py2006 Registered User

Hi all,

One of the side panels of my case wont go back on so the internals have been exposed for a while now. I do have it up against a wall so its not all that bad now!

However, there is an awful lot of dust in there! I am afraid to take the hover to it in case it causes damage and don't want to use a cloth for same reason.

What is the best method for this or does it really matter at all?

Cheers!

GerardKeating Registered User

py2006 said:
Hi all,

One of the side panels of my case wont go back on so the internals have been exposed for a while now. I do have it up against a wall so its not all that bad now!

However, there is an awful lot of dust in there! I am afraid to take the hover to it in case it causes damage and don't want to use a cloth for same reason.

What is the best method for this or does it really matter at all?

Cheers!

I always use the hover and as long as you do not actually make contact with any innards you should be fine.

use the hoover for the outside and canned air for the inside.
Works a treat

Tallon said:
use the hoover for the outside and canned air for the inside.
Works a treat

air in a can??

john47832 said:

air in a can??

well not excatly air, have a read

john47832 said:

air in a can??

2 people have thanked this post

Compressed air is the best way to go about it. I normally strip them down completely (short of taking the heatsink off the CPU), and blow the air into all the nooks and crannies, through the heatsink and PSU as well. I wouldn't try pushing air through an optical or hard drive though - remove them and just dust them off. Give the inlets and outlets a good doing over too.

Best to do it outside as well (or well ventilated garage). Get the side panel back on though. As well as stopping dust getting in, the cases are usually designed to allow exchange of air from outside, through the case, and then exit. Interrupt this airflow, and some parts of the system may not get sufficient cooling air.

Using a vacuum wouldn't be recommended - if your vac is powerful, you could run the risk of having the nozzle impact the motherboard, crushing a component perhaps.

I knew that

1 person has thanked this post
Overheal 8-bit Superhero

air can blast, hoover to gooble up the floaties

py2006 Registered User

Thanks guys, good advice!

I am sure they sell that can of air in pc world??

cruizer101 Registered User

I heard once that using a vacumm can cause a build up of a static chrge on the tip due to the fast flowing air, wondering can anyone confirm this.

Also would a clean air pump of some sort work, such as a football pump.
(I realise the kind of people who clean their computers may not be the kind who generally play football but something along those lines)

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!