C.O.Y.B.I.B Registered User
#1

Hi All ,

A little teaser for you . I have UPC 15mb and it works fine , no issues with disconnections etc... which is great .... But...
I have a WiFi camera which is configured to send me alerts when motion is detected. I setup the mail side with the proper parameters smtp.upcmail.ie and used a random senders address (ipcamera@upcmail.ie). I dont own that account , but as I amnt going to be recieveing mail it shouldnt be an issue. I had to turn off the Firewall on the Cisco box as it was blocking Port 25 outgoing. This worked great for 1 day , I got alerts etc.... , then it stopped sending them. I have since setup a mail account using thunderbird , again using a random address and this wont send either. It gets as far as saying connected to smtp.upcmail.ie and then says mail server rejected the sender .
I rang UPC and they denied that they block mail or ports .

So , anyone got any bright ideas ?

Cheers

Dero Registered User
#2

mscull said:
It gets as far as saying connected to smtp.upcmail.ie and then says mail server rejected the sender .
I rang UPC and they denied that they block mail or ports .

So , anyone got any bright ideas ?


Did you give UPC this bit of information?

It's their mail server, so they should be able to tell you a) why it rejects your mails (presumably some sort of anti-spamming measure), and b) how you should configure your clients to send via their smtp relay.

C.O.Y.B.I.B Registered User
#3

Dero said:
Did you give UPC this bit of information?

It's their mail server, so they should be able to tell you a) why it rejects your mails (presumably some sort of anti-spamming measure), and b) how you should configure your clients to send via their smtp relay.


Yeah , I asked him straight out was it some sort of Anti-Spamming and he said they didnt do that . I also checked the mail settings I had with him and he said it was all correct . I didnt force the issue with the support guy as I reckoned he wasnt 100% sure what I was talking about . I really wanted to see if anyone here could come up with any other possible causes of this before I get stuck in to UPC and end up with egg on face.

Karmafaerie Registered User
#4

Have you tried sending the mail to an actual working email address?
If UPC's outgoing server does have a spam filter (as I'm sure it does as it's going to have one whether their agents know this or not), it may not be happy with you sending constant emails to a non existing address.

Set up a upcmail address (or any other) and see if you have the same problem.

If that doesn't work then get onto UPC, but I'd find it unlikely that UPC phone agents know about the settings of their email server spam filters.

C.O.Y.B.I.B Registered User
#5

Karmafaerie said:
Have you tried sending the mail to an actual working email address?
If UPC's outgoing server does have a spam filter (as I'm sure it does as it's going to have one whether their agents know this or not), it may not be happy with you sending constant emails to a non existing address.

Set up a upcmail address (or any other) and see if you have the same problem.

If that doesn't work then get onto UPC, but I'd find it unlikely that UPC phone agents know about the settings of their email server spam filters.


Cheers , but the destination address is real , Its the source address that is made up. I definitely think its a spam filter issue . I think I will get a genuine upcmail account and sending as that and see if it works . Cheers for all the advice . Any other ideas gratefully recieved

Karmafaerie Registered User
#6

When did this problem start for you?
I just discovered taht I've been having some problems with my own upcmail email account this morning.
Could be a larger issue with the server itself.
My email account was working fine yesterday for instance, but not this morning.

bigpaddy2004 Registered User
#7

Firstly, find out what your public ip is from UPC. Secondly check with blacklist.ie or Spamhaus if your public ip from UPC is banned from sending mail.
If your camera was sending lots of e-mails at a time, spamhaus will block you.

C.O.Y.B.I.B Registered User
#8

Hey guys , thanks for the replies .The problem only started on wednesday morning.
I checked that blacklist.ie which I hadnt heard about before and it was listed as a 510 SG and UPC is listed as UCEPROTECTL3 which appears to be bad .

What to do now ?? I rang again this evening and got a girl who talked me through setting up Outlook express from scratch with help from her supervisor So i've a feeling explaining blacklists might be a waste of time ..

bigpaddy2004 Registered User
#9

Ah dont go mad, its not worth it!
You whould be able to enter in your ip into the Spamhaus site and request delisting of your ip. However this is only a temporary measure. You will have to get that camera to not send too many mails or you will just be blocked again.

blaz Registered User
#10

How about you reconfigure your camera to send the email with a VALID source address? You know, the one UPC gave you? There is no reason to spoof or invent email addresses unless you are a spammer. And there is every reason for UPC to block emails with invalid source addresses (although their technical support is probably too incompetent to understand what you are doing and why it is wrong).

C.O.Y.B.I.B Registered User
#11

blaz said:
How about you reconfigure your camera to send the email with a VALID source address? You know, the one UPC gave you? There is no reason to spoof or invent email addresses unless you are a spammer. And there is every reason for UPC to block emails with invalid source addresses (although their technical support is probably too incompetent to understand what you are doing and why it is wrong).


I would have if they gave me one . Rang last night to get one as the website link to create an Email account doesnt work. The "technician" set it up for me with my chosen user name , then told me to make up a password and put this into Outlook Express and that would be my mail password I had to explain to her that she had to set the password and give it to me not the other way around , which she then confirmed with her supervisor .
Upshot was that she made a ball$ of it and I still have no working UPC account . Plan for today is get IP unblacklisted , followed by get a correct mail account from UPC (again) and tone down the camera alerts .
Thanks for everyones help especially those who pointed out the whole blacklisting thing. Will report back when sorted

Karmafaerie Registered User
#12

Well in fairness mscull, you are never going to get help with this kind of issue from an ISP technical support agent.

This is your own setup, that you are setting up outside of UPC and has nothing to do with them.

Obviously if you and we aren't aware of the correct set up, and you weren't aware of the dangers of your IP being blacklisted due to it by Spamhause and the sort, how are you expecting a support desk that are basically there to tell you if your broadband is workling or not, to know.

It's not their job, and no ISP will support this.
They're not trained in any of it, and can really only check your connections and offer basic support.
It's up to you to do the legwork unfortunately.


As for the issue with the email address however, that is fairly bad!
Asking the superviser like!!!

Spook80 Registered User
#13

Hey all, hope its ok i bring this thread back from the dead.

I have a similar setup, i setup my panasonic BL-C121 yesterday but im not very good with the email settings side of things.
I want it to send me an email of a short video clip if motion is detected.
I seem to be getting close because at the moment im getting a blank email with just the date and time of trigger as the subject.
Im with UPC 30mb speed and its a gmail email address.
I have the smtp server ip address or host name as smtp.upcmail.ie. (i dont even have a clue what that is i just read it somewhere)
Anyone any ideas on whats wrong?
Thanks

roast Registered User
#14

DaveM80 said:
Hey all, hope its ok i bring this thread back from the dead.

I have a similar setup, i setup my panasonic BL-C121 yesterday but im not very good with the email settings side of things.
I want it to send me an email of a short video clip if motion is detected.
I seem to be getting close because at the moment im getting a blank email with just the date and time of trigger as the subject.
Im with UPC 30mb speed and its a gmail email address.
I have the smtp server ip address or host name as smtp.upcmail.ie. (i dont even have a clue what that is i just read it somewhere)
Anyone any ideas on whats wrong?
Thanks


That doesn't sound like an issue with the email setting side of things. You should have a further look into the settings of the Panasonic device. It sounds like you need to change a setting so it will send a clip, not just an email.

EDIT: I have never used Panasonic IP cameras, so I can't help any further. Sorry.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!