knockon Registered User

Can anyone tell me what to write here on the FCA1 for Calibre on an over/under Shotgun?

Sparks Moderator

Nope, 'cos none of us can see what kind of shotgun it is

(Seriously, if it's 12 gauge, write that, if it's .410 write that, etc, etc. Gauge is a perfectly valid and accepted measurement of calibre.)

knockon Registered User

Again - thank you. Gauge it is.

foxhunter Registered User

knockon said:
Again - thank you. Gauge it is.

you must put the particular gauge not just gauge as Sparks said 12g/20g/410g/16g whichever it is.

cavan shooter Registered User

If you look at the shot gun, on the barrells near the action you will see the gauge stamped with the cartidge size and sonmetimes the barrell length.

Assuming you are an active shooter look at the box of shells you have and see whats written on them

deerhunter1 Registered User

knockon said:
Can anyone tell me what to write here on the FCA1 for Calibre on an over/under Shotgun?

your should should be 12g,20g,28g. it will tell you on your licence. 12g or 12bore

Quote.. (something off the internet off some site)..

What does gauge mean?

Do you know why a 12 gauge is called a 12 gauge?

The gauge of a shotgun barrel was originally determined by the number of identically-sized lead balls that have the same diameter as the bore, and weigh one pound. Example: Let's say the bore of a 20 gauge is .6 of an inch. It would take 20, six tenths of an inch lead balls, to weigh 1 pound. Using the same numbers, if one were to build a gun with a bore of .675 it would take 16 lead balls that size to weigh 1 pound--- thus a 16 gauge. Oops !! - what about a 410? Truth is a 410 is not actually a gauge. It is a caliber... .410 inches bore. Applying the math to this would make a 410 shotgun actually a 67 gauge.... so next time you go to buy your 410 shells ask for some 67 gauge shells and see what happens!

Sort of!

Traumadoc Registered User

A .22 would be a 450 guage

REXER Registered User

And a 4 Bore Elephant Gun fires a 4 ounce lead slug.
The recoil is not as extreme as this sugests as these were all black powder guns.

Grizzly 45 Registered User

I beg to differ on that one Rexer.As would a certain Mr Selous,who was much noted for his big game hunting expeditions in Africa in the 19th century.He used a chopped down 4 bore BP fowling piece for elephant hunting.It was the famous "four to a pound" gun,and it's recoil was horrendous even to an experianced hunter. I've fired a 4bore single barrel BP shotgun...once! From the weight and size,not to mind recoil it would be better mounted in a gun turret on a tank.Anyone who used one of those yokes to make a living was a very hardy fellow.

Cass Moderator

REXER said:
And a 4 Bore Elephant Gun fires a 4 ounce lead slug.
The recoil is not as extreme as this sugests as these were all black powder guns.

(Invalid youtube)

That looks severe enough.

pedroeibar Registered User

Grizzly 45 said:
I beg to differ on that one Rexer.As would a certain Mr Selous,who was much noted for his big game hunting expeditions in Africa in the 19th century.He used a chopped down 4 bore BP fowling piece for elephant hunting.It was the famous "four to a pound" gun,and it's recoil was horrendous even to an experianced hunter. I've fired a 4bore single barrel BP shotgun...once! From the weight and size,not to mind recoil it would be better mounted in a gun turret on a tank.Anyone who used one of those yokes to make a living was a very hardy fellow.

+1. I've also fired a 4 bore, and a 6 bore howdah pistol. The latter was worse.
P.
PS
I'm not Grizzly's doppelganger

meathstevie Registered User

Grizzly 45 said:

On a sidenote, is that Mr Selous the same Mr Selous from whom the Selous Scouts got their name ?

Grizzly 45 Registered User

The very man!

Gortglas Registered User

I put 12 gauge on my form, and the FO crossed it out an dwrote over and under.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!