Dostoevsky Registered User
#1

Tell me this is not true. On the Dublin side of Dunshaughlin, as you approach the village on the right-hand side, the diggers have gone in and are digging up the foundations for what is advertised as a large housing estate. I was under the impression that this side of the village was zoned for industry.

The diggers just arrived today or yesterday. If they really are starting to build a new estate here, how is it justified? It seems madness in the same country as 300,000 empty homes were recorded in earlier this year.

bitemybanger Registered User
#2

They will sell too. Tasty new houses with tasty pricetags in a nice town just minutes from Dublin with a spanking new motorway at your doorstep. The whole country isn't out of work.

2 people have thanked this post
#3

That's a seriously dangerous section of road that that is going up by, due to the Dublin bound carraigeway being squeezed against the verge to accommodate the outbound buslane.

I do hope that a condition of the planning permission was to provide a pavement along that side of the road into the village, in order for pedestrians to be able to walk to the village from the estate and to create a line of sight for cars emerging onto the main road.

That is one stretch of 60k speed limit I 100% agree with, but which most through traffic ignores. You'd realise why it was there if you had to emerge from the Esso station there, difficult enough due to obstructed sight lines and lack of margin at the best of times, but nigh on impossible when some idiot parks a truck there, which I fear will happen more often during the construction of the estate.

norbert64 Registered User
#4

lol, is this it?
http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?action=view&id=4625

Looks like they applied in 2003, but didn't actually get the green light until now

#5

norbert64 said:
lol, is this it?
http://www.friendsoftheirishenvironment.net/paperstoday/index.php?action=view&id=4625

Looks like they applied in 2003, but didn't actually get the green light until now


LOL indeed, the size of it Are they trying to start another housing boom ??

Amazing what they were thinking in 2003/2004. It'll surely be very watered down given the current economic climate.

daltonm Registered User
#6

Dostoevsky said:
Tell me this is not true. On the Dublin side of Dunshaughlin, as you approach the village on the right-hand side, the diggers have gone in and are digging up the foundations for what is advertised as a large housing estate. I was under the impression that this side of the village was zoned for industry.

The diggers just arrived today or yesterday. If they really are starting to build a new estate here, how is it justified? It seems madness in the same country as 300,000 empty homes were recorded in earlier this year.



Yep - I got a call from an EA about them, prices starting at 220k for a 3 bed - pp for 250 houses, they are starting on the first 50 to see how they do!

CUCINA Registered User
#7

Those first couple of houses are shooting up...from a foundation two or three weeks ago, now the roof structure is up and the windows are fitted.

Each house takes only weeks to build yet many of the eventual occupants will be paying for the privilege of living in them for twenty years or more.

Anyway, it will be quite interesting to see how things work out with this development, in the context of the current depressed climate. I would hope that it goes well because it would be a good omen generally...and I'm looking forward to hearing some good news!

2 people have thanked this post
daltonm Registered User
#8

daltonm said:
Yep - I got a call from an EA about them, prices starting at 220k for a 3 bed - pp for 250 houses, they are starting on the first 50 to see how they do!


Received an update on these today - the 3 bed is now 185k - a bit bad for the sellers of 3 beds looking for 240k............

happygoose Registered User
#9

Whats the name of the development?

#10

happygoose said:
Whats the name of the development?


Not sure on the name of the development but John Bannon is the selling agent.

I did not think there would be a demand for so many homes!

#11

I notice they haven't built any access roads, the two houses are literally going up in the middle of a field. Usually the access roads come first don't they ? Looks to me like they might be chancing their arms, and may have no idea whether or not there will be any worthwhile interest - if there isn't then I'd be worried it may just turn out to be another ghost estate. However, €185k for a 3 bed does sound like a tempting price given that's about half what you would have paid two or three years ago. It'll be interesting to see how it develops.

Dubh Geannain Registered User
#12

Not said:
I notice they haven't built any access roads, the two houses are literally going up in the middle of a field. Usually the access roads come first don't they ? Looks to me like they might be chancing their arms, and may have no idea whether or not there will be any worthwhile interest


Yep. Could be a couple of showhouses.

These should be competitively priced relative to similar houses on the market in the area as their overheads should be less.

However, IMHO this is a pure gamble.

Dostoevsky Registered User
#13

Dubh Geannain said:
However, IMHO this is a pure gamble.


I agree. What I'd like to know is has Meath County Council received the necessary deposits upfront from the property developer behind this or, when it fails, will we be saddled with another ghost estate with unfinished roads and services simply because MCC was negligent in its duty?

The negligence of Kildare CC, Laois CC and so many others in this regard - I surmise that most people have already read this article - should be a lesson to us all about what can happen when our local authority does not get the required deposit up front or, for that matter, allows such building work to commence in the first place.

This all sounds seriously dodgy in the current environment.

1 person has thanked this post
CUCINA Registered User
#14

I see that the showhouse is opening this Saturday and I saw them laying down a tarmac road as I drove past there earlier today...
I had an opportunity recently to have a look round the three-bedroom house (the one on the right-hand side). Smaller rooms than I expected but the house has a solid, quality feel about it. The most impressive feature, though, I think, is the third-floor area, very spacious.
The four-bedroom next door wasn't finished but looks quite substantial, with extesions to the side and the back. On the down side, the back gardens are quite small, especially when viewed in the context of the huge open spaces surrounding the two houses.
I was talking with a chap who was working today and he was saying that five houses have been sold already. He also worked on similar houses built by the same builder in Rathcoole ("Peyton") which, he said, were a good bit more expensive.
Apparently, the plan is to build 900 houses...sounds a bit grand given the current circumstances, but I hope it works out, for all concerned.
Who knows, maybe "The Willows", as the development is called, will be the flag-ship leading us out of the choppy waters of the recession!

etcetc Registered User
#15

madness

what bank is behind this or is developer having a punt with his own money

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!