Sharkey 10 Registered User
#1

Ive heard and seen good reviews about there beers but the only one i think ive seen in Ireland was the Brooklyn lager . Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
Has anyone tried their beers? What places stock them?

JnarF Registered User
#2

There's a lot of their different beers available in Ireland now. Think I even heard someone mention their lager is for sale in some SuperValu's?
I've had a few different ones. Thought they were all very good. Their 10% Chocolate Stout was very tasty but not for abusing! You can get a lot of their range on www.drinkstore.ie , used it myself a few times. Great service.

BeerNut Moderator
#3

Sharkey 10 said:
Ive heard that they are using brewing methods that were used before prohibition
Every brewery does

Sharkey 10 said:
and that they are vastly superior to most of Americas beers.
Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.

Technocentral Registered User
#4

I had a few Brooklyn East India Pale Ale's a while ago from Redmonds in Ranelagh, they were absolutely outstanding.

Sharkey 10 Registered User
#5

BeerNut said:
Every brewery does

Wouldn't go that far, but they are mostly very good, especially the lager and the Black Chocolate stout. You'll get them in most any decent beer offy or pub: the green and yellow pins on this map.

wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition

BeerNut Moderator
#6

Sharkey 10 said:
wherever i read the thing about prohibition i got the impression thst there were a lot of changes in american beers before and after prohibition
There were certainly a lot fewer breweries. But I think the marketing people for the bigger, older, craft breweries (like Brooklyn) use it as a way of saying "we don't make Bud-style light lager".

goldencleric Registered User
#7

I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now ) and i really really like it, so on the recommendation of BeerNut I headed out to drinkstore and picked up some Brooklyn Chocolate Stout which is absolutely amazing!

Got the IPA as well which was quite nice!

MANUTD99 Registered User
#8

[


QUOTE=goldencleric;68727381]I buy up a load of Brooklyn lager when it goes on special in my local Supervalu (which it is now )



Can I ask which Supervalu you have seen it on special? The nearest one to me would just be off O' Connell St!

BeerNut Moderator
#9

Aston Quay had it on special when I was in last week.

goldencleric Registered User
#10

yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place

Focalbhach Registered User
#11

I picked some up in Aston Quay today (Thursday) - the label on the shelf said that the €8.99 offer is valid until 30th October (Saturday), after which it reverts to €10-odd.

So get movin'!

MANUTD99 Registered User
#12


goldencleric said:
yeah I get mine in Swords so Aston Quay is probably the best place



Got it, drinking it and liking it.

Happily surprised with the great selection of beers available in Supervalue although I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foreign!!

Rant over,, back to my Brooklyn now!!

BeerNut Moderator
#13

MANUTD99 said:
I didnt see much Irish beers except the normal ones. Slightly annoying sometimes people think its nicer just because its foriegn!
It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.

MANUTD99 Registered User
#14

BeerNut said:
It's more a distribution issue, I'd say. The Irish micros supply direct, not through a wholesaler, so it's a lot more work for a supermarket to get them in. Especially a supermarket that's owned by a wholesaler, as I believe SuperValu is.


I understand what your saying. Just a pity we don't see some more Irish beers in there. Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.

BeerNut Moderator
#15

MANUTD99 said:
Hopefully in the future as I think we have some excellent beers available.
Absolutely. And I should counter the above by pointing out that Superquinn have always gone the extra mile for Irish craft beers. I remember buying Finian's, Biddy Early and Dublin Brewing Company in there, they stuck with Carlow all the way through and now they've added Porterhouse and (am I right here, noby?) Dungarvan is on the way.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!