NinjaK Banned
#1,321

Fishooks12 said:
In the last episode where the brits are portrayed as snobbish buffons in the sketch where they meet the Irish man on the corner

idiotic to suggest that McSavage hates Ireland

Do you know what the word satire even means?

No he just likes to make fun of Gaelic Irish people and their traditions. Its a west-Brit tv programme aimed at middle class west-Brits, like alot of RTE D4 tv shows.

#1,322

NinjaK said:
No he just likes to make fun of Gaelic Irish people and their traditions. Its a west-Brit tv programme aimed at middle class west-Brits, like alot of RTE D4 tv shows.

No its a comedy show aimed at people with a sense of humour.

20 people have thanked this post
Roberto91 Registered User
#1,323

I rekon most people dont even get the humour in this programme cos its not spelled out ,spoon fed and punctuated with canned laughter in the(mostly British and American) style of comedy we've become used to on TV.This is Irish humour.

2 people have thanked this post
krudler Registered User
#1,324

NinjaK said:
I must be watching a different show, give me one example

the episode with the British newsreel footage of Michael Collins signing the treaty was brilliant, do you even get the joke? all of those newsreel clips showing what "paddy" is doing are really funny, its taking the piss out of the british view of ireland at the time.

krudler Registered User
#1,325

NinjaK said:

it also takes the piss out of middle class irish people, the one where everyone is obsessed with buying houses is a perfect example, some of the jokes are hit and miss but when its funny its hilarious, its up there with Father Ted as a pitch perfect look at Irish society, and its the best thing RTE have done in forever.

artful_codger Registered User
#1,326

NinjaK said:

18 people have thanked this post
K-9 Category Moderator
#1,327

MungBean said:
No its a comedy show aimed at people with a sense of humour.

. Hook, line and bloody sinker.

Exactly. Leave the over thinking and analysing to the programme, exaggeration is what humour is about after all. When it hits a nerve, you know it's true!

4 people have thanked this post
#1,328

Roberto91 said:
I rekon most people dont even get the humour in this programme cos its not spelled out ,spoon fed and punctuated with canned laughter in the(mostly British and American) style of comedy we've become used to on TV.This is Irish humour.

Exactly, quite a few of the jokes are references to TV shows of the past like the priest tv sketch about dating in Ireland is a direct reference to Radharc. Its quite clever all ages comedy.

Jayob10 Registered User
#1,329

the sketch of the all ireland talent show with Grainne Seoige a few weeks back was very funny. Silly stuff but the family irish dancing and the builder sticking the breakfast roll up his arse kinda encapsulated how rubbish and and how parochial 'middle or the road' irish people are when it comes to entertainment.

its probably the same audience who watch this kind of show who don't understand the humour aswell.

Never was a fan of McSavage but the show is excellent.

#1,330

the sketch about the civil servants "filling out a form"(to the tune brewing up a storm) is also a cracker,but I agree that some of the jokes are not funny and are a bit severe.I rekon McSavage is a madman and I think he has probably taken a lot of drugs too.

kevohmsford Registered User
#1,331

I am suprised some people take this show seriously. It is just a laugh.
Looking forward for tonight's installment.
Episode 5 - EDUCATION: Why is Ireland so Proud of its Education System?

#1,332

kevohmsford said:
I am suprised some people take this show seriously. It is just a laugh.
Looking forward for tonight's installment.
Episode 5 - EDUCATION: Why is Ireland so Proud of its Education System?

could be interesting -I bet he takes a huge swipe at the compulsory Irish in the schools and teacher's rates of pay.

Ash.J.Williams Registered User
#1,333

Roberto91 said:
could be interesting -I bet he takes a huge swipe at the compulsory Irish in the schools and teacher's rates of pay.

yeah and i'm sure the teaching of Irish will be mentioned

Liamario Registered User
#1,334

Was the show on at a different time last week, as my UPC box recorded some show called ugly instead.

WolfForager Registered User
#1,335

Thought it ended last week, somewhat glad there's one tonight!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!