Antenna Registered User
#1

'Fussy' Philips 32PFL5604H/12 LCD TV intermittently blanks out poorish TV3 analogue reception

Someone I know recently got one of these TVs
32PFL5604H/ 12
Has always had a poor reception of TV3 there - (analogue RTE1,2,TG4 are perfect via on a local transposer but not TV3), however the weak TV3 reception has been quite tolerable for news, current affairs etc - the picture is poor but watchable (was always enough for a colour picture - never dropped to B/W) and the sound is fine. Correct aerial for TV3 used diplexed with RTE/TG4 aerial for local transposer.
However this new Philips LCD at this location exhibits annoying muting of poor analogue signals, TV3 reception quality is on this TV's muting 'reject' threshold, and both picture and sound get blanked out (for perhaps a second or so) every few seconds. It seems that the picture being sometimes slightly vertically unsteady (sync pulses corrupted by noise) triggers the muting.
Another (CRT) TV at this location has/had no such problem with TV3 - It only mutes (the sound only) with very poor (picture rolling) reception.

Is there any way in an engineering menu? to disable this effect or alter the muting parameters so as to receive this weak analogue TV channel without this annoying intermittent picture and sound muting / blanking?

A poor analogue picture is better than no reception at all, such as in the above situation (no other way to receive TV3!), or elsewhere with emergency use of a set-top aerial after storm damage, however Philips don't seem to agree!

Alun Registered User
#2

The engineering menu on most Philips TV's is accessed by typing in 062596 folowed by the i+ button (program / source information) in quick succession. You have to be pretty quick about it though.

1 person has thanked this post
zilog_jones Registered User
#3

I take it there is no relevant option on the standard menu? On our Toshiba LCD TV there's like a "blue screen" option which will blank/mute if it thinks it's not receiving anything.

Satdog Registered User
#4

Antenna said:
'Fussy' Philips 32PFL5604H/12 LCD TV intermittently blanks out poorish TV3 analogue reception

Someone I know recently got one of these TVs
32PFL5604H/ 12
Has always had a poor reception of TV3 there - (analogue RTE1,2,TG4 are perfect via on a local transposer but not TV3), however the weak TV3 reception has been quite tolerable for news, current affairs etc - the picture is poor but watchable (was always enough for a colour picture - never dropped to B/W) and the sound is fine. Correct aerial for TV3 used diplexed with RTE/TG4 aerial for local transposer.
However this new Philips LCD at this location exhibits annoying muting of poor analogue signals, TV3 reception quality is on this TV's muting 'reject' threshold, and both picture and sound get blanked out (for perhaps a second or so) every few seconds. It seems that the picture being sometimes slightly vertically unsteady (sync pulses corrupted by noise) triggers the muting.
Another (CRT) TV at this location has/had no such problem with TV3 - It only mutes (the sound only) with very poor (picture rolling) reception.

Is there any way in an engineering menu? to disable this effect or alter the muting parameters so as to receive this weak analogue TV channel without this annoying intermittent picture and sound muting / blanking?

A poor analogue picture is better than no reception at all, such as in the above situation (no other way to receive TV3!), or elsewhere with emergency use of a set-top aerial after storm damage, however Philips don't seem to agree!


I have said TV and have no issues watching analogue TV3 and I don't even have a dedicated UHF aerial for the purpose as I'm getting TV3 from my Preseli aerial. Some local relays don't carry TV3 and the OP maybe getting it from some distant transmitter hence the poor reception.

#5

Alun said:
The engineering menu on most Philips TV's is accessed by typing in 062596 folowed by the i+ button (program / source information) in quick succession. You have to be pretty quick about it though.


Yip

Heres whats on the service menu (I am sure you know the dangers that are in there)

Antenna Registered User
#6

Satdog said:
I have said TV and have no issues watching analogue TV3 and I don't even have a dedicated UHF aerial for the purpose as I'm getting TV3 from my Preseli aerial. Some local relays don't carry TV3 and the OP maybe getting it from some distant transmitter hence the poor reception.


(1) not my own reception. (2) TV3 bad at the location due to terrain not distance, I am well aware why, + I already posted its not on a local relay. (3) a lot of people in Wexford do get acceptable Tg4/TV3 reception that way (who are probably line-of-sight (or almost) with the Mt Leinster transmitter - The 'reflector' on a Group B aerial might not act as much of a shield for low UHF channels 23 and 26!


Alun said:
The engineering menu on most Philips TV's is accessed by typing in 062596 folowed by the i+ button (program / source information) in quick succession. You have to be pretty quick about it though.


Alun, that code worked fine on that TV,

There is indeed a picture mute option (default on) in the engineering menu (not in the user menu on this TV, Zilog) however no option I can see that could prevent sound dropouts due to intermittent receiver muting on a poor analogue signal. In the above situation it is less annoying however that the picture isn't also blanking out with (the sometimes only occasional, other times more often) sound dropouts on the poor TV3 reception at that location.


To disable picture muting with this TV: (also see attached pictures at end of this post)

Dealer options > Picture mute > Off/On (select off instead of on)


then go back to initial part of menu and go down and choose 'Store'.
I think TV then has to be turned off and on before change takes effect.

After doing this there is no longer picture muting - you will now see 'noise' in absence of analog RF signal ('no Programme available' prompt will still kick in after a few seconds as it did before).

This now allows even very weak analogue signals, or signals with bad interference to be seen (after manually tuning them in) which were previously 'invisible' - if you are curious of what is occupying channels, or what could be 'useable' with a better aerial etc

Also when using a VCR (even with SCART connection) - with the picture muting on, on this TV the picture previously would blank out for a second when pausing/unpausing or going in/out of Cue and Review, now there is a continuous picture (preferable).
Also its easier to troubleshoot (noise filled picture with a VHS usually due to 'dirty heads') were previously (with picture muting) there was no picture at all if video heads dirty, so less of a clue as to what is wrong!

And with a 2.4GHz video sender etc - if you can at least see 'noise' on screen after you turn on the receiver unit - you know, at least the thing is connected up properly!

It would really be better if the picture mute default was OFF not ON, I fail to see what the point of it is?

Toffeep Registered User
#7

Hi folks

ive found this thread by complete fluke, i unfortunatly purchased opne of these tvs on friday last week, we picked it up from the store on wednesday and had it fitted on thursday, it became immed aparent that it was faulty, the volume adjusts itself up or down in increment right to the max or mute, the volume icon stays on screen and the unit freezes, im still able to watch it provided its in the mute mode. the only way then to switch the tv off is by the mains, nothing else works, if i push the buttons on the side, it changes what should be the volume to the source output.

this in itself wouldnt be a big problem, its less than a week old and i could return it by law for a refund, this is the pickle, i bought it from laser who went into administration on thursday, the day after i picked up my tv!

ive looked online, tried the reset at the mains, tried the code above which brought me to a sound section, hubby did the reset thing on it too,
, basically i can watch the tv for ten mins max, then it shuts down/freezes,

any ideas? or tips please

thanks

pa990 Registered User
#8

does the problem happen when there are no batteries in the remote ? ?
It could be a prob with the remote

Toffeep Registered User
#9

pa990 said:
does the problem happen when there are no batteries in the remote ? ?
It could be a prob with the remote



hi

yeah, happens when batteries are removed from remote, so im sure its not that,

so far just seems a duff unit, and im not happy that it looks like we're gonna be stuck with it.

im gonna contact the cc and see will they help out, im hoping they will sort something but cant do that will wednesday again.

ive also just seen online that laser are gonna open on friday this week, and we will be at the doors with the tv and hope for a refund. fingers crossed! someone sorts us.

pa990 Registered User
#10

i'd phone them first, or go in for a chat.

It's no fun carting a big tv around

Sam Russell Moderator
#11

pa990 said:
i'd phone them first, or go in for a chat.

It's no fun carting a big tv around


And certainly not fun if you give it to them to get it repaired, and they keep it. They can offer to repair, replace, or refund. Clearly, you should seek a refund, or a direct swap. If you give it for repair, it might be the last time you see it.
I would contact Philips in Clonskeagh.
You can phone them on 0800 744 5477 They have helped me in the past. [A long time ago.]

Best of luck with it.

#12

That must have been a long time - Philips left Clonskeagh for Fonthill several years ago!

Here's a link to their current customer contacts:

http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_page.jsp?userLanguage=en&userCountry=ie

Sam Russell Moderator
#13

Bazzer2 said:
That must have been a long time - Philips left Clonskeagh for Fonthill several years ago!



Well, I did say it was a long time ago.

However, the freephone number I gave is still the same, so not everything changes.

Toffeep Registered User
#14

Bazzer2 said:
That must have been a long time - Philips left Clonskeagh for Fonthill several years ago!

Here's a link to their current customer contacts:

http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_page.jsp?userLanguage=en&userCountry=ie



thanks guys for all your help,

been in touch with cc today, if we leave it in somewhere and get an independant report that its a duff unit they will prob refund it,

im just keen now to get the report in motion, hubbys still gonna attempt to get a refund from laser themselves on friday when they open, were def not happy aboput getting it fixed, that is unless the cc lets us keep it and offers us the refund which i doubt,

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!