JCX BXC Registered User
#9,001

More pedantism

eastwest Registered User
#9,002

Hugh Jampton said:
And its post 9000 - (not my post 9000 though)

What do ye reckon will happen before post 9,999 and the lock?

As long as the spoofers get reelected, nothing needs to happen.

1 person has thanked this post
voz es Registered User
#9,003

Have a read.... make your own opinions up readers don't listen to the noise, the west of the country needs a full north-south rail link.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mbp554/want-to-fix-american-airports-build-a-better-train-network

2 people have thanked this post
Grandeeod Registered User
#9,004

voz es said:
Have a read.... make your own opinions up readers don't listen to the noise, the west of the country needs a full north-south rail link.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/mbp554/want-to-fix-american-airports-build-a-better-train-network

I think I preferred it when I was banned from here.

6 people have thanked this post
eastwest Registered User
#9,005

voz es said:

You have a point. Get the people off the sligo-Galway flights and on to trains, it's a whole market that has been overlooked.
Makes a lot more sense than building hospitals.

monument Moderator
#9,006

Right -- that's enough... back on topic.

2 people have thanked this post
Wagon360 Registered User
#9,007

eastwest said:
You have a point. Get the people off the sligo-Galway flights and on to trains, it's a whole market that has been overlooked.
Makes a lot more sense than building hospitals.

Run out of credible arguments then?

monument Moderator
#9,008

westtip said:
I think EASTWEST has actually touched on a quite brilliant idea - instead of the Western Rail Corridor The Western Air Corridor. With Cork. Kerry, Shannon, Galway, Knock, a re-opened Sligo, Donegal and Derry airports all linked by a daily commuter "hopper" flight, stopping at all airports along the route. There would of course be a feeder flight from the Aran Islands so folk can get from Inismor to Derry for a daily commute. - this idea would take all the Inismor Derry commuter traffic off the road forever. It would solve the WRC issue instantly - obviously with a Transatlantic international gateway hub to be built at one of the airports, naturally this would have to be as close to Claremorris as possible.....err Knock I guess.

Jaysus I have just realised the Atlantic Economic corridor has 8 Airports, those folks on the East Coast may be asking for balanced regional development soon.

WAC. Or maybe just Wacky. We must all make a submission to Ireland 2040 demanding this one now.

Is a two week ban enough?

— moderator

monument Moderator
#9,009

The quality around here on both sides need to improve:

Wagon360 said:
Run out of credible arguments then?

Maybe a better counter argument from yourself might not go a miss? ie explaining why the article linked to is a realistic prospect for the west coast, its villages and towns and its airports.

— moderator

5 people have thanked this post
Isambard Registered User
#9,010

voz es said:

The west of the country needs , first of all, improved rail links with the east.

3 people have thanked this post
Wagon360 Registered User
#9,011

voz es said:

The Irish Railway Developments blog has published a good companion piece to this post.

See irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/the-atlantic-economic-corridor-is-more-than-just-a-motorway/

eastwest Registered User
#9,012

Wagon360 said:
The Irish Railway Developments blog has published a good companion piece to this post.

See irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/the-atlantic-economic-corridor-is-more-than-just-a-motorway/

The heavy guns are in now!
Irish Railway Developments will certainly have lots of influence on rail policy in Ireland, although it might involve signing their articles.

Muckyboots Registered User
#9,013

Wagon360 said:

"Re-engineer Ireland" = Trumpism.

Back to reality - with David Franks, a "railwayman", heading out the CEO door at Irish Rail, would a new broom be lined up for a clean sweep and a quick exit?

Hugh Jampton Registered User
#9,014

eastwest said:
The heavy guns are in now!
Irish Railway Developments will certainly have lots of influence on rail policy in Ireland, although it might involve signing their articles.

Yeh, just like here!

Wagon360 Registered User
#9,015

Muckyboots said:
"Re-engineer Ireland" = Trumpism.

Okay here's a dose of what "muckyboots" calls Trumpism. I'm hoping we can have a serious debate on the points raised.

The Atlantic Economic Corridor (AEC) was conceived as a joint project by several Chambers of Commerce in major towns in the west of Ireland. The AEC would link up Belfast to Cork along an arc running through Derry, Letterkenny, Sligo, Galway and Limerick. Along the way we have five major airports and major sea ports. Some may think it is merely a case of building a motorway between all of these cities and towns but the AEC is much more than that.

And some more on airport connections:

Our airports could be better served by non-road transport. All of Northern Ireland’s main airports, Belfast City, Belfast International and City of Derry all have railway lines running next to them. Rail services should stop at the airports to allow faster onward connections. Knock Airport and Shannon have nearby rail connections. These airports must have rail connections also, as this will encourage more passengers to use them. The National Transport Authority’s assessment that only the proposed Metro North railway is sufficient to meet Dublin Airport’s transport needs in the future is flawed; their Greater Dublin Area Transport Strategy does not take into account the wider national catchment of Dublin Airport. I welcome the words in the introduction to the NPF that a Heavy Rail option to Dublin Airport should also be considered. Bringing Heavy Rail as well as Metro North to Dublin Airport would transform Inter City rail services, as this would allow air passengers to take trains directly to and from Dublin Airport to any rail connected town or city in Ireland.

Source: https://irishrailwaydevelopments.wordpress.com/2018/01/12/the-atlantic-economic-corridor-is-more-than-just-a-motorway/

I guess we all await the outcome of the rail review with more than a passing interest. If the Government is going to do some joined up thinking then it makes more sense for the rail review to await the final National Planning Framework document. It is more than likely that we will see a heavily revised NPF document that will recognise the significance of regional railway lines and to make more of an effort to use railways as well as motorways. In that light I would expect to see the final NPF document followed by the Rail Review to be published.

What implications does this have for the Western Rail Corridor north of Athenry?

In my opinion, it's absolutely clear that the M17 motorway has not solved the issue of Tuam to Galway traffic. That particular issue will be relieved somewhat by adding a bus lane to the N17 but bus lanes will not encourage significant modal shift from cars.

In my view the following needs to happen;

The main railway line from Athenry to Galway should be doubled to allow more trains to occupy the lines. In addition a direct commuter service from Tuam via Athenry to Galway should be established. More stations should be built, particularly from Oranmore to Galway City at Merlin Park Hospital, Roscam and Ballyloughnane Strand. Park and Ride facilities should be provided at each railway station and a frequent service running at least every 20 minutes during the daytime should be provided. This would help partially relieve traffic into the city. The roundabouts on the main N4 road should be converted to gyratories with the main road underpassing. At the same time a BRT system should be put in place with a firm plan to convert that BRT to Tram in the near future. Tram systems should not be ruled out. Cycle sharing schemes and cycle parking should be put in place at railway stations and BRT/Tram stops.

North of Tuam the railway line should be rebuilt to Claremorris to allow freight from Ballina to travel down to Waterford and Foynes.

Further planning expansion should be made near to the railway line. This would ensure that the investment made in expanding the railway pays off.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!