kenny1977 Registered User

nnnnobody can touch israel

Johro Registered User

Manic Moran said:
Again, read pages 14 and 15 of the report when it explains the issue. Here's the operative bit, page 15.

Under the laws of armed conflict, a blockade is the prohibition of all commerce with a defined enemy coastline. A belligerent who has established a lawful blockade is entitled to enforce that blockade on the high seas.

(If you're not familiar with the terminology, 'High Seas' = 'International Waters')

I also don't have the ability to declare blockades or states of conflicts with other people. The analogy is not particularly accurate.

NTM
You should be a lawyer..
I think it's a question of right and wrong.
Most people would see the boarding of the ship and it's violent aftermath as wrong. There is a question of proportion here. Whatever the 'perceived' legalities, excessive force was used. Just like in the 'war' on Gaza.

Johro Registered User

BlaasForRafa said:
If you weren't so phenomenally ignorant you'd realise that Sukkot is an important jewish holiday but your irrational dumbness warps your perception.
More important than peace talks?
When did 'peace' become a dirty word in any religion? Get your priorities right.

Manic Moran Moderator

Johro said:
You should be a lawyer..

Oddly enough, I did study law in college. However, all those hours spent poring over Lloyd's Law Review of 1886 or whatever in the Belfield library convinced me I wanted to do something more interesting for a living. (No offence to actual lawyers reading this, but it just wasn't for me!)

I think it's a question of right and wrong.
Most people would see the boarding of the ship and it's violent aftermath as wrong. There is a question of proportion here. Whatever the 'perceived' legalities, excessive force was used. Just like in the 'war' on Gaza.

I think you have it reversed. Legalities are generally not a matter of perception. I either rob a bank, embezzle it, or I make a legal withdrawl. Not much perception involved. Determining whether or not something is 'excessive' is purely a judgement call, which comes back to the whole reason that the Mission decided the blocade was unlawful: In its opinion, the effect was disproportionate, it then applied that subjective assessment to the objective requirements of determining legality.

NTM

3 people have thanked this post
Zebra3 Registered User

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/26/jewish-activists-gaza-israel-blockade

Should be fun.

Will they attack and kill "their own"?

1 person has thanked this post
Johro Registered User

Manic Moran said:
Oddly enough, I did study law in college. However, all those hours spent poring over Lloyd's Law Review of 1886 or whatever in the Belfield library convinced me I wanted to do something more interesting for a living. (No offence to actual lawyers reading this, but it just wasn't for me!)

I think you have it reversed. Legalities are generally not a matter of perception. I either rob a bank, embezzle it, or I make a legal withdrawl. Not much perception involved. Determining whether or not something is 'excessive' is purely a judgement call, which comes back to the whole reason that the Mission decided the blocade was unlawful: In its opinion, the effect was disproportionate, it then applied that subjective assessment to the objective requirements of determining legality.

NTM
Legalities are often a matter of perception. Judges make 'judgement calls' all the time on the evidence presented. If the action being disproportionate is 'subjective', or the opinion of the blockade being unlawful is 'subjective', so is the aid flotilla being a danger to Israel. Subjective.
It doesn't change the fact that (well-meaning) people were killed unnecessarily. The ship wasn't loaded up with rocket propelled grenades. They could have boarded, confiscated whatever they considered illegal and let them carry on.
This was, after all, an aid mission.

Zebra3 said:

Or it could be a false flag.

BlaasForRafa Registered User

Zebra3 said:

Considering its a "10-metre catamaran" they won't exactly have to use much force to stop it.

Terry Registered User

BlaasForRafa said:
If you weren't so phenomenally ignorant you'd realise that Sukkot is an important jewish holiday but your irrational dumbness warps your perception.

Could you try that again without insulting me?
Surely an intelligent person like you can tell us all why Sukkot is so important that it is deemed necessary to miss one of the most vital meetings of the year, without resorting to being so abusive about it.

Why such anger?

4 people have thanked this post
Zebra3 Registered User

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11422065

Interesting map there to show how the Israelis have managed to make life hell for the natives in the occupied West Bank.

1 person has thanked this post

Zebra3 said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11422065

Interesting map there to show how the Israelis have managed to make life hell for the natives in the occupied West Bank.

I seen that yesterday, the settlements are against international law and nobody does a thing.

[ATTACH]129146[/ATTACH]

Chairman Meow Registered User

All this because someone told the jews there was a penny buried somewhere in palestine

Chairman Meow said:
All this because someone told the jews there was a penny buried somewhere in palestine

Or because listening to that kind of joke for a few centuries just wears out the patience.....

karma_ Banned

Manic Moran said:

NTM

There's something a bit tragic about someone giving up the opportunity of a good education to join an army.

Not really.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!