have to have Higher Level Irish?

FewFew Registered User
#5

coffeehead said:
I was thinking of putting this course with a language as my first option. Was just wondering if the college are flexible on the language modules. Would I be able to do German instead of French/Irish? I'm also wondering how the course compares to the Journalism one in DCU. I've heard mixed reviews about it.

Any feedback would be great.


German is gone. I believe my year was the last to produce a German magazine and despite there being as many of us as there was French students the German option got the axe. The German course was always an after thought for most of the powers that be, most of whom are big fans of either French and Irish.

Voltwad said:
Afraid German isn't an option. The School of Media has effectively severed ties with the School of Languages. Only French is an option as far as I'm aware of.


Yup, pretty unfortunate alright, but I can see the reasons. Lack of communications lead to many of our German deadlines clashing with our journalism ones, plus many of the German lecturers knew nothing about journalism and their attempts to appeal to us were often similar to politicians rapping to connect to da kidz.

Bucklesman said:
French and Irish are available. This year we've been bundled in with Media Arts students for language classes, so a wider variety of languages might be available in the future.


First years were always bundled in with the media arts for German/French, I doubt they're going to bring in more languages after spending so long getting rid of them.

There seems to be quite the scatter-gun approach to languages. One year had three Spanish students but on the second day they were told they couldn't do Spanish, two of them dropped out and one did German. In my year one girl did Spanish but had to do it with business students and was largely forgotten about.

Mad altogether.

Bucklesman Registered User
#6

Fewcifur said:

First years were always bundled in with the media arts for German/French, I doubt they're going to bring in more languages after spending so long getting rid of them.


I'm a second year, and we were on our own for languages last year. Who knows, the powers that be can be fickle of mind. There's no reason not to accommodate it on a logistical basis.

FewFew Registered User
#7

Bucklesman said:
I'm a second year, and we were on our own for languages last year. Who knows, the powers that be can be fickle of mind. There's no reason not to accommodate it on a logistical basis.


Yeah, there's been no reason not to accommodate various languages for quite some time, but they seem determined to get rid of them. Certainly German won't be back anytime soon unless new heads are put in place.

coffeehead Registered User
#8

Bucklesman, just wondering about the quality of the course content as well? Are the lecturers good? I've read some pretty awful things about the Student Union, and the lecturers also, but i'm not sure how much of it is significant, because all college's have their merits and disadvantages.

Bucklesman Registered User
#9

The lecturers all know their stuff imo. There are highs and lows, and naturally the lows will get more press. By and large I have found my lecturers to be enthusiastic teachers who are experts in their fields.

DIT has no more problems than the next college, outside of not having everything in the same place.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!