SeanW Registered User
#556

monument said:
If there is precedent in Irish law please cite the case law. Put up or shut up... otherwise it's clear that you're mistaking the term "precedent in Irish law" as something it is not.
Ok. Let's assume - for the sake of argument - that everyone on this forum except you (and the Save Newgrange (i.e. **** Slane) brigade) is wrong. Then tell me why do the following towns:


  • Drogheda (M1 toll)
  • Lucan (M50 toll)
  • Clonard (M4 toll)
  • Abbeyleix (M8 toll)
  • Durrow (M8 toll)
  • Johnstown (M8 toll)
  • Fermoy (M8 toll)
  • Watergrasshill (M8 tool)


not have HGV bans?

1 person has thanked this post
monument Moderator
#557

MYOB said:
the m1 is at capacity towards the city and non free. The m3 is non free and wildly out of the way. Neither meets any standards to be a diversion route.


What I mean is divert traffict to the alternatives already provided for the M1 and M3. Those diversions must fit the bill already, mostly what would be needed is more sign points north and south of Slane to where those alternatives. Towards the M1 will suit many and giving the towards M3 option will be helpful to others.

Another option overall would be to fully or partly subvent the tolls on the M1 for HGVs. Partly meaning this could be done for only for proven local traffic which is put out the most -- and diverting long distance traffic is harly putting it out of the way at all.

monument Moderator
#558

monument said:
If there is precedent in Irish law please cite the case law. Put up or shut up... otherwise it's clear that you're mistaking the term "precedent in Irish law" as something it is not.
Ok. Let's assume - for the sake of argument - that everyone on this forum except you (and the Save Newgrange (i.e. **** Slane) brigade) is wrong. Then tell me why do the following towns:


  • Drogheda (M1 toll)
  • Lucan (M50 toll)
  • Clonard (M4 toll)
  • Abbeyleix (M8 toll)
  • Durrow (M8 toll)
  • Johnstown (M8 toll)
  • Fermoy (M8 toll)
  • Watergrasshill (M8 tool)


not have HGV bans?


What claim are you trying to make now?

That tolls must have free alternatives by law?

L1011 Moderator
#559

you were concerned about costs of (notional, non existent) toll dodging earlier and now you're suggesting subventing same...

The m1 alternative is so above capacity that Juliantown practically needs a bypass already, and the roads to the m3 alternative are in dire need of upgrades. Why spend money there and not on slane?

SeanW Registered User
#560

monument said:
What claim are you trying to make now?

That tolls must have free alternatives by law?
Not necessarily. I'm asking you to explain why these towns do not have HGV bans?

monument
M3
You're still on about the M3? Have you even looked at a map of the area? The M3 is 10 miles away over Non National roads. It also goes in a dramatically different direction.

1 person has thanked this post
lucernarian Registered User
#561

From the scarce details on this up to now, it remains unclear if a bypass/hgv ban for through traffic would have made a difference but anyway yet another tragedy has happened at Slane.

http://www.thejournal.ie/crash-slane-drogheda-road-714954-Dec2012/

RIP.

1 person has thanked this post
#562

To_be_confirmed said:
From the scarce details on this up to now, it remains unclear if a bypass/hgv ban for through traffic would have made a difference but anyway yet another tragedy has happened at Slane.

http://www.thejournal.ie/crash-slane-drogheda-road-714954-Dec2012/

RIP.


Well the famous 22 crosses will become 23 - it's a disgrace!

Sponge Bob Banned
#563

But they should all have been on a bicycle according to our Green Overlords. !!!

#564

Sponge Bob said:
But they should all have been on a bicycle according to our Green Overlords. !!!


+1

Yes, it's really disgraceful how much representation these people have in this country - all for democracy!

I really think our constitution is shot - we need a new republic that represents the people, not just the few narrow minded interests like ideologists, IBEC, bankers, farmers, certain professions, CIF, speculators etc... It's time this country served it's people!

monument Moderator
#565

Sponge Bob said:
But they should all have been on a bicycle according to our Green Overlords. !!!


Somebody is dead. Not the best time for a bit of nonsensical muck slinging, but that won't stop you.

1 person has thanked this post
Sponge Bob Banned
#566

monument said:
Somebody is dead. Not the best time for a bit of nonsensical muck slinging, but that won't stop you.


Had there not been "nonsensical muck slinging" in the first place, much of it coming from serial objectors and in this very thread, then Slane could well have been bypassed by now.

Had Slane been bypassed by now that poor gentleman may well be alive today.

5 people have thanked this post
Slane Resident Registered User
#567

A very sad day in Slane today. Rest in peace, Jimmy.

3 people have thanked this post
ardmacha Registered User
#568

For what it is worth, the recent fatality was on the N51, so not affected directly by the N2 bypass. That said a link road to the N51 west of Slane would seem an obvious extension to an bypass, unless a bigger DOOR scheme gets going.

2 people have thanked this post
lucernarian Registered User
#569

ardmacha said:
For what it is worth, the recent fatality was on the N51, so not affected directly by the N2 bypass. That said a link road to the N51 west of Slane would seem an obvious extension to an bypass, unless a bigger DOOR scheme gets going.

This is why I mentioned how the bypass may not have prevented this accident. But it must be noted that many trucks will come from the N51-Drogheda side to take a left or right on to the N2, and in that case the bypass would have prevented this unfortunate tragedy.

SeanW Registered User
#570

To_be_confirmed said:
This is why I mentioned how the bypass may not have prevented this accident. But it must be noted that many trucks will come from the N51-Drogheda side to take a left or right on to the N2, and in that case the bypass would have prevented this unfortunate tragedy.
And if the truck was going to the N2, then the Save Newgrange brigade have blood on their hands and should gloriously point to the consequences of their success.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!