Lennard Registered User

Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.

MickShamrock Registered User

Lennard said:
I was very surprised to find that the alley in Coolock does not have a bar.. that's the first time anywhere in the whole world that I found a bowling alley that does not serve drinks.

I thought it was just me. The alley in Kilkenny doesn't have a bar either.

r3nu4l Administrator

Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres

tariqbutt Registered User

r3nu4l said:
Most of the centres in Ireland don't operate a bar, the few that do are in the minority It's very strange considering that almost everywhere else there are bars and even good quality food in SOME centres

Is there a reason most bowling alleys dont have bars?

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

10green bottles Registered User

tariqbutt said:

I went to the stillorgan bowl last night and the security guard wouldnt let my friends in because they smelled of drink! You are supposed to smell of drink when you are bowling! Thankfully he let us in after much pleading, but it wasn't a very good experience having to argue with the security guard when the place was empty anyway.

Its a shame stillorgan bowl has become so run down.

Edit:

Also can you tell me of any bowling alleys in ireland that serve beer?

the bowling alley in Dundalk has a restaurant,fast food and an excellent BAR

r3nu4l Administrator

tariqbutt

I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends.

tariqbutt Registered User

r3nu4l said:
I don't know the exact reason to be honest. I used to think it was licensing laws that stopped them serving beer but as 10greenbottles says, the one in Dundalk has a bar so I'm at a loss to explain it.

It may be because the centre operators want to maintain the 'family friendly' image and don't want crowds of fake-id-carrying-kids wrecking the place at the weekends.

you would wonder why this isnt a problem in other countries though

bingo92 Registered User

Alsaa at Dublin airport you can go up to the bar and bring your drink down with you.

1 person has thanked this post
p Registered User

tariqbutt said:

I believe it's because of the licensing laws in Ireland. Unless you're a bar or a restaurant it's very difficult and/or expensive to sell alcohol.

Unfortunately in this country we've decided that drinking is mainly allowed in places with hardly any chairs, no food or any other activity.

And we wonder why we have a drinking problem.

henryporter Registered User

I used to frequent a great bowling alley in Chicago with a bar that only sold Budweiser (in bowling pin shaped bottles), but to me bowling and beer are inseparable. Lucky I'm near enough to Dundalk to check that option out.

CaptainFreedom Registered User

Lennard said:
Does anybody know if there's a bowling alley on the North side of Dublin that actually does have a bar?

I once worked there and they do/did have a bar licence, I think it was due to wanting to have people there to bowl and not there to get drunk. Also the large amount of kids parties there meant the last thing they would want would be people oiled up in the day, as many are not content with just 1 drink!

Mellio Registered User

its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.

CaptainFreedom Registered User

Mellio said:
its just typical in Ireland that everything we do has to exclude having a drink cos we drink way too much!

I believe this is totally un true for the majority of people and being able
to go to the likes of a bowling alley and have a beer or two would be quite enjoyable.

I think it really is the licensing issue more so, getting a bar licence full stop is hard enough and very expensive.

At one point they were certainly not short of money! Given the demographic of the branch in Coolock, a bar may not have been a good idea. Having seen some of the trouble that occurred in the small hours of the weekend when people went there for food after a night out, serving alcohol would not be a good idea (this was when it was 24h opening), like pouring parrafin on a fire to extinguish it.

But we are wandering off topic now, back on it

thehomeofDob Registered User

I realise it's not on the north side, but Bray Bowl has a bring your own bear night on Fridays/Saturdays. I think it's €10/20 in, but all the arcades, bowling, and pool are free for the night. It always attracts a crowd so be sure to go early.

2ndcoming Registered User

The new Base centre in Celbridge might be a bit Leisureplex-y for the hardcore bowlers but they told me last week that they will start serving beer in the next two weeks.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!