As the title says.

I'll sticky it for a few weeks. If it gets used, I'll leave it here.

I think it would be much cooler to call the exam PHAT. That's way more down with the kids

10 people have thanked this post

Can i ask, is it possible to sit both the HPAT and the GAMSAT in the same yr? Or are they both sat on the same day etc?

I know very little about either exam. But I thought you had to combine HPAT with your LC, and you had to be a uni graduate to do GAMSAT

tallaght01 said:
I know very little about either exam. But I thought you had to combine HPAT with your LC, and you had to be a uni graduate to do GAMSAT

yes thats true, for the GAMSAt you have to have achieved a 2.1 in your degree programme, i was just wondering tough, if you are over 23, have a first honours degree under your belt can you apply to sit both the HPAT & the GAMSAT so as to have a chance at entering undergrad med and graduate entry?

Maybe a question to be asked in a GAMSAT thread as im sure these ppl will have looked into it.

Good question. Feel free to ask it in the GAMSAT thread aswell. BUt I was under the impression you had to do the HPAT within a certain period of time after the LC. But I could be totally wrong about that.

I'm sure someone will know the answer though.

HQvhs Registered User

Yeah, as far as I know the HPAT and LC have to be sat within a two year period of each other.

By the way, does anyone know the new points for med in 4th round offers, just out of curiosity? I know Trinity's down to 724, any news on any of the others?

HQvhs said:
Yeah, as far as I know the HPAT and LC have to be sat within a two year period of each other.

Can anyone confirm this?

Jessibelle Registered User

The Leaving cert must be sat on either the year of the HPAT application or in years prior to the HPAT application. Leaving cert points are valid indefinitely (or for however long LC points are valid) but the HPAT is only valid for two years. HTH

ZorbaTehZ Registered User

Davie89 said:
Can anyone confirm this?

HPAT and LC don't have to be sat in the same year. The only stipulation is that the HPAT has been sat in the two year period preceding entry to a medical program:

In 2009, undergraduate entry to medicine for school leavers will be based on both:

• achieving a minimum of 480 points and meeting the minimum entry requirements for the programme in the same sitting of the Irish Leaving Certificate Examination (or equivalent*)

and

• completing the required admissions test (HPAT-Ireland) within the 2 year period immediately preceding admission to the medicine programme.

Source: www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/2009UGMedEntry.pdf

whadabouchasir Registered User

HQvhs said:

By the way, does anyone know the new points for med in 4th round offers, just out of curiosity? I know Trinity's down to 724, any news on any of the others?

NUIG dropped to 712.This was the lowest I heard.

KevMed5 Registered User

UCC is 715!!

Liamhan Registered User

First time posting so sorry if its wrong!
Looking for help/advice...Did UKCAT yesterday, got 715 average. Doing LC in June 2010. Does anyone know if its possible to do Medicine in UK without Chemistry, doing Biology, Physics & Ag Science. Worried I wont get a place in Ireland. Thanks in advance!

I recall reading on college websites if you are eligible to sit the GAMSAT (i.e. have 2.1 primary degree) you can enter via that route only
pity really although if yoe have done the primary degree you must be more than 2 years on from LC so HPAT useless anyway.
Wonder what the HPAT is like; what the big fuss was about it? Find it odd how some young people in the papers got 600 points and an average HPAT.

clartharlear Registered User

etymon said:
I recall reading on college websites if you are eligible to sit the GAMSAT (i.e. have 2.1 primary degree) you can enter via that route only

I don't ever recall reading that. That would be a fairly strange stipulation. A degree is additional to the leaving cert - it shouldn't make the leaving cert points null and void.

pity really although if yoe have done the primary degree you must be more than 2 years on from LC so HPAT useless anyway.
This misconception was cleared up earlier in the thread - the HPAT must be within two years of going to college.
It also can't be taken before the leaving cert year, although it can be taken afterwards. They further specify that it must be taken at least two academic years (i.e. not transition year) after the junior cert.

I don't think that's fair. Why shouldn't 5th years sit it? If they do well, they can fully focus on points for 6th year, if they do poorly, maybe they can consider other options.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!