ferguson Registered User
#1

is it legal to buy rat poison? i have seen some on sale in woodies and on old posts here saw ref to storm. But i read that storm is only legally certified for indoor use

Are they harmful to other animals or any othe problem I should know about

#2

No you can buy it but how do you intend to lay the bait? A lot of people use bait boxes along rat runs so its difficult for other creatures to get at the bait.

ferguson Registered User
#3

Corsendonk said:
No you can buy it but how do you intend to lay the bait? A lot of people use bait boxes along rat runs so its difficult for other creatures to get at the bait.
that is what i am not sure of.how do you find rat runs? It is not in my garden but in a friends garden and she says she has seen them
I read that storm is only allowed indoors

#4

ferguson said:
that is what i am not sure of.how do you find rat runs? It is not in my garden but in a friends garden and she says she has seen them
I read that storm is only allowed indoors


Where did you read that? Rats are like mice, they have runs hence the term rat run! They usually stick to the sides of the garden. Place you storm bait in bait boxes alongside the side of the garden were the rats have been seen to run. You most likely seen bait points and boxes around the outside of buildings in the past. You can make a pretty decent homemade version by using old biscuit tins with a rat sized hole cut in each end and the bait block nailed in the middle of the tin. That way you can lift off the lid to see if any bait has been taken.

ferguson Registered User
#5

Corsendonk said:
Where did you read that? Rats are like mice, they have runs hence the term rat run! They usually stick to the sides of the garden. Place you storm bait in bait boxes alongside the side of the garden were the rats have been seen to run. You most likely seen bait points and boxes around the outside of buildings in the past. You can make a pretty decent homemade version by using old biscuit tins with a rat sized hole cut in each end and the bait block nailed in the middle of the tin. That way you can lift off the lid to see if any bait has been taken.
actually it is Brodifacoum that is certified for indoor use only. sorry, my mistake
edit it says Flocoumafen is extremely toxic to all mammals and is legally only certified for indoor use.Flocoumafen is storm yes?

#6

ferguson said:
actually it is Brodifacoum that is certified for indoor use only. sorry, my mistake
edit it says Flocoumafen is extremely toxic to all mammals and is legally only certified for indoor use.Flocoumafen is storm yes?


Yes, I checked out the product label and doesn't say its only for indoor use but it does say bait boxes. Where did you get your information from?

If you have an ethical issue with using Storm(if i had seen a rat I would like it dealt with ASAP) perhaps you could check out the hunting forum for ferrets. Maybe someone that lives near you has them. Very effective creatures against rats and rabbits. Not pleasant to watch but any rats that survive will run miles.

ferguson Registered User
#7

Corsendonk said:
Yes, I checked out the product label and doesn't say its only for indoor use but it does say bait boxes. Where did you get your information from?
at the link i gave

#8

If you're going to lay rat poison the best thing is to buy a length of drainpipe and put it right down in the middle of that (and put the pipe at the side of the garden), so cats, etc can't get it. Be sure to dispose of the remains of the poison once it's done its job.

And any bodies you find; cats and dogs often get poisoned by eating the corpses of poisoned rats and mice.

#9

ferguson said:
at the link i gave


UK website, pesticide approval can differ in different countries which rodenticides are classed under, unless your based in the Uk and not Ireland.

flutered Registered User
#10

use the stuff with the hole in the centre, you tie it with wire or nail it to a piece of wood, the rats usually hoad the stuff more so than eat it, if it cannot be moved the gnaw it away, it is essincial to leave them water to drink nearby, dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.

#11

flutered said:
use the stuff with the hole in the centre, you tie it with wire or nail it to a piece of wood, the rats usually hoad the stuff more so than eat it, if it cannot be moved the gnaw it away, it is essincial to leave them water to drink nearby, dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.


The stuff with the hole in the centre is called Storm.

ac08400 Registered User
#12

Storm is very effective. If using outside, do use a bait box or piece of pipe so birds etc. will not get at it. Do not nail the bait down. Storm takes about 3 days to kill them, and they will take it back to their nest for family. The 3 day thing is deliberate. Rats are clever. If something makes them feel sick quickly they vomit and will not touch it any more. They love storm and will take lots of it before it starts to effect them. I had a rat under my sink and he took about 20 pieces of it.

#13

flutered said:
dogs and cats will not eat dead rats or mice.


Not what my vet said when he regretfully put my beloved cat to sleep after a couple of weeks of trying to treat it for the poisoning from eating a poisoned mouse.

creedp Registered User
#14

Hi, been reading this thread with interst this morning as last night I caught a rat in one of my cuboards and disposed of it humanely. However, my wife is petrified that the presence of the rat will result in the children contracting all kinds of diseases including weil's disease which I have been informed has a 7 -13 day incubation period but if caught early can be sucessfully treated.

I was hoping to disinfect the said cuboard and set a trap in there in case another rat arrives - they seem to be getting in at the rear of the cuboard where the previous owner/developer located the ESB meter and as the house is drylined the rat can seemingly crawl behind the drylining and up behind the cuboard and into it via the hole left for the meter - but she want to call in Rentakill or equivalent to make sure the house is clear.

Is there a benefit to betting in Rentakill in this circumstance? What will they do other than to set traps? In people's experience, if there is one rat will there be more? I would be slow to poison rats indoors because I'd be afraid they would die behind the drylining and stink the place!


All comments welcome!

Thanks

#15

creedp said:
Hi, been reading this thread with interst this morning as last night I caught a rat in one of my cuboards and disposed of it humanely. However, my wife is petrified that the presence of the rat will result in the children contracting all kinds of diseases including weil's disease which I have been informed has a 7 -13 day incubation period but if caught early can be sucessfully treated.

I was hoping to disinfect the said cuboard and set a trap in there in case another rat arrives - they seem to be getting in at the rear of the cuboard where the previous owner/developer located the ESB meter and as the house is drylined the rat can seemingly crawl behind the drylining and up behind the cuboard and into it via the hole left for the meter - but she want to call in Rentakill or equivalent to make sure the house is clear.

Is there a benefit to betting in Rentakill in this circumstance? What will they do other than to set traps? In people's experience, if there is one rat will there be more? I would be slow to poison rats indoors because I'd be afraid they would die behind the drylining and stink the place!


All comments welcome!

Thanks


Have you tried using the foam filler to fill the hole?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!