Pride Fighter Moderator

The Queen of the UK has been invited to visit Ireland and a state visit expected pretty soon. Personally I am opposed to this, the idea of monarchy and one person just as a result of genealogy and primogeniture being a ruler of a country is sickening to me as a democrat. I'd feel the same if it was the the Dutch Queen or any other hereditary ruler. Thoughts?

There is the link http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/politics.html

1 person has thanked this post
oppenheimer1 Registered User

Pride Fighter said:
The Queen of the UK has been invited to visit Ireland and a state visit expected pretty soon. Personally I am opposed to this, the idea of monarchy and one person just as a result of genealogy and primogeniture being a ruler of a country is sickening to me as a democrat. I'd feel the same if it was the the Dutch Queen or any other hereditary ruler. Thoughts?

There is the link http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/politics.html

How the UK chooses their head of state is their problem, it is not for us to judge. If the Queen visits Ireland on an official visit as a representative of her country why wouldn't we welcome her.

37 people have thanked this post
imme Registered User

Were you also opposed to the visits of other foreign Heads of State who happen to be monarchs?
Harald of Norway and Karl Gustav from Sweden and the like.

I don`t have a problem with it.

sceptre Registered User

I've very few objections to how another country picks their head of state as long as they don't indulge in eating people. They should at least get the same welcome as they extended to our head of state, which as I recall last time was pretty good and included tea, biscuits and probably crumpets - one of five or six meeting occasions in total, all of which have taken place in the UK as far as I recall.

Odds are good that there will be less union flag waving on the streets of Dublin compared with the last state visit by a UK head of state but that's progress and the temptation of 24-hour reality TV as an alternative. Protocol's the most important part of a state visit; I'm sure it'll probably be easier to protest for people that want to than it was when GW Bush came zipping through here and people seemed to dislike that one personally and at a level dislike of someone who drowns kittens for weekend fun. Beatrix from the Netherlands had by all accounts a good time when she visited here in 1990, Harald V of Norway was here four years ago and almost no-one noticed, ditto when Albert II from Belgium came for tea in 2007. Juan Carlos from Spain visited in 1986 and it was noteworthy, though I can't remember why (then again, southern Europeans are more tanned than we are so it was probably exotic).

Possibly best if we send someone other than Ronan O'Gara to shake hands with her as she gets off the plane though.

4 people have thanked this post

Why should you object to it? Unless she's going to be visiting your house and impacting on your daily routine, it's not a big deal. I doubt that many people will take any notice of it either. We've moved on. Dublin is constantly full of British people, and we're all happy to go shopping in London and up the North. Her position is a choice of the British people, and is nothing to do with us.

There's bigger things in life, to be honest.

3 people have thanked this post

Make the lady welcome, and show them that we have matured as a state, and are a confident people going forward.

19 people have thanked this post
jacaranda Banned

I agree. It's time we grew up as a country and stopped blaming "D'inglish" for everything. It is a great sign that this visit can be contemplated, so lets celebrate that and enjoy the friendship we have with our nearest neighbour.

1 person has thanked this post
mickstupp Registered User

dan_d said:
Why should you object to it? Unless she's going to be visiting your house and impacting on your daily routine, it's not a big deal. I doubt that many people will take any notice of it either. We've moved on. Dublin is constantly full of British people, and we're all happy to go shopping in London and up the North. Her position is a choice of the British people, and is nothing to do with us.

There's bigger things in life, to be honest.

I think most of us have moved on, but I think unfortunately there's still plenty who refuse to. I can imagine someone chucking an egg, at the very least.

who the fug Registered User

Will ye give her a Certificate of Irishness for free, as we can't afford to pay for one

I'd rather she stayed where she is.

9 people have thanked this post
Brendog Registered User

She may apologise for some of the atrocities that England has put Ireland through. David Cameron apologised for bloody sunday, she might do the same.

Its not going to be safe at all!! alot of people will be seriously outraged. to be honest I cannot see her leaving the Aras once during her visit.

3 people have thanked this post

Who cares if she comes, makes no difference to the Joe on the street as long as it doesnt cost the Taxpayer..

LikePlace Banned

She'll probably just end up getting locked in Temple Bar with Mary McAleese and buying a silly hat.

(Unashamed mockup of queen in hat at http://bit.ly/aXuHX4 )

djpbarry Moderator

Brendog said:
David Cameron apologised for bloody sunday...
On behalf of the British people, which includes Lizzy.

ei.sdraob Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hand her back the keys to the country, its trashed

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!