ongarboy Registered User
#1

Can anyone advise why Irish Rail is advising an online timetabled service on Sunday, Oct 31 from Tralee to Dublin as follows: Depart Tralee at 19:15 and arrive in Heuston the next day at 08:15 via a connection at Mallow. This includes an 8 hour 42 min "wait" for the connecting train at Mallow. I'm assuming IR will not be offering overnight accomodation so why is this service even being offered for booking on the online timetables?

I suspect this may confuse some people if they are booking in a hurry and just note that the last train departs Tralee at 19:15 as often you may not take as much note of the arrival time and could potentially be stranded overnight in Mallow. Do any other routes offer this ridiculous "overnight" service or is it some sort of spooky Halloween offering where you spend overnight on a darkened train???

goingnowhere Registered User
#2

If you honestly tried to book this you will know the clear warning you get if you try to book the journey

Journey Summary

Outward Journey - 31 Oct 2010 Warning: Overnight Accommodation Required
Departing Tralee 19:15 Arriving Dublin Heuston 08:15

1 person has thanked this post
Ham'nd'egger Registered User
#3

ongarboy said:
Can anyone advise why Irish Rail is advising an online timetabled service on Sunday, Oct 31 from Tralee to Dublin as follows: Depart Tralee at 19:15 and arrive in Heuston the next day at 08:15 via a connection at Mallow. This includes an 8 hour 42 min "wait" for the connecting train at Mallow.


That's just how the booking system work's it out; if you preset it to leave at 19:15 it is offering you the earliest train it can to get you into Dublin. I'd suspect that other online booking systems have the same issue.

ongarboy said:
I suspect this may confuse some people if they are booking in a hurry and just note that the last train departs Tralee at 19:15 as often you may not take as much note of the arrival time and could potentially be stranded overnight in Mallow. Do any other routes offer this ridiculous "overnight" service or is it some sort of spooky Halloween offering where you spend overnight on a darkened train???


The online booking system does have "Warning: Overnight Accommodation Required" beside your booking selection so if you made that selection you can't say you weren't warned

ongarboy Registered User
#4

ok thanks. I didn't select it to get as far as the warning as I wasn't going to consider availing of that service when I saw the arrival time but at least it's good to know there is a warning. Cheers!

Ham'nd'egger Registered User
#5

ongarboy said:
ok thanks. I didn't select it to get as far as the warning as I wasn't going to consider availing of that service when I saw the arrival time but at least it's good to know there is a warning. Cheers!


No problems, good man There is a 17:15 and 17:50 ex Tralee that will get you into Dublin before 22:00 and a 05:15 on the Monday as well so they should suit as well.

KC61 Registered User
#6

Ham'nd'egger;68709409
That's just how the booking system work's it out; if you preset it to leave at 19:15 it is offering you the earliest train it can to get you into Dublin. I'd suspect that other online booking systems have the same issue.


The online booking system does have "Warning: Overnight Accommodation Required" beside your booking selection so if you made that selection you can't say you weren't warned


Indeed they do - I've seen this on many other rail operators' websites.

3 people have thanked this post
foggy_lad Banned
#7

if you are just checking times of trains on the website and see a train departing tralee but fail to notice it involves an overnight stay in mallow this warning in the booking section is of no benefit to you. most people will assume that if a train departs this evening it will continue to its destination tonight and not first thing in the morning.

1 person has thanked this post
schemingbohemia Registered User
#8

foggy_lad said:
if you are just checking times of trains on the website and see a train departing tralee but fail to notice it involves an overnight stay in mallow this warning in the booking section is of no benefit to you. most people will assume that if a train departs this evening it will continue to its destination tonight and not first thing in the morning.


I know you're not most people foggy lad but would most people not check the arrival time? In this case they would notice that it would nearly be quicker to walk to dublin and they might then just check the details?

foggy_lad Banned
#9

schemingbohemia said:
I know you're not most people foggy lad but would most people not check the arrival time? In this case they would notice that it would nearly be quicker to walk to dublin and they might then just check the details?

they might but others may well be happy to check the departure time so as to arrive at the station in time for the train and may not notice the late arrival time in dublin.

schemingbohemia Registered User
#10

foggy_lad said:
they might but others may well be happy to check the departure time so as to arrive at the station in time for the train and may not notice the late arrival time in dublin.


Are we really obliged to ensure that stupid people don't suffer because of their inability to read?

Should IE deny that there is a train leaving Tralee at that time?

dowlingm Registered User
#11

A lot of airline sites (BA and expedia come immediately to mind) warn of overnight stays. One other way is that travel time is displayed so if one says 2hr and one 14hr you know which one is an overnight.

Oliver1985 Registered User
#12

The usual hit down ask questions later going on here ..................................................


Victor Registered User
#13

In fairness it presents all the information departure time, arrival time and connection times.

Attachments
Tralee-Dublin.PNG
L1011 Moderator
#14

I could forsee anyone who takes this option being issued with and having to appeal a penalty fare when stopped in Heuston for using a "day old ticket" on arrival.

Victor Registered User
#15

MYOB said:
I could forsee anyone who takes this option being issued with and having to appeal a penalty fare when stopped in Heuston for using a "day old ticket" on arrival.


No, you are entitle to continue into the next day where you can't complete your trip on the same day. Otherwise a trip crossing midnight (rarer these days) would cause trouble.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!