max 73 Registered User

anyone know what are they doing on the river next to the sextant?

FunkyMissMonkey Registered User

I was wondering about this too, and figured there'd already be a massive discussion about it on boards, since you guys know everything!

They seem to have put some huge poles with depth markers on into the river, and there's also a very large pipe of some variety that they're working on on the dockside.

I pass it every day on my way home from work, and it's got me very curious.

The Barron Registered User

It might have something to do with this
http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,30663,en.html

evilivor Registered User

The Barron is correct, they are putting in the pontoons for the Clipper round the world race. It's coming into Kinsale in June and then the boats are coming up to the city.

deRanged Registered User

it'll be great to see once it's finished.

if I only had a boat ...

One thing though, the pontoon will stay there permanently, to allow people to moor in the city.

scuby Registered User

dont think it's just for the clipper race.... permanent for all boat users wanting to tie up and stay overnight etc

http://www.portofcork.ie/news-events.aspx?id=190

about time some amenity is being given to boat users in cork..there is a serious lack of proper safe purpose built slips around the harbour for boat users to launch boats etc

Owen Registered User

scuby said:
about time some amenity is being given to boat users in cork..there is a serious lack of proper safe purpose built slips around the harbour for boat users to launch boats etc

Especially considering the translation of the latin on our city's crest means "A safe harbour for ships".

Bill-e Registered User

So could I drive to work in a jet ski and tie it up there in future for the old 9 to 5?
Or would I have to pay loads of money?

themonboys Registered User

It's being built for the Clipper race and will be left in situ for "pleasure boats".

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!