hobbit stomper Registered User
#1

I started playing Ultima Online in 1999 and I've played WoW from 2004-2006, and to date I still think Ultima Online is one of the best MMORPGs ever made.

Most people started MMORPGs with WoW and are only used to Level based games. WoW is rather uncomplicated and doesn't have a big variety of features compared to other games out there, but that's probably also why it's so successful, most people are completely lost with all the possibilities some games offers.

I tried several MMORPGs over the past 10 years but only Ultima Online really had that special something. I tried Eve Online when it came out, but didn't do it for me, maybe I should try it again.
And then there are games like Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan which are beautiful and have housing, but are level based. City of Heros/Villain is fun for a few weeks. Matrix, Anarchy Online, Neocron and Star Wars Galaxies have died and Planet Side is still out there and seems to be the online FPS MMORPG.

WoW was the second time an MMORPG got me going for more than a year, but it lacks of loads of features I miss.

I would love to find a game like Ultima Online again.
- Skill based, not Level based
- Open world (not linear or area based like WoW)
- Real in game economy
- Possibility to build houses and shops.

I don't really mind if it's set in Medieval time, real time or futuristic.

KoKane Registered User
#2

Darkfall online fits that description more than anything else at the moment.

Its pretty harsh game and competitive. Its not 2d like UO. Melee and mounted fighting is 3rd person, magic and archery are 1st person and pretty much require good timing and aiming and reflexes like in
counterstrike.


http://www.darkfallonline.com/buydarkfall/?cp=EUF624A3AFA050D61AA345601EEAA0926B

Thats a referral link. If you end up using it, let me know and I can look after you in game. If you decide to play anyway, let me know. I play with a few other irish and more are always welcome

1 person has thanked this post
Bulktohulk Registered User
#3

KoKane said:
Darkfall online fits that description more than anything else at the moment.

Its pretty harsh game and competitive. Its not 2d like UO. Melee and mounted fighting is 3rd person, magic and archery are 1st person and pretty much require good timing and aiming and reflexes like in
counterstrike.


http://www.darkfallonline.com/buydarkfall/?cp=EUF624A3AFA050D61AA345601EEAA0926B

Thats a referral link. If you end up using it, let me know and I can look after you in game. If you decide to play anyway, let me know. I play with a few other irish and more are always welcome


I don't think Darkfall is anything like UO. It's more like a massive PVP game rather than a sandbox. There's very little to do in Darkfall apart from PvP, or things that are done in order to enhance PvP(crafting, killing mobs etc..). Not a bad game, but certainly not a proper sandbox.

neilk32 Registered User
#4

Bulktohulk said:
I don't think Darkfall is anything like UO. It's more like a massive PVP game rather than a sandbox. There's very little to do in Darkfall apart from PvP, or things that are done in order to enhance PvP(crafting, killing mobs etc..). Not a bad game, but certainly not a proper sandbox.


It's the best sandbox game out there right now, and the upcoming expansion will be adding even more sandbox elements

hobbit stomper Registered User
#5

I might give darkfall a go then. Gameplay videos on Youtube look nice.

Anyone tried Mortal Online? It seems that's very Ultima Online like.

humanji Registered User
#6

Mortal Online is a bit of a con. It takes forever to download and is pretty much still in Beta testing. I wouldn't waste your time.

I think there's a few unofficial Ultima Online games on the go at the moment. Not sure where you find them, but some people set up games using older versions before some of the more unpopular updates.

1 person has thanked this post
Sarn Registered User
#7

humanji said:
Mortal Online is a bit of a con. It takes forever to download and is pretty much still in Beta testing. I wouldn't waste your time.


Exactly. Maybe check back on it in a year if it's still up and running.

KoKane Registered User
#8

Yeh there is the free UO servers too ofcourse.

Darkfall or Haven and Hearth

nin2010 Registered User
#9

No reason for you not to try the Darkfall trial and give it a go. Pvp is the main focus of the game but more sandbox elements are being added and the progression of the game is to move it towards becoming more of a sandbox.

You can always have different goals than pvp, like owning your own house and equipping it with a bank and vendor, crafting your own armor and weapons and selling those in your vendor or selling enchanting materials or other rare materials. There are people in the game which are pretty much solely crafters and traders aswell as the general pvp population. The PvE for me is more fun than any other mmo simply because of the combat system and the risk that you can find pvp and lose everything you have on you. Life isn't perfect for that playstyle right now and you will input a lot of cash and materials without return before you are making anything useful with your crafting but we can hope it improves in future patches.

Make sure you join a clan early as this will help you learn the game and have a lot more fun than if you try to go solo. New is a clan which is created to train up new players in their first month, you can find their recruitment post on the Darkfall forum.

Mortal Online isn't worth playing at the moment as others have said.

Necron99 Registered User
#10

Hmmm you want a game thats just like Ultima Online... how about

Ultima Online!
http://www.uosecondage.com/

This is a free shard server set back in the good old Felucia days... before there even was a Felucia / Trammel.
It comes with Razor which is great to break up the monotony of having to keep hitting the mouse button.

I tried it out and it works fine, several of my friends are still playing it.
I've just gotten past the days of endless grindfest games... or I think I have

Just remember the GOLDEN rule about Felucia, when you leave the protection of the town guards your on your own and anything and one is fair game.

Ah I remember my first day back in the original UO, left Britiania and was robbed and murdered within a few minutes, good times
Thats what gave me my love of playing Bounty Hunters in games I suppose, revenge

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!