daltonmd Registered User
#2,641

JohnnyDoogue said:
Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!

Yes, if you go into them with the correct relevant information and a fee of 55 euros you can order an emergency pp (please see previous post) they will gie you a date, prior to your departure to collect it. I found them great.

1 person has thanked this post
#2,642

Conormurphy19 said:
Hi Boards!

This is my first post so please bare with me. I recently booked a trip to Amsterdam, leaving on the morning of Thursday, May 31st, to see a concert at the famous Melkweg club. I lost my passport last year and quite stupidly, did not report this straight away. I did however report this and go through the process of acquiring a new passport just over 2 weeks ago and had all the required documentation, acquired with the help of a Guard, and sent it away to be processed. I got a letter back this past Friday, with all of my documentation inside, stating that my application could not be processed as the forms of identification were 'uncertified' even though the passport photos provided were new and signed by a member of An Garda Siochana.

Now, I am leaving in 9 days (unincluding today of course) and I have no passport so I am presuming that I will need to get an emergency passport, although no one has actually told me this but I have heard people saying that in similar circumstances, they got an emergency passport. Oh, and make sure to bring proof of travel.

I am very confused and plan on going to the Passport office on Molesworth street tomorrow morning to see how I can fix the situation. Can anyone suggest exactly what I might need, and can I definitely make a flight in 10 days?

All answers are appreciated,

Many regards,

Conor

Did you send in photocopies of photo id? Go into the passport office with photographic id, your photos, two forms of address. You do not need an emergency passport, just a sped up normal application. Bear in mind, this can only be done if you do not have two lost (in-date) passports.

Do not get new photos signed and stamped unless you are completing a whole new form, the form number on the photos must match the form submitted.

If you are unsure of anything else, ring the passport office ASAP, they will advise you how best to proceed.

#2,643

JohnnyDoogue said:
Replacing a misplaced passport(which was out of date), send it away last week via express and got it returned as the Post Office photcopied my documents and gave them back to me-they wanted the original documents. I need it for the 5th of June to go to the Euros. Think if I go in to the Passport Office and explain the situation with my travel documents I should get a replacement before my travel date? They seem strict!

You should get it back in time. Go in with all original documents, no harm bringing proof of travel as well.

_Roz_ Registered User
#2,644

Hey guys I have a question -

My passport expired 5 years ago and I just never got it renewed, because I haven't left the country since then. I still have it, but as I was about 16 when the photo was taken in it, and I'm now 24, I look quite a bit different. I want to get a new passport, and I know generally when renewing you send in the old one - will that suffice when it's 5 years out of date and I look a bit different? (Put on weight, hair is a different colour and style).

I don't have ANY other form of photo ID, absolutely none, and that is why I'm trying to get a new passport. Do you think that with my old passport being so out of date, they're going to want some other form of photo ID too?

Also, this doesn't make me a 'First Time Adult Applicant', does it? I don't know if that means an adult who has never had a passport, or simply applying for your first one over the age of 18.

Thanks in advance for any help, my brain is frazzled right now!

#2,645

Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.

#2,646

Our man in Havana said:
Makes no odds just send in the old one.

And yes it is a first time adult application.

No they're not, a first time adult applicant is someone who never had an Irish passport before, they have had one (even though they were under 18).

#2,647

Less paperwork needed so.

_Roz_ Registered User
#2,648

Okay that's good to know. I'm still worried about not looking like my old photo (seriously, it's a HUGE difference, I had brown hair tied up and a thin face back then, I now have red hair and a far chubbier face), but I'm hoping as long as I can get a garda to sign my form saying they're happy I am who I say I am that it'll be fine. Just having images of getting a call from the passport office next week (it's an express application) and them being like, 'yeah the old photos and the new photos don't look anything alike and the witness we contacted has skipped the country. Or something.'

Yes I stress out about every tiny thing!

#2,649

I wouldnt worry too much about it, its a pretty common occurance. Even if you look different, there are characteristics that remain the same. There are people in each office who are experts at this, you'll be fine.

rebel girl 15 Moderator
#2,650

Just to say, got mine sorted, picked it up last Friday.

The fee of 55 euro is extra to the cost of getting the passport btw - so you could be looking at about 140ish for your passport!

_Roz_ Registered User
#2,651

mmcn90 said:
I wouldnt worry too much about it, its a pretty common occurance. Even if you look different, there are characteristics that remain the same. There are people in each office who are experts at this, you'll be fine.

Cheers, appreciate your help and kindness, calmed my nerves a lot!

#2,652

_Roz_ said:
Cheers, appreciate your help and kindness, calmed my nerves a lot!

You're very welcome

Actually, as a funny aside, I once processed a passport where the gentlemans previous passport was issued in 1955 and he hadn't had one since. We needed extra ID for that

SpaceCowb0y Registered User
#2,653

Hi

Does anyone know how i would go about finding out an old passport number? I need to find out the number of a passport i used to enter australia in 2007 but im on my second passport since then!

Is there someone i can ring or any other suggestions?

Deedsie Registered User
#2,654

My passport is due for renewal next year. I was considering getting it done in Irish. Does anyone know how I might go about doing this?

Kotek Besar Registered User
#2,655

They are already bilingual, are they not?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!