pajero12 Registered User

Right,sister got 05 mk v golf yesterday......Fogging up inside really bad...Before anyone says anything its not coolant on the windows.Does anyone know whats causing this?

Ush1 Registered User

Well condensation is just warm air hitting a cold surface. It's most likely just normal.

Aside from that the obvious things would be a cabin leak(test with a hose), the vents or the pollen filter.

1 person has thanked this post
bbk Registered User

Did you leave something in it that was wet?

I did that and I got horrible condensation afterwards.

A take away tray half full of table salt once every two days for twice or three times depending on how bad it is will do the trick. Place one at the foot well and/or back seat.

Also, on the next drive bake the car. Full on heat and set the vent selector to footwell and dash board vents.

After a while of that open a window or at the end of the trip have both doors open to let the damp air out.

That should clear it all up. If it comes back though it could be a leak.

Check the carpets and see if they are damp.

If they are the drain ports under the window scuttle gets blocked and lets water in the heater vent

Tropheus Registered User

If it has a pollen filter, check that it doesn't need changing. Had this problem on a Fiat a while back. Basically the pollen filter was completely clogged causing little or no aire to come into the cabin from outsdie. The air was continuously recycling and causing very bad condensation.

Pollen filters should be changed at least once a year, but some mechanics/dealerships don't do them unless they're specifically asked.

kasper Registered User

if the car was not being used for a while especialy outside it might just be damp inside ,try using it for a few days and see if it improves

carchaeologist Moderator

Im with the pollen filter suggestion here too.

pajero12 Registered User

carchaeologist said:
Im with the pollen filter suggestion here too.

is it hard to get at?

Stoolbend Registered User

pajero12 said:
is it hard to get at?

It's at the bottom of this page.

http://furmanka.blogspot.com/2006/08/20k-swonick.html

Tropheus Registered User

Looks to be in the same postion as my wife's Audi A2. Easy to get out, but was a bugger to get back in IIRC. Take your time, it's worth the trouble if it solves your problem.

Another favourite source of dampness/condensation in vehicles is a blocked or disconnected drain tube on the air conditioning.
I don't know if that applies to your particular car, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

dnme Registered User

I had similar problem recently and I did the following.

Air out the car, particularly today we have a bright sunny day, open all doors, open the boot and take out carpet, spare tyre and tools. Clean in around there if its damp. While you are at it, give the car a good old vacuum.

In my case, the spare tyre well was damp as was the boot carpet, I took it in overnight and dried it out. This solved my problem and my car has been completely dry ever since.

bbk Registered User

dnme said:
I had similar problem recently and I did the following.

Air out the car, particularly today we have a bright sunny day, open all doors, open the boot and take out carpet, spare tyre and tools. Clean in around there if its damp. While you are at it, give the car a good old vacuum.

In my case, the spare tyre well was damp as was the boot carpet, I took it in overnight and dried it out. This solved my problem and my car has been completely dry ever since.

The salt idea fixed all that for me. I had a saturated boot carpet, as if someone had a hose in it. Salt cleared it all up in two days and feck all effort haha

Owen Registered User

Be cautious with salt. Salt corrodes metal, even if you're just putting it on the carpets, it will, without your help, get on the seat rails, etc. Rice is a much better option. Rice absorbs moisture like nothing I've ever seen.

2 people have thanked this post
bbk Registered User

PaintDoctor said:
Be cautious with salt. Salt corrodes metal, even if you're just putting it on the carpets, it will, without your help, get on the seat rails, etc. Rice is a much better option. Rice absorbs moisture like nothing I've ever seen.

Do you mean if you leave salt in a car and not touching the metal? I think you misunderstand. I dont pour the salt onto the carpet. I keep it in a take away tray to let it do its thing.

I havent tried the rice, though the salt was pretty quick for me.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!