Pete_Cavan Registered User

dubhthach said:

The branch line to Iceland is interesting in that it will allow for "Green datacenters" via Geothermal energy/ambient air cooling.

Would I be right in thinking that Iceland is quite vunerable to seismic activity and that would mean it is not a great place over a datacentre because it could be wiped out by a natural disaster?

dubhthach Registered User

Pete_Cavan said:
Would I be right in thinking that Iceland is quite vunerable to seismic activity and that would mean it is not a great place over a datacentre because it could be wiped out by a natural disaster?

Most of seismic activity is Volcanic in origin. obviously there are certain places in Iceland you wouldn't want to build a data-center. However if you are building a proper redudant setup then you would have a DR/HA (disaster recovery/high availability) setup where all the data in Datacentre1 (DC1) is replicated to DC2. What's important there is low latency connection between DC's. I would imagine using this connection you could probably get 25ms between Iceland and Connacht. a 100Gbit/s connection between the two for data replication/clustering would enable 12.5GBytes/s of data transfer. In event of natural disaster in DC1 (iceland), DC2 transperantely takes over without the loss of any critical data.

Clustering is one of the reason that most of the banks in the World Trade Center didn't suffer any downtime. all there servers on site were configured with clustering/failover to remote sites (New Jersey etc.)

A good example of course at the moment is in the whole "Cloud" space, at least two major providers recently suffered a power outage in West Dublin, in both cases they were able to migrate customer's "machines" (Virtual machines in reality) to seperate DC's on continent.

This cable is configured to carry 100 x 100Gbit/s waves per cable pair. Total of 6 cable pairs, so that's add up to 600 x 100Gbit/s waves. Of course Eircom for example use 10Gb/s for it connections between say Galway/Cork and Dublin. Total bandwidth is 60Tbits/s

1 person has thanked this post

Looks like the ducting in NRA roads will finally get used. Here's a map from "Project Joshua" announced by PiPiper. It's obviously gonna provide the redudant link across Ireland for Emearld Networks.

The big thing here if you ask me is alot of new ducting going into West of Ireland. Galway to Donegal, as well as North Mayo through to Sligo. This makes the whole area considerably more viable for anything that requires very high levels of Data. It also connects in with Hibernian Atlantic via their "Project Kelvin" (landing station in Derry).

There is ducting in the Motorway to at least Kilcock.

Details

• Overall Diverse Route of 1050Km
  • 420Km of New Network Construction
  • 760Km of New Sub Duct
  • 760Km of New Fibre Cable

Fully redundant Network

• Repeater Locations every 75Km
  • Completion of Shortest Route; Oct 2012
  • Cable Live November 2012
  • Completion of the Diverse Route; March 2013
  • Diverse Cable Live April 2013
  • Completing the Northern Fibre Ring

http://pipiperinfrastructure.com/project-joshua/

Rollout of Ireland’s dark fibre network to generate 277 new jobs
http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/24821-rollout-of-irelands-dark/
Some 277 new jobs are to be created in the rollout of dark fibre across Ireland by PiPiper Infrastructure, which is deploying the infrastructure as part of an overall €88m investment plan.

As cloud computing and network-centric business models grow and grow nations like Ireland will be hard-pressed to ensure that cities and towns are linked to data centres and international data links via dark fibre in order to attract and retain inward investment and give local firms a fighting chance.

At present over 94 towns are circled with fibre in the form of metropolitan area networks (MANs) managed by E-net and connected nationally and internationally by fibre backhaul.

But the next phase of development requires abundant supply of dark fibre to future-proof the country for decades as the digital economy’s inexorable advance continues.

Eddie Kilbane, CEO of PiPiper Infrastructure, explained that the company is privately funded to the tune of €88m by private investors in the US and Ireland who view this infrastructure as fundamental to the country’s economic future.

PiPiper will work with the National Roads Authority and various local authorities to put dark fibre into ducts across the country to create a nationwide dark fibre network that will then be made available to telecoms firms to serve businesses and communities with next generation network services.

PiPiper is also working with Emerald Networks, which is raising US$300m to build a transatlantic data network between New York, Iceland and Ireland that will come ashore at Belmullet, Mayo, and will be cable of carrying 60 terabytes of data. The transatlantic network will be operational by Spring 2013 and could be pivotal in securing next generation financial and digital media investment projects that will create thousands of jobs along Ireland’s west coast counties.

“We are working with bodies like the NRA and the core of our operating model is to deploy the fibre with the minimum of disruption by concentrating on maximum cooperation during the civil engineering phase,” Kilbane explained. He said that the model has already been proven in Dublin where some €170,000 worth of fibre was deployed to connect emergency services in cooperation with Dublin City Council and that this model is now considered international best practice.

Kilbane said PiPiper is in talks with significant telecoms players active in Ireland and the first phase of the project will involve creating a fibre ring that will connect major midlands towns like Athlone, Tullamore and Mullingar with dark fibre.

Opportunity for Ireland to be at the centre of the digital world
“The project will generate 47 full time jobs and 230 jobs in the construction of the network,” Kilbane explained. “The overall budget for the project is €88m, which is being provided by private investors. Our plan is to deliver this network by Spring 2013 and give Ireland a fully operational dark fibre network. The midlands ring will be live in time for this Summer.

The company is also working closely with Intune Networks to deploy fibre virtualisation and tuning technologies to intelligently handle data traffic volumes.

“The country of Ireland needs this network as soon as possible,” Kilbane concluded.

“This network is an opportunity to make Ireland Europe’s digital centre for all data and financial transfers between Europe and North America.”

John Kennedy

bk Moderator

dubhthach said:

Clustering is one of the reason that most of the banks in the World Trade Center didn't suffer any downtime. all there servers on site were configured with clustering/failover to remote sites (New Jersey etc.)

I heard about one bank who's backup data center was just across the street in the third building that also collapsed, whoops!!!

Also many of the banks had backup office space and trading floors rented nearby. But they were all renting from the same facility and then there wasn't enough space for all of them, as the facility was knowingly "oversold" and they never expected that they would all need to use the backup facility at the same time!!

Only by the banks working together and helping each out, sharing facilities, etc. was a major financial disaster averted.

This lead to a major industry rethink of disaster planning and making backup data centers more geographically spread out.

2 people have thanked this post

To compliment the maps above ("Project Joshua", NRA map, EST Telecoms) here's a map of BT fibre assets in Ireland. I hadn't seen this till I went looking for it today.

Alot of BT fibre route is along CIÉ owned rail track. Been part of the deal done between CIÉ and Esat Telecom back in the day.

If the gov get off their arse and sort out LTE licensing for Mobile phone space you will see a big demand for fibre to base-stations.

bminish Registered User

I would point out that BT are a managed services operator rather than a dark fibre provider.

Also the redundancy shown into Ballina via Sligo and the 20Km Delivery circles both appear to be 'optimistic' claims.

The current pricing may not entirely viable either although one would expect the arrival of a new entrant to improve matters.

jackwogan Banned

Hi, a bit off the subject but does anyone how I can connect 2 office buildings in Dublin via fibre. Is there a company I can use that can organise this by using exsisting ducts as the distance is just over 3 miles.

jackwogan said:
Hi, a bit off the subject but does anyone how I can connect 2 office buildings in Dublin via fibre. Is there a company I can use that can organise this by using exsisting ducts as the distance is just over 3 miles.

Well whereabouts in Dublin are these office buildings? City center or periperhal? The first thing I would do is look for quotes off the relevant fibre providers out there. eg:
  • Eircom
  • Colt
  • BT
  • Magnet
  • Smart Telecom

etc.

bk Moderator

jackwogan said:

If both buildings are already connected by fibre to a fibre backbone *, then it would be much cheaper to just rent capacity with a Service Level Agreement on the existing fibre and create a Virtual Private Network between the two buildings.

The normal players dubhthach mentioned can help you with this.

* And even if they are not, it is probably cheaper to have them connected, then it would be to lay fibre between them directly.

D'Peoples Voice Registered User

bk Moderator

Well the first thing to understand is that Eircoms new fibre strategy will still mostly involve DSL.

It will mostly be VDSL2 in local cabinets feed by fibre.

Some of the dal modems Eircom have been installing in recent years are probably upgradable to VDSL2 and will continue to be used in the new investment.

Those that aren't, could be redeployed. Adsl2 dslams moved to exchanges with older adsl dslams and older adsl dslams can be moved to exchanges with no adsl.

So this new fibre investment won't necessarily invalidate previous investments. Either way they desperately need to make this investment. The alternative is to continue losing customers to UPC at a vicious rate.

2 people have thanked this post
L1011 Moderator

Two of the 15 "missing" DSL exchanges from the old plan would save me INCREDIBLE amounts of hassle in work (customers in those towns reliant on shonky wireless products or similar where proper VPNs are required) so if there is redeployment of DSL1/DSLMax DSLAMS I'd be delighted.

I'm, however, likely to be stuck on DSL1 forever - Maynooth is split in to two exchanges, "Maynooth Moneycooley" that's got DSL2 for quite some time and was one of the first for DSLMax (NGB) and "Maynooth Business Campus" that has DSL1, not even DSLMax.

Two housing estates are wired to the latter due to having had historically very poor lines to Moneycooley and I live in one, my parents live in the other.... and neither has UPC either which the rest of the town does!

Mod
I deleted the last post which had been cross-posted in UPC forum. Customer relations with a telco isn't really relevant to actual infrastructure forum anyways.

monument Moderator

I'll also post elsewhere... Deleting the post does not seem to work on the touch site?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!