kylith Registered User
#1

I'm not talking about dignity and respect, everyone should be treated that way, I'm talking about giving them power over their schedules.

I work booking kids into classes and every day I'm left gaping in disbelief as yummy-mummies ask their 4 year olds "Would you like to do the class on Monday or Tuesday?" What the hell? It's a toddler, it doesn't know what a Monday is! And all the time the kid is just repeating 'No, no no', and they have to have a specific teacher teaching or the child 'won't go'.

What the hell happened to mammies saying "You're doing this on Tuesday"? What happened to them tearing the kid a new one if they refused to go? I distinctly remember when I was a child getting lectured on how much lessons cost, and how I'd made a show of her with my feckology, and if I didn't get in there now and pay attention I'd feel the back of her hand.

Is this what's wrong with children? Have they been given too much control by wishy-washy parents and therefore gotten the impression that they can do and have and say exactly what they want?

[/rant]

34 people have thanked this post
#2

They are not children, they are little people....

irishgrover Registered User
#3

kylith said:
I'm not talking about dignity and respect, everyone should be treated that way, I'm talking about giving them power over their schedules.

I work booking kids into classes and every day I'm left gaping in disbelief as yummy-mummies ask their 4 year olds "Would you like to do the class on Monday or Tuesday?" What the hell? It's a toddler, it doesn't know what a Monday is! And all the time the kid is just repeating 'No, no no', and they have to have a specific teacher teaching or the child 'won't go'.

What the hell happened to mammies saying "You're doing this on Tuesday"? What happened to them tearing the kid a new one if they refused to go? I distinctly remember when I was a child getting lectured on how much lessons cost, and how I'd made a show of her with my feckology, and if I didn't get in there now and pay attention I'd feel the back of her hand.

Is this what's wrong with children? Have they been given too much control by wishy-washy parents and therefore gotten the impression that they can do and have and say exactly what they want?

[/rant]



If I have any preference whatsoever, or it impacts me, then I make the decision and inform them of it.
However if in reality there is a situation where there are a number of possibilities, and the outcome has no effect whatsoever on me, then more often then not, I will ask my kids (all under 8) what they prefer.
No harm in getting them to think and make decisions for themselves.

However, as I said, if I have a preference, I tell then what they are doing...

3 people have thanked this post
azezil Hosted Moderator
#4

1 person has thanked this post
bullpost Registered User
#5

Easy enough to recognise as well. They usually call the parents by their first names.

#6

kylith said:

Is this what's wrong with children? Have they been given too much control by wishy-washy parents and therefore gotten the impression that they can do and have and say exactly what they want?



http://www.organicmechanic.org/scratch/flies1.jpg

cynder Registered User
#7

I have a soon to be 11 year old, She thinks she is an adult and i have at least 1 argument aday where i have to remind her she is a child and will be treated as such till she is at least 16.

She went to dublin to visit her 3 aunts and came back with a pair of 3 inch high heal boots ( iwould not have let her buy them). She is permitted to were eye shadow and lip gloss but no foundation (untill at least 15).

Kids are growing up so fast these days.

#8

grindelwald said:


Kids are growing up so fast these days.


Take her out of school and put her to work like the good old days. That'll learn her.

2 people have thanked this post
Earthhorse Registered User
#9

As I understand it, a child's got more bones than a grown up's got, so they probably fear that, were the situation to turn violent, they would lose a fight with the child due to it's higher bone count.

8 people have thanked this post
Archeron Registered User
#10

What about Benjamin Button? Should he be treated like an adult or a child?

2 people have thanked this post
kfallon Registered User
#11

Children are the adults of tomorrow!

#12

Archeron said:
What about Benjamin Button? Should he be treated like an adult or a child?


That question never gets old.

5 people have thanked this post
flyton5 Registered User
#13

Leads to situations like this...who lets a 12yr old girl out after midnight?


http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/teenager-remanded-on-charge-of-murdering-girl-2317018.html

4 people have thanked this post
#14



That link doesn't work!

flyton5 said:
Leads to situations like this...who lets a 12yr old girl out after midnight?


http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/teenager-remanded-on-charge-of-murdering-girl-2317018.html


Exactly what i thought when I read the thread title! The papers are going to town on her.

SEPT 23 1989 Registered User
#15

And they call their children "guys"

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!