stantheman8 Registered User

Seems like an obvious question?
Like many others posting here I'm enraged to see my hard earned tax euros being siphoned off by these spineless leeches.

I've had enough.
But being angry and not doing something about it doesn't solve anything.

What I'd like to understand is how we stand up to these cheating b@stards and make sure that the government - and indeed all politicians - hear the message, loud and clear that Irish people are sick to the core of the abuse of taxpayers money.

Most obvious choice is not to elect them again - which poses the question if the rest are any better ...but that's another day's work.

I tried leaving a message on Callely's website but, conveniently, that is not possible.

Apart from organising marches on the streets what other options do we have as a public to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with so forcefully that it will put the fear of God in anyone considering pulling cash out of our coffers/pockets in the future?

Callely of course isn't elected. This will be his last hurrah and then he'll have just the odd pension or three to keep him going.

ART6 Subscriber

This seems to be much more than a solely Irish thing. Look at the wholesale trough feeding frenzy in the European Parliament and Commission, the expenses scandal in the UK and, no doubt those we haven't heard about in other EU countries. It almost appears that throughout much of Europe politicians have evolved into a class that holds it's electorate in thinly veiled contempt. Perhaps that's why the feeling is mutual?

Fair play to the citizen http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0603/callelyi.html

Least someone has a spine

PeterIanStaker said:
Least someone has a spine

Obviously not Batt O'Keeffe

Minister for Enterprise and Innovation Batt O'Keeffe has said he understands people's annoyance over Senator Callely's expenses.

However, he said 'generally speaking' deputies and senators incur a lot of expenses due to travel, overnight stays and general daily maintenance.

Does O'Keeffe just not want to get the fact that Callely lives in Dublin ?

peasant Moderator

The real problem is that cute-hoorism isn't just rampant in Irish politics, it is integral to the whole society.

Almost everybody cheats in some way or another and that's why hardly anyone can stand up with good conscience, point the finger and demand change ...they might get found out themselves.

Best keep shtumm and cheat some more to get your own back.

course it wasn't Batt O'Thief. It was someone with a functioning brain.

Apparently someone called to a copshop but was told it wasn't within their remit.

bigeasyeah Registered User

Still though,nothing will be done by the Irish people so behaviour like this will continue.
"Ah sure Jaysus,Id hate to complain"
They have us well trained.

Pittens Registered User

Almost everybody cheats in some way or another and that's why hardly anyone can stand up with good conscience, point the finger and demand change ...they might get found out themselves.

Rubbish.

1 person has thanked this post
deanh Registered User

As this West Cork house is supposed to be a second home, it will be interesting to check if he has paid the €200 levy, or did he claim that on expenses?

Pittens Registered User

"Ah sure Jaysus,Id hate to complain"

No, nobody ever complains.

bigeasyeah Registered User

Pittens said:
No, nobody ever complains.

No,nobody ever complains effectually.
e.g:to the barman,partner,friends,on boards etc.

bamboozle Registered User

deanh said:
As this West Cork house is supposed to be a second home, it will be interesting to check if he has paid the €200 levy, or did he claim that on expenses?

as himself and the wife own a lot of property in Dublin he'll be well aware of the €200 levy, no doubt he used some of the surplus cash received through his expenses.

All political expenses should be vouched.
For instance, Finian McGrath publishes all his expenses on his website, not many other TD's or senator's brave/honest enough to do that.

stantheman8 Registered User

bigeasyeah said:
No,nobody ever complains effectually.
e.g:to the barman,partner,friends,on boards etc.

Which is why I'm asking:

"Apart from organising marches on the streets what other options do we have as a public to ensure that this behaviour is dealt with so forcefully that it will put the fear of God in anyone considering pulling cash out of our coffers/pockets in the future?"

I've considered contacting my local politician but fear that they are not going to disturb the status quo.
Leaving the country and taking my business elsewhere is another - somewhat extreme - option.

If there were some more effective ways of venting anger then let's pursue them, get some momentum going and try to bring about some real change instead of crying into our pints!

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!