eagle10 Registered User
#1

In a nutshell could some explain how this croke park agreement will affect people working for the government?

#2

To start, as I understand it, they will have no further paycuts til 2014, they need to accept changes in work practices, and they also have to accept decentralisation as necessary. Possibly there will be no redundancies either.
Off the top of my head, that's all I can think of and I'm open to correction. I've no doubt other boards members will have more information.

1 person has thanked this post
#3

In a nutshell, they have to come back to the land of the living or there will be a terribly inconvenient rumpus.

1 person has thanked this post
#4

The obvious argument being that they have a guaranteed job with no paycuts for the next 4 years, which is more than what most of us have.

3 people have thanked this post
Nody Servant of Cthulhu
#5

Only to add to what Dan said which is what PS appear to be in arms over; the government reserves the right for more cuts if the over all savings and development of the economy is not going according to plan. Second part is that the unions can/should not (threaten to) strike for the duration of the deal.

RichardAnd Registered User
#6

The issue most PS workers have with it is what we all know at heart. The government will not honour their side of the deal. To be fair, the unions probably wouldn't either though.

I sometimes wonder if the word honour means anything any more :S.

Head The Wall Registered User
#7

Nody said:
Only to add to what Dan said which is what PS appear to be in arms over; the government reserves the right for more cuts if the over all savings and development of the economy is not going according to plan. Second part is that the unions can/should not (threaten to) strike for the duration of the deal.

It's as simple as that, the deal is to give them the power to make the cuts themselves instead of the govt having to do it. And here we are 6 months away from the next budget by which time they have to have saved 3 Bn and they havn't the thing even fully voted on yet.

How long does it take public sector people to get a job done, forever if the vote on the deal is the norm. Efficient, my arse

Budget time we will be back to the same argument again. Unions won't have savings made and the govt will start slashing wages again. That is if they agree to the deal

If they don't agree to the deal well the Govt will start slashing wages again.

I think we can see a bit of a trend here

granturismo Registered User
#8

dan_d said:
The obvious argument being that they have a guaranteed job with no paycuts for the next 4 years, which is more than what most of us have.


No more paycuts is dependant on government finances. If there is a Yes vote and the government say they have to cut the public sector wage bill again then the Croke Park deal allows them.

Regardless of whether the deal in accepted or rejected by union members, the government will not be restricted in cutting civil/public service wage bills.

#9

granturismo said:
No more paycuts is dependant on government finances. If there is a Yes vote and the government say they have to cut the public sector wage bill again then the Croke Park deal allows them.

Regardless of whether the deal in accepted or rejected by union members, the government will not be restricted in cutting civil/public service wage bills.


Thanks....I was open to correction!Bit fuzzy on some details.

beeno67 Registered User
#10

granturismo said:
No more paycuts is dependant on government finances. If there is a Yes vote and the government say they have to cut the public sector wage bill again then the Croke Park deal allows them.

Regardless of whether the deal in accepted or rejected by union members, the government will not be restricted in cutting civil/public service wage bills.


Yes it will. The government will not have pay cuts unless unforeseen ecconomic circumstances. Considering you can argue that the country going bankrupt is not unforeseen then any pay cuts leaves the unions open to ignore the deal.

ardmacha Registered User
#11

Unions won't have savings made


It is not the business of unions to manage the public service, that is the business of government.

It is too easy for the wasters at the top to sit on their ár5e and wring their hands saying that the nasty unions won't let us do anything, when they never had any intention of doing anything useful anyway.

rightwingdub Registered User
#12

Guarantted jobs for life, no compulsory redundancies, the wasters who spend their days drinking coffee will still be permanently unfireable jobs

Spudmonkey Registered User
#13

ardmacha said:
It is not the business of unions to manage the public service, that is the business of government.

It is too easy for the wasters at the top to sit on their ár5e and wring their hands saying that the nasty unions won't let us do anything, when they never had any intention of doing anything useful anyway.


You are right. They want all of the rewards and none of the work.

changes Registered User
#14

granturismo said:
No more paycuts is dependant on government finances. If there is a Yes vote and the government say they have to cut the public sector wage bill again then the Croke Park deal allows them.

Regardless of whether the deal in accepted or rejected by union members, the government will not be restricted in cutting civil/public service wage bills.


Paycuts with anything other than the IMF sitting across the table from the two brians wearing stern faces will result in industrial action and the deal out the window imo.

Simply having Brian Lenihan saying at budget time that things are a little tight therefore we are going to have to cut PS pay again will not be accepted.

rightwingdub Registered User
#15

changes said:
Paycuts with anything other than the IMF sitting across the table from the two brians wearing stern faces will result in industrial action and the deal out the window imo.

Simply having Brian Lenihan saying at budget time that things are a little tight therefore we are going to have to cut PS pay again will not be accepted.


You do realise that you would have no public support for strike action, the country is broke, did you read what Morgan Kelly said about the possibility of Ireland going broke.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!