#2,656

I timed sending it so that I'd be at home to receive it, but won't be home on the 23rd.

You do not have to be at home to receive a passport. No signature is needed.

1 person has thanked this post
rebel girl 15 Moderator
#2,657

Thoie said:
I was just coming on to query something similar - I submitted mine by passport express on Monday 7th (around lunchtime), yet despite the An Post website saying "Passport Express provides a next working day delivery service to the Passport Service for applications submitted to Post Offices.", mine wasn't recorded as received in the Passport office until the 9th.

Late Friday afternoon (the 18th) it changed from received to checking, and the passport issue date is the 22nd (which means the earliest I'll receive it is the 23rd). This in itself is a bit of a PITA, as I timed sending it so that I'd be at home to receive it, but won't be home on the 23rd.

Regardless, the interesting bit was on the Passport website:
"The Passport Service guarantees a 10 working days turnaround time for passport applications submitted via the Passport Express service ". It's not explained on their site, but an the An Post site the small print shows that the 10 days is from when the passport office receives it, to when they issue it - so you can add a day for post at either end.

1. In what way are the passport office "guaranteeing" things? Do you get a refund if they go outside the 10 days (and that information isn't advertised where they say it will be)?
2. What kind of screwy process has the applications sitting around for 7 days before someone starts checking them? Wouldn't it make more sense to check them when they arrive, so that if there's a problem the applicant can be notified that they'll have to reapply immediately?

In my case, if, for some reason, my application is rejected, it will be Monday before I know about it, when I'm expecting my passport to be issued on Tuesday.


You don't have to be at home to receive it - my parents collected mine at the passport office on Friday, and my brothers was posted to the house, and Mam got it. If there is a problem with it, they will ring you fast enough about it - brothers passport ended up being stopped because he had put his first and second name on the new application form and only had his first name on his old passport.

Just an update on my situation - called into the passport office on Thursday, and the person who served me wasn't the politest, but was able to call upstairs and say it should be ready. It was approved on Thursday, and I got a phone call Friday morning to say that it was ready to collect.

1 person has thanked this post
#2,658

Just to add slightly to this, just because the online checker doesnt show it as received, doesnt mean its not in the system. Ive seen two different statuses for the same application between the online checker and the internal system. 99% of the time, its in the office the next working day.

Conormurphy19 Registered User
#2,659

Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

All answers are appreciated,

Many regards,

Conor

daltonmd Registered User
#2,660

Conormurphy19 said:
Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

All answers are appreciated,

Many regards,

Conor


I had to get one for my son (under 16) in February this year, we were flying on Thursday 9th of Feb, , I realised on the Saturday (4th) that my sons passport was out of date. I got both of ours 5 years prior and completely forgot that his was only valid for 5 years, mine for 10.

Got the required documentation, had more complications than you (presuming you are single with no children) had to get solicitors and so on. Got the documentation into Molesworth St. at 10am on the Monday morning and collected the Passport Wednesday the 8th February.

My advice - check the photos are acceptable, get them taken again and signed again - I did overhear someone there get refused as the photo was not of the standard - so it could be that.

If you satisfy the passport office (and they are great to deal with) then you will have your passport in time.

Conormurphy19 Registered User
#2,661

daltonmd said:
I had to get one for my son (under 16) in February this year, we were flying on Thursday 9th of Feb, , I realised on the Saturday (4th) that my sons passport was out of date. I got both of ours 5 years prior and completely forgot that his was only valid for 5 years, mine for 10.

Got the required documentation, had more complications than you (presuming you are single with no children) had to get solicitors and so on. Got the documentation into Molesworth St. at 10am on the Monday morning and collected the Passport Wednesday the 8th February.

My advice - check the photos are acceptable, get them taken again and signed again - I did overhear someone there get refused as the photo was not of the standard - so it could be that.

If you satisfy the passport office (and they are great to deal with) then you will have your passport in time.


Thanks a million for taking the time to reply daltonmd! This is very helpful and you are right in your assumptions, I'm only 19! haha.. I will go into the office tomorrow morning so and bring everything with me including new passport photos, I'll get them signed in the morning. Also, is there any fee incurred? Obviously I have already paid the original fee, but do I have to pay anything extra?

daltonmd Registered User
#2,662

Conormurphy19 said:
Thanks a million for taking the time to reply daltonmd! This is very helpful and you are right in your assumptions, I'm only 19! haha.. I will go into the office tomorrow morning so and bring everything with me including new passport photos, I'll get them signed in the morning. Also, is there any fee incurred? Obviously I have already paid the original fee, but do I have to pay anything extra?


No probs, additional fee is 55 euro on top of the passport fee. As I said, it could be the photos themselves - but I'm open to correction.

JohnnyDoogue Registered User
#2,663

Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!

daltonmd Registered User
#2,664

JohnnyDoogue said:
Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!


Yes, if you go into them with the correct relevant information and a fee of 55 euros you can order an emergency pp (please see previous post) they will gie you a date, prior to your departure to collect it. I found them great.

1 person has thanked this post
#2,665

Conormurphy19 said:
Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport. Oh, and make sure to bring proof of travel.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

All answers are appreciated,

Many regards,

Conor


Did you send in photocopies of photo id? Go into the passport office with photographic id, your photos, two forms of address. You do not need an emergency passport, just a sped up normal application. Bear in mind, this can only be done if you do not have two lost (in-date) passports.


Do not get new photos signed and stamped unless you are completing a whole new form, the form number on the photos must match the form submitted.

If you are unsure of anything else, ring the passport office ASAP, they will advise you how best to proceed.

#2,666

JohnnyDoogue said:
Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!


You should get it back in time. Go in with all original documents, no harm bringing proof of travel as well.

_Roz_ Registered User
#2,667

Hey guys I have a question -

My passport expired 5 years ago and I just never got it renewed, because I haven't left the country since then. I still have it, but as I was about 16 when the photo was taken in it, and I'm now 24, I look quite a bit different. I want to get a new passport, and I know generally when renewing you send in the old one - will that suffice when it's 5 years out of date and I look a bit different? (Put on weight, hair is a different colour and style).

I don't have ANY other form of photo ID, absolutely none, and that is why I'm trying to get a new passport. Do you think that with my old passport being so out of date, they're going to want some other form of photo ID too?

Also, this doesn't make me a 'First Time Adult Applicant', does it? I don't know if that means an adult who has never had a passport, or simply applying for your first one over the age of 18.

Thanks in advance for any help, my brain is frazzled right now!

#2,668

Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.

1 person has thanked this post
#2,669

Our man in Havana said:
Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.


No they're not, a first time adult applicant is someone who never had an Irish passport before, they have had one (even though they were under 18).

1 person has thanked this post
#2,670

Less paperwork needed so.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!