whiteshadow Registered User
#1

So i dropped my iphone 3G 8GB,
luckily i was insured and picked up a new one yesterday
I still own the old one so have the option to pay for a screen replacement 70 euro. and then i could possibly sell it..?

So

Q1) How much could i sell it for? The place im getting it fixed also offers unlocking. Would it fetch more if it was unlocked?

Q2) Any ideas on how much i'd expect to get for it?

thanks

Rew Moderator
#2

Where you getting the screen done for 70? mate of mine just busted his

#3

200 or 250 . Unlocking is so easy don't pay for it
edit
insurance fraud you naughty boy

TiltedBrain Registered User
#4

i would of that the broken iphone would be your insurers property now???

whiteshadow Registered User
#5

got it done in FM Mobiles on georges street

fattestman Registered User
#6

Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?

antodeco Warning: Contains traces of nuts
#7

fattestman said:
Has anyone ever replaced a cracked screen themselves?

Now I know what you'll say - that I should just cough up the €70 and get it fixed properly. Thing is, I bought the handset second hand as I lost my old phone. It's working fine except for the screen is badly damaged. I obviously can't insure it so I don't want to spend €120 getting it replaced (that's the quote I keep getting here in Cork) only for me to drop it or something!

So I was going to have a go off it myself. There're loads of screens on eBay but I really don't know which to buy. Ideally I'd like to get one that can be changed by just screwing and clipping and so on and not have to do any unglueing or glueing.

Any suggestions?


How to repair the screen

1 person has thanked this post
Lenny Tallaght Scumbag
#8

umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?

dodzy Registered User
#9

Lenny said:
umm..I take ti that the insuirance company has the imei number of the phone. and because they gave you a new phone and wrote the other one off. the imei would be blocked from all irish networks?


+1.

It is now an itouch with a broken screen

bigdogbarking Registered User
#10

Can't you hide or erase your imei?
In theory?
I'm almost sure you could find a solution/software in google......

Lenny Tallaght Scumbag
#11

It used to be possible on older phones alright 2 years back, but it was very very trickey changing it(getting a valid imei was the prob) but I don't know how it has gotten now.
your iphone might even have problems now connecting to itunes

JellyBeans92 Registered User
#12

Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.

kceire Registered User
#13

JellyBeans92 said:
Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.


FM mobile still charge €70 for replacement glass screen, supplied and fitted.
it looks so easy to DIY but i cant find the parts for less than 80 dollars online with zeetron.com but then you have to attempt it yourself.

Kevin! Registered User
#14

JellyBeans92 said:
Hi

I just dropped my iPhone 3G on a nice hard tiled floor, and the glass front smashed in bits

It's still works, just the screen kinda looks like a see-through mosaic?! =D

I was just wondering if anyone knew anywhere around north wexford/ south wicklow that can do the repairs for a reasonable price (i.e. about or less that 50 euro?)

It's just that I'm a student i.e. absolutely broke.



http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37189


30$ and should do the job ;] (I think)

dougs09 Registered User
#15

is'nt the whole messing about with the imei number thing of your phone a serious criminal offence now, it ties in line with anti terrorism laws or summat?

at least thats what my mate tellls me lol

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!