pickarooney Moderator

pappyodaniel said:

Yep, that is a doozy, from a band who were previously (and since) guilty of releasing albums with two or three crackers and a load of old guff.

DonnieScribbles
I agree. There's not an ounce of filler on The Bends.

Fitter, Happier is on OK Computer though.

Is there any correlation between the albums people pick as filler-free and the age/stage of life they were at when they first listened to them? For me I think there definitely is - 1995, 1998 and 2001 stand out for albums I hold dear and those all correspond to major changes in my life. I'm quite sure lots of people would say Felt Mountain was packed with filler, but every track has value for me, probably by association as much as musical brilliance.

I'd only ever heard of LCD soundsystem two days ago, but I'm sorely tempted to buy their album if it's up to the standard of the two tracks I heard.

I'm also going to have to get my hands on High Violet.

St. Vincent? Who dat? I shall investigate forthwith.

Queen is Dead by the Smiths would be another strong contender.

pickarooney said:
I'd only ever heard of LCD soundsystem two days ago, but I'm sorely tempted to buy their album if it's up to the standard of the two tracks I heard.

I haven't bought the new album yet but Sounds of Silver is a brilliant album. The depth of it surprised me when I first got it as I'd only really thought of LCD as a moderately entertaining dance act before then.

arsenallegend Registered User

Nearly every Beatles album

The rolling stones records from 68 to 72

Led zepplin 1,2,3 and 4

cinnamon girl Registered User

I think everyone missed where the OP said bands today.

Hello Moon and The Soft City are two that come to mind.

1 person has thanked this post
me-skywalker Registered User

Lou Reed - Transformer
The Who - Who's Next
The White Stripes - White Blood Cells
David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

me-skywalker Registered User

arsenallegend said:

Led zepplin 1,2,3 and 4

Nearly flawless... entirely!

fincollins Registered User

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Pearl Jam - Ten
Redneck Manifesto - Thirty Six Strings
Waiting Room - Catering for headphones

donfers Registered User

pickarooney said:
Well that's certainly going back a bit!

The Stone Roses (21 years old, yikes!) qualifies by dint of Elizabeth My Dear being too short to bother reaching for the 'Next' button

I'd be more interested to know if younger listeners these days still have (new release) albums that they love from tip to toe.

youngsters don't listen to albums mate, the cherrypick individual tracks...the era of the album is coming to an end (Re. Ash)

pickarooney Moderator

Maybe he meant he wanted the advice today
In which case, a day late, Grandaddy.

hada Registered User

Definitely agree with previous posters, PJ - Ten and Nirvana - Nevermind are faultless.

Could also throw:

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

H8GHOTI Registered User

Recent albums (last year or two) I like every song on and can listen to without skipping a track would be:
Passion Pit - Manners
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (This took a while to grow on me but love it now)
Friendly Fires - Friendly Fires

It's an interesting topic. I wonder do bands themselves think every song on an album is good? Or do they know some are filler but due to deadlines/writers block/whatever other reason they just say "Ya that'll have to do"?

H8GHOTI Registered User

You always here people saying "It's a grower"

What albums did people not really think were great when they first listened to it but loved it after a few listens.

Mine would have to be Animal Collective's Merriweather Post Pavilion. Liked My Girls the first time I heard it and downloaded the album on the strength of it. Didn't think much of the album on first listen but love it now.

Shoota Registered User

Grace by Jeff Bucley, took me about three listens...........

ordinary_girl Registered User

White Lies, Hurts and Doves are worth looking up.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!