JayeL Registered User

Just saw the little orange man staying orange over Dublin in Google Maps. I dragged him out and sure enough, Google seems to have activated random spots around the country for Street View. Very sporadic, seems to be only one photo every 10 kms or so.

Are they testing it, preparing for a full launch or is it all just a mistake? Who knows, Google move in mysterious ways!

p.s. Couldn't look at the imagery myself as I don't have Flash 9 on my work PC so not even sure it works.....

cml387 Registered User

Nope,they are photos submitted by the public.Anyone can do it.

Danbo! Registered User

Unfortunately its just geo-tagged images from the web from joe public, rather than street view cars.

Sponge Bob Banned

Not streetview, they are geocoded snapshots scraped from various photo sites. Well spotted though

Why havent they introduced street view in Ireland? They had enough cameras out working last year.

dubhthach Registered User

DWCommuter said:
Why havent they introduced street view in Ireland? They had enough cameras out working last year.

Maybe they deleted the photos along with the wireless data they collected illegally

SeanW Registered User

Huh?

BTW I was very bored one night so I tested out Google Street View at the Irish/NI border. You can see into the Republic from a number of border crossing, and I think that the Google SV vans actually started taking snaps in the republic as well, albeit only a few meters on the Irish side.

actuallylike Registered User

SeanW said:
Huh?

BTW I was very bored one night so I tested out Google Street View at the Irish/NI border. You can see into the Republic from a number of border crossing, and I think that the Google SV vans actually started taking snaps in the republic as well, albeit only a few meters on the Irish side.

They've already mapped a lot of the republic, the vans were seen driving around well over a year ago. They just haven't uploaded them yet.
I hope the inflatable penis I had in my window shows up! (It was there for street view...honestly )

3 people have thanked this post
banquo Registered User

Dying to play around with this. Get on it, google!

Looks like we'll have street view next week!

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/

Sponge Bob Banned

which bit of "driving" needs explaining ????

Dublin Dublin South West
Donegal Letterkenny, Buncrana, Derrybeg, Donegal Town, Ballyshannon
Sligo Cliffoney, Sligo
Leitrim Ballinagrelah
Cavan Cavan West
Louth Dundalk
Monaghan Carrickmacross
Kildare Newbridge
Wicklow Stratford on Slaney
Kerry Killarney
Limerick Limerick West
To find out more about where we're driving get in touch or learn more about how Street View works and how we protect privacy you can do so here: streetview-europe@google.com

Danbo! Registered User

irishdub14 said:
Looks like we'll have street view next week!

http://google-latlong.blogspot.com/

Looks more like we'll have the cars on the the streets again next week, rather than streetview being available. Damn.

Danno Registered User

According to an article in today's indo, it will all be up by the end of 2010 after google satisfied the authorities over wifi data gatering.

John Lynch Ph.D Registered User

In May we announced that we had mistakenly included code in our software in Street View cars that collected WiFi payload data.

Haha, no mistake, in case it wasn't obvious enough. I know for a fact it was actually the primary purpose, payload is the actual data been sent, so as you can imagine collecting this would be a far greater exercise then simply collecting data about wifi locations, not something you do by mistake.

It is the PRIMARY reason for google street view. the pictures are just an excuse.

unit 1 Registered User

John Lynch Ph.D said:
Haha, no mistake, in case it wasn't obvious enough. I know for a fact it was actually the primary purpose, payload is the actual data been sent, so as you can imagine collecting this would be a far greater exercise then simply collecting data about wifi locations, not something you do by mistake.

It is the PRIMARY reason for google street view. the pictures are just an excuse.

I'm a bit stretched understanding some of this new technology, could you expand a bit on your theory, and does it fall into the "if you are doing nothing wrong you have nothing to worry about category", or is there a corporate greed for data basis to it.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!