raysnewvan Registered User
#1

How we doing!?

does anyone know which diesel van (around Hiace/Transporter/Transit sized) would be the most fuel efficient??

I'm trying to convince my Dad that I could afford one instead of my 1.3l petrol Mitsubishi Colt.

I suppose the van would be around 2.0 litre.

Thanks!

RAYSNEWVAN

Gary ITR Registered User
#2

Why on earth would you want a van over a car? Unless you need a van don't drive one.

Most will be fuel efficient but not as good as a small Japanese car.

#3

Renault Trafic / Nissan Primastar / Opel Vivaro 1.9 or a VW Transporter 1.9 will all do between 45 and 55 to the gallon if driven properly. The Renault / Nissan / Opel should be from mid 05 onwards to avoid gearbox issues. Ford Transits and Toyota Hiaces would be the worst on fuel. Hope that helps

robtri Registered User
#4

Also don't forget, quoted number are for empty vans, if you plan on carrying stuff in the van, the MPG drops drastically with weight...

Gary ITR Registered User
#5

robtri said:
Also don't forget, quoted number are for empty vans, if you plan on carrying stuff in the van, the MPG drops drastically with weight...


I was driving a Transporter and with a few sheets of timber in the back it dropped to the low 20's

#6

Onkle said:
I was driving a Transporter and with a few sheets of timber in the back it dropped to the low 20's


You'd have been drivin her like she was stolen though, wouldnt ya...

OP, is there any reason why you need/want a van?

Del2005 Registered User
#7

raysnewvan said:
How we doing!?

does anyone know which diesel van (around Hiace/Transporter/Transit sized) would be the most fuel efficient??

I'm trying to convince my Dad that I could afford one instead of my 1.3l petrol Mitsubishi Colt.

I suppose the van would be around 2.0 litre.

Thanks!

RAYSNEWVAN



Have you looked into the costs of servicing a van, DOE every year etc. You'd be doing well to run a van for less then a 1.3 car. Then your limited to 2 passengers, 1 in some vans. Unless you are going to be moving loads of big objects then I'd avoid one.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!