mack10 Registered User
#1

Hi
Hope someone can help.

I have been using an @iol.ie email account for a long, long time. However, I cannot remember my password as it was saved into Outlook and I haven't needed to enter it for years now. Can anyone tell me where to go to reset the password?

The links on the page webmail.iol.ie don't work. They just bring you to error pages with more broken links.


Cheers,
Mack

p.s.
I know I should move to gmail but it would be a pain to move everything especially if I can't login to iol and setup forwarding.

BaconZombie Registered User
#2

What version of Outlook are you using?>

You can prob pull the password out of the config or reg,

mack10 Registered User
#3

Seriously? That doesn't sound very secure.

I'm actually using Windows Mail but was on outlook express prior.

batman2000 Registered User
#4

BaconZombie said:
What version of Outlook are you using?>

You can prob pull the password out of the config or reg,


Even though you can export your emails and contacts from outlook. One thing I dont believe you can do is export the account password. Unfortunatley I have no idea how you are able to recover the password because if you click on this link and select forgot password the page is not displayed.
As IOL is now under BT you could try BT Ireland Tech support on1890923111. But then BT is now under Vodafone......

batman2000 Registered User
#6



Worked fine for my Outlook 2007

qwertyTRiG Registered User
#7

mack10 said:
I know I should move to gmail but it would be a pain to move everything especially if I can't login to iol and setup forwarding.
When you do move to Gmail, do what I did and continue to use IOL address: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055840316.

TRiG.

1 person has thanked this post
mack10 Registered User
#8

Thanks xsiborg that worked perfectly.

But it also begs the question....how come passwords can be hacked so easily? Surely they should encrypt the passwords in a responsible manner.

p.s.
I retrieved my password and logged into iol webmail account but nowhere in there does it offer you the function of changing the password. Time to move out of the dark ages....

DrainBamaged Registered User
#9

Ok so I'm in a similar situation except I may not be able to get access to the machine which had the outlook I used on it.

Anyone any clue who I could waste some time calling to try and recover the password? It was momentous to me that I could still even remember the address.

Enright Registered User
#10

Just an update
i ran this but my AV detected a threat

Turned off the AV and it worked, now i must scan my computer

thanks

Zab Registered User
#11

mack10 said:
But it also begs the question....how come passwords can be hacked so easily? Surely they should encrypt the passwords in a responsible manner.


The way this is usually implemented means that the computer needs to be able to get at the password in order to log in to the account. So, even if it was encrypted on the disk the computer would need to have all the information required to decrypt the password, which means another application could just use the same information and decrypt the password itself. A master password is a common solution to this, where your computer will require a single password from you in order to decrypt the file where it stores all of your other passwords.

Enright said:
Just an update
i ran this but my AV detected a threat

Turned off the AV and it worked, now i must scan my computer

thanks


I wouldn't be overly worried about this. The AV is probably just noting an application trying to access "sensitive" files on your computer. NirSoft used to track this but it looks like they gave up due to the volume: http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html

Karsini Registered User
#12

Enright said:
Just an update
i ran this but my AV detected a threat

Turned off the AV and it worked, now i must scan my computer

thanks


Zab said:
I wouldn't be overly worried about this. The AV is probably just noting an application trying to access "sensitive" files on your computer. NirSoft used to track this but it looks like they gave up due to the volume: http://www.nirsoft.net/false_positive_report.html


Yep. Don't worry about this. Anti-virus software detect a lot of the NirSoft utilities as malicious because they could be used to steal passwords or product keys, but the software doesn't contain any malicious code.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!