BrianD3 Registered User
#16

It may be the case that a tacho is needed for any combination over 3.5 tonnes. However it's incorrect to say you need an EC1 licence for any combination over 3.5 tonnes. Once the towing vehicle is in category B (which a 3500 kg GVW transit would be) then you need an EB licence, not an EC1.

everyone driving a D-Max and new l200 with a trailer would be driving illegally ,

Many of those only have a B licence in which case they are driving illegally if towing heavy (say 1500+ kg) GVW trailers.

PS a 3500 kg GVW transit can tow a <750 GVW trailer on a B licence

#17

Eric Cartman said:
the tachos are probably fitted to the transits for employee monitoring or making sure that any of the lads on site etc.. with only a B licence dont chance it and get the van impounded or crashed. it would seem a bit odd as 90% of the d-max's and l200s have towbars but id be hard pushed to find one with a tachograph


They are owned by a large rentals company and leased to a company that subs for Eircom so I doubt that it is the reason.

I would also be of the opinion that most people with a B licence would not even know what that square box that looked like a radio does.

#18

I emailed the licence division in Ballina and got a very fast reply today

Dear <snip>,



Your category B (car) Licence limits you to a combined weight of 3,500kg.



Definition of an EB Licence from



Extract from the Road Traffic( Licensing of Drivers Regulations ) 2006. Part 2 Section 6.

Combinations of Vehicles with drawing vehicle in Category B and where the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer is greater than 750kg.



As you can see it doesn’t mention a limit to the weight you can draw, however you must bear in mind that the towing vehicle –Jeep, car, must be designed and capable of towing the trailer you have in mind.



Kind regards



Mary <snip>

Driver Licensing Section

Eric Cartman Registered User
#19

Slidey said:
I emailed the licence division in Ballina and got a very fast reply today


so since the unladen weight of all these crewcabs is most likely below 2.7 tonnes all the crewcabs can tow a 750kg trailer on a B licence , but if you want to tow anything over 750KG you definitley need an EB Licence , and the max train weight of anything should never be exceeded , although considering the train weight on the likes of the Isuzu D-Max is 6.5 tonnes i dont think it will be a problem

R.O.R Registered User
#20

Eric Cartman said:
so since the unladen weight of all these crewcabs is most likely below 2.7 tonnes all the crewcabs can tow a 750kg trailer on a B licence , but if you want to tow anything over 750KG you definitley need an EB Licence , and the max train weight of anything should never be exceeded , although considering the train weight on the likes of the Isuzu D-Max is 6.5 tonnes i dont think it will be a problem


GVW of the D-Max is close to 3.5Ton to qualify it for €50 VRT, so if you stick a tow-bar on the back of it, techincally you'll need a tacho as it takes the GTW over 3.5Tonnes.

At least that's what I think!

I used spec vans like Slidey mentions. 3.5Ton LWB Transits with a Tow Bar.

#21

Well the email I sent asked the question; What is the maximum combined weight that can be pulled using an EB licence

Eric Cartman Registered User
#22

R.O.R said:
GVW of the D-Max is close to 3.5Ton to qualify it for €50 VRT, so if you stick a tow-bar on the back of it, techincally you'll need a tacho as it takes the GTW over 3.5Tonnes.

At least that's what I think!

I used spec vans like Slidey mentions. 3.5Ton LWB Transits with a Tow Bar.


the gvw of it IS 3.5 tonnes, but from the response slidey got it looks like the combined laden weight cannot exceed 3.5 tonnes so if you take the unladen weight of the d-max , add whatever you as a driver weigh and then whatever is left over from 3.5 tonnes is what you can tow, if you actually start putting things in the d-max then you would need an EB licence, the d-max does not weigh 3.5 tonnes but has the potential to when fully laden

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!