cadey110 Registered User

Hi all, I drive a 06 Land cruiser and have had squeaky wipers for a while now. I thought that when I replaced them that the problem would go away but I put new ones on today and they are still squeaking. Any ideas on whats causing this? Its doing me nut in at the minute!!

Anan1 Registered User

Try thoroughly cleaning both the wiper blades and the windscreen?

jameshayes Registered User

Washing up liquid. Loads of it. Then some WD40

biko Arbiter

Clean the windscreen and wipers with pure white vinegar. Put a cup of it in the washer reservoir too.

cadey110 Registered User

Magnus said:
Clean the windscreen and wipers with pure white vinegar. Put a cup of it in the washer reservoir too.

Cheers Magnus, I just put on new wipers today and am still having the squeaking. I will try the vinegar tho.,

kermitpwee Registered User

Ya i'm having the same problem. I bet yours are Bosch?

cadey110 Registered User

kermitpwee said:
Ya i'm having the same problem. I bet yours are Bosch?

Spot on. Did I make a bad choice? Picked them up in Halfords cos I didnt fancy the look of their own brand.

kermitpwee Registered User

cadey110 said:
Spot on. Did I make a bad choice? Picked them up in Halfords cos I didnt fancy the look of their own brand.

Bosch aint cheap but every set I buy of them squeak! I try to avoid them if I can now.

8vjohn Registered User

Did you change the blades or the whole arm?

_Kaiser_ Registered User

cadey110 said:

I bought a set of their own brand wipers a few weeks back and haven't had any problems so far.

Bit of a long shot given that it's a reasonably new car; but is there any chance it could be the linkage/motor/etc? A friend of mine once tried several sets of blades before discovering that it was the one of the links squeaking. A bit of grease sorted it out.

mickdw Registered User

Ive never known a new set of blades to squeek as long as the angle of attack to windscreen is correct.
Did you fit just the rubber or the actual blade?

The-Game Registered User

Does the vinegar not rot the rubber on the blades??

Hal1 Registered User

I was just looking at a site offering usefull info, then in a section on car tips it had;

To stop windscreen wipers squeaking rub a slice of apple onto the blades. Contributed by Andrew Atkinson

Taken from here.

WestWicklow1 Registered User

Hinge the wipers off the windscreen. Start them up. Are they still squeaking?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!