Toyota_Avensis Registered User

Can I register my car in a differant county to the one in which I'm living in. I'm considering buying in the North but when I take it into the south, there is a Particular county I would rather have it registered in. Is this possible?

Bogger77 Registered User

I registered mine at the Revenue office in Cork, with a non Cork reg, but then again my pps number is registered to a non Cork address.

They'll assign you a number based on your PPS, I think, unless you state different, but I'd expect you'd need proof of address to use any other address.

biggus Registered User

It will be registerd to whatever county the address of the new registered owner lives even if you pay the duty in a different county.

D reg eh..

Toyota_Avensis Registered User

anyone shine any light on this?

bazz26 Registered User

As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number. You cannot choose what county you want to register it in.

Berty Registered User

bazz26 said:
As already mentioned, the car will be registered to the county of the address that Revenue have in reference to your PPS number. So if for example your PPS number has your address as in Dublin then the car will be registered with a D reg number.

Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.

bazz26 Registered User

Berty said:
Not true. The car will be registered to the address that you provide the garage with. I bought a new car and was given a L address even though I bought and taxed the car in Cork.

I researched this recently for my father who wants to buy a car in Little Island Cork which is not registered yet and wants an L address even though he lives in County Clare. Boundary issues anyway....................

he is registering the car at his mothers address in Limerick to get the L address.

But the OP is importing a car which afaik means the VRO will issue a registration number based on the address that they have via his/her PPS number. Maybe the rules are different when importing?

colm_mcm Registered User

you fill in your address manually on the registration application. the PPS number doesn't determine that.
you need to use an actual address for receiving the registration cert.

2 people have thanked this post
2 Espressi Registered User

You'd think at a grand a pop for "privileged" plates, they'd let you put any county on it? Madness...

Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.

R.O.R Registered User

Saab Ed said:
Well all I can say is I've registered lots of cars with Louth address's to Meath plates but I think the best one ever was " Drogheda Co Dublin. " I know a dealer who registered a car to Dundalk Co Dublin because the owner wanted a D plate. The VRO will reg a car to what ever address you give them, thats my experience anyway.

Even if you go in to the VRO?

I know the online system will take any combination for new cars, but I thought they had a bit of cop on in the VRO.

Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......

R.O.R said:

Oh, wait a second - it's a Government department......

They twig fcuk all. Too busy playing pac man or their other favorite game , lets see how long he'll stand there without complaining

fastrac Registered User

Jackie Healy Rae got grief from the Kerry folk for having a C reg on his new Merc.Common practice in The Kingdom to keep up the trade in value.

Got a friend that lives in the county you want it registered to? just put your name, your friends address and then you're done. When you get the ownership papers then, just send them back with a change of address!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!