I just rang to book my test for my NCT there and the earliest I was told I can book a date for is August!
What happens if I am stopped by a guard in the meantime? While it is my duty to have the car NCT'd, is 3 months a reasonable wait time? I don't know what to do... She said I can ring back daily and see if there are cancellations.
What should I do? Any help would be appreciated. I didn't book the date for August... should I have?
Tbh, I don't think 3 months is particularly reasonable at all. I wouldn't wait that long personally. Try a different test centre?
If you get pulled over in the mean time, provided you have the documentation to prove you're booked in in 3 months time, the Gardai won't have any issue with you.
Thats what I'll do so, I'll ring and book the NCT for August so I have a letter - and it should be free. Thanks guys!
once you have letter confirming test is booked for X date - you should be okay
So I just rang them back and explained my situation - the lady said I could book it for August and I would have a letter or they could put me on a "priority" list but I wouldn't have a letter until a date became available.
So, I then threw in the "test date within 28 days = free test" line, and next thing she moved me to another list and said I would be contacted within 28 days if a test became available in my area. I asked "How would I be contacted?" and she said letter/text depending on how close the test is. She noted the date of request as today and to verify at the end I asked "So, If I don't get called for a test in the next 4 weeks, I will get my test for free" and she said "exactly..."
I'll keep ye posted but something tells me I won't be waiting long!
Now I am just hoping I don't get stopped by the guards - either way, the request has been put in for the test (I just don't have the paper to prove it).
What a mess..
I admire how calm you are about this firebug_guy. I'd be fuming. I've my test tomorrow. Took one month.
I hope we don't fail these tests and have to wait another few months!!
Lads, ye're making a mountain out of a molehill here. What you do is:
Book the test, for any date
Change the date online for a cancellation
If you're flexible with times/dates and you spend a little time online you'll have the car tested within a couple of days.
I'm not that bothered... Just don't fancy being caught out. Clean license, everything else is in order, I just let the NCT slip!
Thats exactly what I did and I got the test within the week. No big deal
I've booked two NCT's for seperate cars in the past 3 weeks. The first I booked online and was able to get it within two weeks in the local Deansgrange test centre. At the time there were loads of available test places.
For the second test I tried to book it a couple of weeks later online but I couldn't get a date within the next 2 months. Sent the NCT an email and they came back with a date in Aug. Since then I was able to go online and get a booking for 1st June.
The reason I mailed them was that I couldn't get a date online and the NCT is currently out.
In my experience if you just keep checking online places free up all the time.
I understand what some of you are saying. But I'm not flexible at all so I have to jump on the normal bandwagon.
I used to ring in the mornings for cancellations. I'd usually get lucky on Monday morning.
The problem is the letter of the law. A car can be siezed by a Garda under section 41 of the road traffic act if there is not in place a valid test certificate in rspect of the vehicle. or something like that. So technically if the NCT was expired on the 30th April and you were driving to the NCT test on the 1st of May your car can still be siezed. It would help if they ammended the law to allow for cars with tests booked to be able to drive until then, however maybe the lawmakers didnt expect NCT centres to have backlogs. At the end of the day any Garda will use their discretion and let you go on if you have a test booked, unless your a boy-racer or criminal and they are just looking for any excuse to take your car off you.