No wont happen.

1rishguy Registered User

donvito99 said:
Ive heard that Garda Reservists can only arrest under the Criminal Law Act 1997. Is that alot of arrestable offences?

And do Reservists carry batons/ASPs?

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Garda%20Reserve.pdf/Files/Garda%20Reserve.pdf

1 person has thanked this post

Good booklet, that middle picture on page 3 is ..

kerry4sam Moderator

That post you quoted was from 2008 when the Garda Reserves was a fairly new concept.

Although, it still is a fairly new concept to some people, even in 2012 so cheers for posting that link

Raider190 Banned

Well girls and boys , the new powers are on the way. No doubt that it will make us all more productive and able to assist our full time colleagues. Its good to hear that we are appreciated and that all our our hard work has not been in vain.

(Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this
I have been informed by the Garda authorities that as of 31 May 2012, the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 918, with a further 225 in training. The moratorium on public service recruitment does not apply to members of the Garda Reserve as they are volunteers and recruitment to the reserve is ongoing.
The target strength of the Garda Reserve is 10% of the full-time force and I would like to assure the House that the Government is fully committed to its continued development. Members of the Garda Reserve make a hugely valuable contribution to policing. They are drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professions and currently include representatives of 27 different countries.
The Garda Reserve has a wide range of duties which include foot patrols, road traffic checkpoint duties, community-neighbourhood policing and station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners. They assist in the policing of public events and also at the scenes of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
The Garda Commissioner has carried out a review of the role and functions of the Garda Reserve and arising from that, is introducing new measures to enhance the operation of the reserve. These include the extension of the functions of the Garda Reserve to the exercise of powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts and section 41 of the Road Traffic Acts in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
Training on these and other matters, such as dealing with domestic violence, child protection and conflict resolution, is being organised for serving and recruit members of the Garda Reserve and will commence later this year. Garda Reserve members will also be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
I would like to place on record my appreciation of the members of the reserve who give of their time on a voluntary basis and for their ongoing commitment to the Garda Síochána.

1 person has thanked this post
bluetop Registered User

Raider190 said:
Well girls and boys , the new powers are on the way. No doubt that it will make us all more productive and able to assist our full time colleagues. Its good to hear that we are appreciated and that all our our hard work has not been in vain.

(Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this
I have been informed by the Garda authorities that as of 31 May 2012, the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 918, with a further 225 in training. The moratorium on public service recruitment does not apply to members of the Garda Reserve as they are volunteers and recruitment to the reserve is ongoing.
The target strength of the Garda Reserve is 10% of the full-time force and I would like to assure the House that the Government is fully committed to its continued development. Members of the Garda Reserve make a hugely valuable contribution to policing. They are drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professions and currently include representatives of 27 different countries.
The Garda Reserve has a wide range of duties which include foot patrols, road traffic checkpoint duties, community-neighbourhood policing and station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners. They assist in the policing of public events and also at the scenes of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
The Garda Commissioner has carried out a review of the role and functions of the Garda Reserve and arising from that, is introducing new measures to enhance the operation of the reserve. These include the extension of the functions of the Garda Reserve to the exercise of powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts and section 41 of the Road Traffic Acts in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
Training on these and other matters, such as dealing with domestic violence, child protection and conflict resolution, is being organised for serving and recruit members of the Garda Reserve and will commence later this year. Garda Reserve members will also be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
I would like to place on record my appreciation of the members of the reserve who give of their time on a voluntary basis and for their ongoing commitment to the Garda Síochána.

Now lets see how long it will be for the training to commence, they might have announced the new powers, sure it could take another year for the training even to start, you and me both know how slow the wheels in AGS turn, and they are at a snail pace, it only took them 6yrs to get the reserve rank up on their website

When the training begins that is when we all know its truly happening, until then its all talk, and pure PR we all know they love to talk in the Dail.

Sgt. Bilko 09 Registered User

bluetop said:
Now lets see how long it will be for the training to commence, they might have announced the new powers, sure it could take another year for the training even to start, you and me both know how slow the wheels in AGS turn, and they are at a snail pace, it only took them 6yrs to get the reserve rank up on their website

When the training begins that is when we all know its truly happening, until then its all talk, and pure PR we all know they love to talk in the Dail.

Training has already begun for these new powers mate

blueforce Registered User

Sgt. Bilko 09 said:

What kind of training has begun? Trainers or Reserves?

bluetop Registered User

Sgt. Bilko 09 said:

Since when have they commenced, is it in the collage or local training, how come nobody has been notified about it. ?

Yogi Bear Registered User

bluetop said:
Since when have they commenced, is it in the collage or local training, how come nobody has been notified about it. ?

I think anyone on Phase 2 in Templemore for the two weeks are getting trained in the new powers at present.

I wonder will the training be in local Division CPD schools or will we all have to go to templemore for a few days.

Yogi Bear Registered User

It's two months since it was announced that we are getting new powers . Anyone had any word on what happening with training or any info at all.............

bluetop Registered User

Sgt. Bilko 09 said:

Looks like the training never got off the ground for this one !!

bluetop Registered User

Raider190 said:

Looks like i was right in what i said the wheels turn slowly, they have not turned at all in the last 2 months, looks like this was a PR stunt to either keep the punters happy or the Reserves, my guess it was the reserves as there are a lot quitting due to lack of utilisation and lack of training.

bluetop said:

there are a lot quitting due to lack of utilisation and lack of training.

amen to that

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!