geld Registered User

PVincent said:
It is very easy to get sucked into believing that your long run HAS to be at PMP and if its not , its a disaster , or you are going backwards...The most important factor in the long weekend run , is time on the feet ...it really does not matter too much ,how far you are off what you perceive to be your marathon planned pace. To be honest , planning a pace for a marathon can quite easily go out the window as soon as you start a marathon and sometimes before you even start ( weather , you pick up a cold etc ) ...its far better to go with a broader plan like aiming to run as well as you can ...or to enjoy the event, or maybe to relax and take it all in...the focus on pace and time is so detrimental if you keep missing a target ...the same can be said when you are training ...we all have to accept that some days in training we feel like sh1t... it happens a fair bit when training for a marathon because of the nature of the sessions and the level of mileage ...but its the mental strength that you gain from coping with these days and parking them in the back of the mind , that should stand you in good stead on the big day...I always find a great thing to do on occasions is to run without the watch or Garmin , just get out and run for the sake of it and listen to the body telling you how you are doing rather than a thing on your arm that has no feeling ...try it , its very refreshing to do it , also a great way to run a race ....

the only other nugget I can offer Ray , is that staying positive at all times is a must ...always look for some nugget of positivity in every session because there is always one

Methinks that Mr Vincent speaks a lot of sense here!

RayCun Registered User

8.07k in 35.00

Took this one too easy - had plenty left at the end (well, not when I was actually running up the Kyber, but you know what I mean). I was under 4.00 kms for the first couple of hundred metres, and slowed down too much. Perhaps in a less crowded race I'd have knuckled down and pushed the pace, but I doubt it.

(splits- 6.49, 6.54, 6.41, 7.09, 7.17)

Anyway, going back to the beginning of the year my targets were
5k - sub 20
5 mile - sub 35
Half Marathon - sub 1.40
Marathon - sub 3.30
10k and 10 mile... sub 45 and 75

5 miles was done at Sportsworld, 10k I was just outside at Dunshaughlin and I'm confident of breaking next time, 10 mile, half and marathon are still in reach. 5k... probably not.

kmtd: 113.03

3 people have thanked this post

RayCun said:
5k... probably not.

Why is that Raycun, is it because marathon training is going to be the priority?
The reason I ask is that I was 2 minutes slower than you today and I know I'll be damn close to sub 20 in Rathfarnham (sept).
So if you want it I'd be fairly sure you can get it.

1 person has thanked this post
RayCun Registered User

Yeah, I reckon that if I did 5k training from now to September I could go sub 20 - but instead I'll be slogging around the long runs. I'm thinking after Dublin I'll spend a year running nothing longer than 10k...

W.B. Yeats Registered User

RayCun said:
8.07k in 35.00

Took this one too easy - had plenty left at the end (well, not when I was actually running up the Kyber, but you know what I mean). I was under 4.00 kms for the first couple of hundred metres, and slowed down too much. Perhaps in a less crowded race I'd have knuckled down and pushed the pace, but I doubt it.

Anyway, going back to the beginning of the year my targets were
5k - sub 20
5 mile - sub 35
Half Marathon - sub 1.40
Marathon - sub 3.30
10k and 10 mile... sub 45 and 75

5 miles was done at Sportsworld, 10k I was just outside at Dunshaughlin and I'm confident of breaking next time, 10 mile, half and marathon are still in reach. 5k... probably not.

kmtd: 113.03

Good job Ray
Nice splits until the Khyber!

See you next week hopefully

Oisin11178 Registered User

W.B. Yeats said:
Good job Ray
Nice splits until the Khyber!

See you next week hopefully

You donthave to do specific 5k or 10k training mate. Just persevere with your marathon training and i bet if you do a 5k you will get under or very close to 20. 35.00 is a great result on that course.

neilc Registered User

RayCun said:
8.07k in 35.00

Great race Ray, well done. Reckon you'd have no bother breaking 20 min in a 5k based on this.

look at your heel strike ray.\tut \tut

Mr Slow Registered User

You've lost faith Ray, time to start believing again!

Dotcomdolly Registered User

look at your heel strike ray.\tut \tut

Lol thats just what I said! He says it's cos he was going so fast

RayCun Registered User

9.09k in 43.55 (4.49 average)

The old favourite - hill sessions. Decided I would finally be a bit smarter about these sessions, try to keep the pace consistent across all of the laps and run no faster than 5k effort (not 5k pace, because this is a tough enough lap)

So, warmup of just under 2k to the hill, at 5.30 pace
Lap 1 - 1370m, 5.55 (4.19 pace)
Lap 2 - 1350, 5.45 (4.17)
Lap 3 - 1330, 5.45 (4.20)
then the coach announced there'd be a 4th lap - he's always trying to sneak one in. We went a bit slower there
Lap 4 - 1340, 6.07 (4.33)
warmdown was the run back from the hill, same distance and pace

kmtd: 122.12

RayCun Registered User

8.68k in 55.40 (6.25 average)

and the run back into work. A little stiff below the right knee, but not too bad, wasn't hobbling as much as in previous weeks...

kmtd: 130.8

RayCun Registered User

16.11k in 92.03 (5.43 pace)

easy run home from work.

kmtd: 146.81

RayCun Registered User

8.54k in 51.57 (6.04 pace)

recovery run back into work. Legs were tired today, but not nearly as stiff as on previous runs, so the pace kept creeping up.

kmtd: 155.35

RayCun Registered User

Really pushed for time this morning - bringing the kids to the cinema, and they woke up later than usual so I only got up at 7. Long slow run was out of the question so broke it into three runs

6.01k in 34.47 (5.47 pace)

Easy run from home up to car park in the Park.

10k in 48.44 (4.52 pace)

Ran along some of the 10 mile route, more or less - up Chesterfield to Ordnance Survey, Upper Glen Road and the S-bends, down Military, up Wellington, and back along Chesterfield ending with a run down the Kyber.
Wellington Road is easy enough, sharp but short, I found the drag back up Chesterfield felt harder.

4.83k in 26.58 (5.35 pace)

Easy run home. As always, the pace never drops down completely after a faster run.

Not really long enough for the weekend run, but not too bad.

kmtd: 176.19

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!