• Fingers only (38.71%)
  • Pick only (9.68%)
  • Both, depending on the song (51.61%)
  • Ibanez SR706 (0%)
Rigsby Registered User
#1

I dont use one myself at the moment, but I'm considering it, for no other reason than to add to my tone/sound. I've read on some bass forums that plectrum players are considered somehow inferior by "real" (there's that word again ) bassists. This would not put me off using one, as I consider it a load of s***e. If it suits the music, then what is the problem ? The legendary bassist Carol Kaye always uses one, and if it she is not a "real" bassist than I don't know who is.

I'm just curious if there is the same bias here towards bassists who use a pick.

Pappa Dolla Moderator
#2

\Hands up

As long as suits the song, but one of my favourite sounds is the JJ Burnel, Mike Dirnt (early stuff) sound anyway. Not mad on rumbling bass sounds where it's barely audible in the background myself.

iamhunted Registered User
#3

i rarely use one, though as papa smut said, if the song needs no plectrum then it gets none. +1 on monsieur burnell

#4

I don't use one currently but I was in a covers band and I used the pick quiet a bit because the song called for that type of sound. This whole thing about real players don't use a pick is a pile of ****e. Real players know when to use it and when not to.

1 person has thanked this post
marcin_plato Registered User
#5

best bass players don't use plectrum. Bass guitar was invented as continuation to double bass. i can't imagine playing double bass using plectrum.

Examples such as M.Dirnt is a bad example. Punk rock bass players aren't highly skilled players. they possibly can't coordinate fingering that's why they use plectrum. it's a lot easier.

anyway. i don't advise to start your bass journey with plectrum. it might be hard to switch back to the right direction.

check Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Pattitucci to see what to do with bass.

Peace

M

Rigsby Registered User
#6

marcin_plato said:
best bass players don't use plectrum. Bass guitar was invented as continuation to double bass. i can't imagine playing double bass using plectrum.

Examples such as M.Dirnt is a bad example. Punk rock bass players aren't highly skilled players. they possibly can't coordinate fingering that's why they use plectrum. it's a lot easier.

anyway. i don't advise to start your bass journey with plectrum. it might be hard to switch back to the right direction.

check Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Pattitucci to see what to do with bass.

Peace

M



Granted, the majority of bass players use finger style. However, prefering fingers to pick is not a recipe to being the "best" bassist. The right direction points in a different way to different people. IMO, the more skills you have at your disposel, and knowing when and where to use them, is what makes a player the "best".

Ash.J.Williams Registered User
#7

marcin_plato said:
best bass players don't use plectrum. Bass guitar was invented as continuation to double bass. i can't imagine playing double bass using plectrum.

Examples such as M.Dirnt is a bad example. Punk rock bass players aren't highly skilled players. they possibly can't coordinate fingering that's why they use plectrum. it's a lot easier.

anyway. i don't advise to start your bass journey with plectrum. it might be hard to switch back to the right direction.

check Jaco Pastorius, Marcus Miller, John Pattitucci to see what to do with bass.

Peace

M

I disagree with your opinion on punks, i think plecs provide an aggressive tone when used appropriately.

2 people have thanked this post
jarain Registered User
#8

I don't use a plectrum very often myself, to be honest I'm a bit crap with one due to years playing with fingers only. This is a big weakness in my eyes as I am effectively ruling out a whole range of tones!!! It is definitely on my to-do list this year to get much better at plectrum playing.

I can't really agree that punk players aren't highly skilled. Mike Dirnt himself is quite a melodic player and you should check our Matt Freeman from Rancid for another fantastically talented player who plays punk.

A pick for these punk players is part of the ethos and style and as such is the weapon of choice.

1 person has thanked this post
DerKaiser Registered User
#9

In my experience it's about speed and tone, you can get a bright tone from your fingers if you adjust the settings the right way or play slap, and you can practice your fingers to get to that speed

Would I use a pick? Have done in covers bands, as has been said, where the original bassist used one on the record, on originals, never! A little part of me died when I saw the Chilis in Landsdowne in 2002 and they played Parallel Universe and Flea was using a pick.........

a9ismine Registered User
#10

anyone know any good bass guitar teachers

judas101 Registered User
#11

DerKaiser said:
A little part of me died when I saw the Chilis in Landsdowne in 2002 and they played Parallel Universe and Flea was using a pick.........



Listening to the record, its obvious he's using a pick.

It'd be impossible to get that tone and note consistency otherwise.

OK-Cancel-Apply Registered User
#12

Roger Glover - another pick user. I don't know, I prefer finger style. Playing with a pick doesn't give that fat sound I like.

Rigsby Registered User
#13

Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Naturally every one will have their preferences, for whatever reason. What I'm also curious about is, do you think some one who uses a pick is some how inferior or not up to the standard of a finger style player ?

DerKaiser Registered User
#14

judas101 said:
Listening to the record, its obvious he's using a pick.

It'd be impossible to get that tone and note consistency otherwise.


I can play it with fingers and I'll bet Steve Harris could too, Flea was being lazy in my book

DerKaiser Registered User
#15

Rigsby said:
Thanks for all the replies so far lads. Naturally every one will have their preferences, for whatever reason. What I'm also curious about is, do you think some one who uses a pick is some how inferior or not up to the standard of a finger style player ?


There is no reason why a bassist that uses a pick should be inferior to one who doesn't, it's just that the majority of bass players that play with fingers are better, in most cases it's endurance for me, when something is fast and repetative it's easier to use a pick, but you can achieve it with fingers if you really put in the wrist exploding practice, 3 fingers in theory can play faster than one pick once you get them up to speed, bloody hard work though, but if you think somethings worth doing, then why not?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!