westtip Registered User
#9,196

eastwest said:
In a sense, what the public wants is irrelevant. This is all about politics; eamon o'cuiv is promising trains everywhere so Sean Kyne had to promise more trains to more places. Sean Canney is a one trick pony who built his reputation on trains and can't afford to tell the truth at this stage. Michael Ring will fund anything as long as it is in westport, so promising a train is easy for him -- he knows it will never happen so it won't ever be a drain on his budget. And all of them have assorted councilors who are sticking with the west on track bandwagon because it works as a vote getter. There is even a bit of crossover, with Sean Kyne's parliamentary assistant being a WOT councillor.
Mad stuff, but don't be fooled into thinking that the interests of the population has anything to do with it.

Yep but somehow I feel the game is up, there has just been so much negative talk about the Western Rail Corridor and so many leaks that it will not happen I just think (hope) that finally we are about to hear that most strange thing in irish politics - a decision.

1 person has thanked this post
westtip Registered User
#9,197
marno21 Moderator
#9,198

Leo Varadkar, Taoiseach

On rail services, I am not in a position to make announcements today. Decisions will be made on Friday and then announced. Speaking as a former transport Minister and somebody who is interested in the issue, especially railways, heavy railways, in particular, are very expensive to build and once they are built, if they do not carry significant passenger numbers, they are very expensive to operate. When one is prioritising spending on rail services, the first thing one needs to prioritise is safety. A lot of the investment needs to go into existing rail lines to improve safety. The second thing one needs to do is deal with congestion. Some train lines are very heavily used, while others are not. We need to reduce congestion and increase frequency and line speeds on the heavily congested lines. If one is to build new additional train lines, they need to be subjected to a proper appraisal. I refer to such things as a net present value and a benefit to cost ratio. The commitment on the western rail corridor in the programme for Government is not to build or complete it but to carry out such an appraisal of such a benefit to cost ratio. The last time it was done it came out negatively at a cost of 100 against six - 100 being the cost and six the benefit.

Most rail projects come out around 100 to 80. It did not come out of that well and had a negative net present value over 30 years. Indeed, that turned out to be optimistic. Passenger numbers are now half what they were projected to be at this point. They were supposed to be 200,000 after five years. Moreover, the cost of building came in higher.

However, that is not to say that we cannot examine it again or examine doing further sections of it, but we would of course have to do full and proper appraisal and cost-benefit analysis. It would not be justifiable to proceed with a project in full knowledge of how the assessment came out. I imagine Deputies will agree that is the right approach to proper planning and use of taxpayers' money.

Fairly black and white that.

6 people have thanked this post
eastwest Registered User
#9,199

westtip said:

He might be under pressure, but my guess is he'll try to come up with some excuse to keep fudging until after the election.
The organisation he supports is something of a cult at this stage, and won't allow him to change his stance all that readily.

westtip Registered User
#9,200

marno21 said:
Fairly black and white that.

From what you say it looks like he will get his report promised in the NDP on Friday and that will be the end of it, where did you pick up that quote from Varadkar.....

found it in the dail reports very interesting, definitely sounds like a Canney fudge coming

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2018021400020?opendocument

marno21 Moderator
#9,201
westtip Registered User
#9,202

marno21 said:

Yep see my revision to post, looks like there will be a fudge on this with the infamous report to come.

Muckyboots Registered User
#9,203

marno21 said:

A pyrrhic victory of sorts for Sean, but given Varadkar's expansive Dail reply and his voters well informed viewpoint, one he might end up regretting. Ringer will have a billion in his back pocket for North Mayo. Sean will have a useless, face saving, predetermined report for South Mayo and North Galway.

3 people have thanked this post
marno21 Moderator
#9,204

Muckyboots said:
A pyrrhic victory of sorts for Sean, but given Varadkar's expansive Dail reply and his voters well informed viewpoint, one he might end up regretting. Ringer will have a billion in his back pocket for North Mayo. Sean will have a useless, face saving, predetermined report for South Mayo and North Galway.

He could have gone back to his constituents with a greenway and N17 dualling project. But no.

6 people have thanked this post
eastwest Registered User
#9,205

marno21 said:
He could have gone back to his constituents with a greenway and N17 dualling project. But no.

One of the worst examples I can ever remember of a politician dropping the ball. Sean Canney coukd have put east Galway front and centre of the NDP but instead he delivers a useless piece of paper to placate a few elderly pipe dreamers. I reckon the electorate will crucify him in June.

westtip Registered User
#9,206

marno21 said:

Yep if he had asked for dc to sligo for the N17 in the programme for Govt, it would have transferred to the NDP, the greenway was a shoe in of an idea with the support of all three Galway East TDs and the fact the govt want West on Track consigned to history. He will have his piece of paper in his hand but it won't be "peace in our tuam" I reckon he could get slaughtered for his pathetic performance. Probably won't be he has the touch of the Jacky healys/Michael Lowrys about him, although at least they do represent their constituencies and don't fight for the interests of the chambers of commerce in Claremorris.

2 people have thanked this post
eastwest Registered User
#9,207

westtip said:
Yep if he had asked for dc to sligo for the N17 in the programme for Govt, it would have transferred to the NDP, the greenway was a shoe in of an idea with the support of all three Galway East TDs and the fact the govt want West on Track consigned to history. He will have his piece of paper in his hand but it won't be "peace in our tuam" I reckon he could get slaughtered for his pathetic performance. Probably won't be he has the touch of the Jacky healys/Michael Lowrys about him, although at least they do represent their constituencies and don't fight for the interests of the chambers of commerce in Claremorris.

Galway east has a history of being unforgiving when it comes to not delivering for constituents. I reckon we will see the last of Sean Canney next time around.
Still, he won't starve; I'm sure they'll look after him in Claremorris.

Isambard Registered User
#9,209

hmm, light rail for Cork....

Muckyboots Registered User
#9,210

The cronyism is always in the detail. " Case by case" on "smaller capital spends" and the promise of an appraisal of the WRC will give WOT something to crow about.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!