the watchman Registered User
#1

Hi all, I have a Challenge Xtreme Angle Grinder Model no. MAG5843. Had it about 7years.
Only used for casual domestic DIY. Recently it's become difficult to start. It is not the electricity supply. I depress the on switch and nothing happens, but if I shake it a little while holding switch on it starts. The problem is intermitant at the moment.
I guess its just coming to the end of its useful life... what say you!
Thanks.

Owen Registered User
#2

Could be the carbon brushes that feed electricity to the motor. They're usually sprung, but if the're old, they could be catching, or the springs pushing them in may be beyond their usefulness. When you shake it, that could then bring the bushes into contact with the motor, initiating powerup.

It'd cost less to buy a new one than it would to repair. Lidl are doing an angle grinder shortly.

#3

PaintDoctor said:
Could be the carbon brushes that feed electricity to the motor. They're usually sprung, but if the're old, they could be catching, or the springs pushing them in may be beyond their usefulness. When you shake it, that could then bring the bushes into contact with the motor, initiating powerup.

It'd cost less to buy a new one than it would to repair. Lidl are doing an angle grinder shortly.

If its the brushes, you can do it yourself as its very easy. They are usually consealed behind plastic flathead srews. First unscrew the 2 plastic screws, behind them the brushes will be ready to pop out so be carefull. Take the springs out and give them a bit of a stretch put back together with new brushes. If this doesnt work then a new cable would be my next idea. Use flex for this:)hope this helps

antiskeptic Registered User
#4

the watchman said:
Hi all, I have a Challenge Xtreme Angle Grinder Model no. MAG5843. Had it about 7years.
Only used for casual domestic DIY. Recently it's become difficult to start. It is not the electricity supply. I depress the on switch and nothing happens, but if I shake it a little while holding switch on it starts. The problem is intermitant at the moment.
I guess its just coming to the end of its useful life... what say you!
Thanks.


Just to clarify, the plastic flat headed caps behind which the brushes live are located about half way along the body of the machine, 180 degrees apart from each other. They'll be about the size of a 1 cent coin in diameter.

The brushes are square/rectangular section lengths of carbon. If square they can go back one of four ways, if rectangular then two. it's important that you put the back the exact same way you took them out and don't mix up the sides you took them from (they've been worn into a particular shape). Consider giving the holes from which you've extracted them a blow out as well. Don't go too mad on stretching the springs.

As suggested, the power cable itself might be dodgy - although a loose connect/break in cable would tend to give you stop/start problems during use, not just at start up

the watchman Registered User
#5

Most helpful.
Just one last thing, if need be can I actually renew brushes and if so where would I get them from and would it be worthwhile/economical to do so.
Incidently my feeling is that the power cable is ok.

antiskeptic Registered User
#6

the watchman said:
Most helpful.
Just one last thing, if need be can I actually renew brushes and if so where would I get them from and would it be worthwhile/economical to do so.
Incidently my feeling is that the power cable is ok.


No idea. But it's highly unlikely the brushes are worn out if occasional diy use has been it's history.

the watchman Registered User
#7

Thanks for that Antiskeptic. I'll try and take it apart this afternoon or tomorrow morning. If I mess it up I'll still have time to get to Lidls on Thurs.

Buford T Justice Registered User
#8

Brushes for them are fairly standard. You could probably get Makita brushes that will suit it. (Most of the challenge ones usually came with a spare set anyway)

That said, if you are to get Makita ones, then it might be cheaper to buy a new one.

ART6 Subscriber
#9

I had an old drill (ca 40 years!!) made by a company called Selecta that has long gone. The brushes were worn out, so being a tight B* (and it was good drill) I broke open a torch battery and took out the carbon cylinder. I carefully filed it to fit the drill brush holders. The drill then ran for another five years until the bearings failed.

I believe in recycling

antiskeptic Registered User
#10

ART6 said:
I had an old drill (ca 40 years!!) made by a company called Selecta that has long gone. The brushes were worn out, so being a tight B* (and it was good drill) I broke open a torch battery and took out the carbon cylinder. I carefully filed it to fit the drill brush holders. The drill then ran for another five years until the bearings failed.

I believe in recycling


You threw out a drill only needing bearings? Philistine!

#11

If you take the brushes out and bring them into mcquillans or any decent tool shop they might be have spares or point you in the right direction(ring them first to ask). I got them in tallaght in a dewalt shop near the big quarry a few years back but cant really remember the directions. Also if you buy bigger ones u will be able to file them down easy enough, also did this before as advised above and it worked grand

the watchman Registered User
#12

WOW, Art 6 , you really deserve some recognition for that one lol
Your obviously the sort that would cut an 8foot railway sleeper completely in half...'length ways' with a hand saw lol
well done anyway..

#13

Just a thought, if you take the switch apart, one of the wires may need to be re-soldered. This happened with my makita skill saw a few years agoand the same thing was happening when i pulled the trigger it would burst into action for a second and then stop. poped the trigger and brown wire was loose.

the watchman Registered User
#14

:eek:NEED HELP FAST. NIGHTMATE LOL.
Machine is in bits on kitchen table. Finaly found brushes (long story)
pics attached ...are they allright or not. I just don't know.
Taking break for a meal, hope someone comes back real quick.
I do not want to put it back together if new ones required.

galwaydude18 Registered User
#15

Ya they look like the carbon brushes. They don't look too worn. Is there a line on them towards the end of them. That is the indicator line as to how worn they are.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!