boffin54321 Registered User
#1

My back garden gets very soggy when there's a downpour. There's actually a pool of water at the back of the garden. My garden is as follows:

its basically a square, there's an 8ft wall at the back of garden because the neighbours garden on the far side is approx 2 ft higher. I think the foundation for this wall extends out a bit so the water there has nowhere to go and gathers into a large puddle.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? as Iwould like to build raised beds in this area when I get drainage sorted out. thanks

ART6 Subscriber
#2

Might be worth considering a soakaway or three. As a first attempt I would be inclined to hire a post hole borer from a plant hire shop and drill a few deep holes. Fill them with stones from a DIY store and put a layer of sacking or similar over the stones, then backfill with soil. Not necessarily a permanent solution, but at least it will identify what you're up against.

Joey the lips Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
#3

I done the hole boring thing it kinda works ok. Its grand in the summer but bad in the winter.


My garden is 3 ft lower than myt neighbours behind

What my other neighbour beside me done was build a "H" drain. He ran this into a gullytrap then onwards into an access junction

It seems to be working great. It only cost him 300 euro for the digger hire etc

I might consider it next year. I am broke at the moment.

onq Banned
#4

Joey the lips said:
I done the hole boring thing it kinda works ok. Its grand in the summer but bad in the winter.


My garden is 3 ft lower than myt neighbours behind

What my other neighbour beside me done was build a "H" drain. He ran this into a gullytrap then onwards into an access junction

It seems to be working great. It only cost him 300 euro for the digger hire etc

I might consider it next year. I am broke at the moment.


Perhaps I'm mininterpreting your post and I may stand corrected if so.
Your neighbours bum is 3 foot above your garden.
Is this a relativistic thing - does the garden change levels when he goes upstairs to use the loo or what!?

Seriously though, what is a "H" drain?
Regardless, running groundwater into the public sewers may be against the law.
It isn't exempted development, and it seesm to goe directly against SUDS, which requires local disposal of rainwater with soakaways, etc., never mind groundwater.
Is he trying to bankrupt the local authority with endless litres of groundwater?
Is he even on a separate system - then he's just overload the sewers and cause flooding, or worse, silt them up unless he has a trap fitted to prevent fines being delivered down the pipe.
Does your neighbour have planning permission for this connection?
Perhaps his behind will develop a new proximity condition.
With a boot from the local authority and the District Court.

Thanks for shopping him on a public forum.



ONQ.

Martron Registered User
#5

whats the slope on your garden like? those it fall drastically to this point. what are the gardens to the left and right like?

Joey the lips Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
#6

onq said:
Perhaps I'm mininterpreting your post and I may stand corrected if so.
Your neighbours bum is 3 foot above your garden.
Is this a relativistic thing - does the garden change levels when he goes upstairs to use the loo or what!?

Seriously though, what is a "H" drain?
Regardless, running groundwater into the public sewers may be against the law.
It isn't exempted development, and it seesm to goe directly against SUDS, which requires local disposal of rainwater with soakaways, etc., never mind groundwater.
Is he trying to bankrupt the local authority with endless litres of groundwater?
Is he even on a separate system - then he's just overload the sewers and cause flooding, or worse, silt them up unless he has a trap fitted to prevent fines being delivered down the pipe.
Does your neighbour have planning permission for this connection?
Perhaps his behind will develop a new proximity condition.
With a boot from the local authority and the District Court.

Thanks for shopping him on a public forum.



ONQ.


Its nice to meat people like yourself on boards it confirms the nature of the world. You would make far more friends by asking questions instead of rude comments I think. Dont you! To answer your questions

My neighbours wifes bum is quite nice and yes is about up to my face. Quite a nice view as well. Oh and yes his garden is at a different level, All held back by a cavity block wall. I can take pictures if its that amazing but I dont think we need to do that.

My other neighbour connected quite legalally into the rain water drain which is acceptable

A " H" drain is where you lay the perforated pipe in a "H" pattern you then connect this back to a gully trap. The gully trap cataches any dirt deposits. This can then be connect on to the Access Junction where te rain water goes.

Now I stop here because I am sure the rest is not nesessary if we are connected into the rainwater runn off.

onq Banned
#7

Joey the lips said:
Its nice to meat people like yourself on boards it confirms the nature of the world. You would make far more friends by asking questions instead of rude comments I think. Dont you! To answer your questions

<snip "neighbours wife's bum" comments>

My other neighbour connected quite legalally into the rain water drain which is acceptable

A " H" drain is where you lay the perforated pipe in a "H" pattern you then connect this back to a gully trap. The gully trap cataches any dirt deposits. This can then be connect on to the Access Junction where te rain water goes.

Now I stop here because I am sure the rest is not nesessary if we are connected into the rainwater runn off.


Yes all human life is here, even the bums
With a nic like yours you should be used [or get used]to double-entendres.

As for the works.

(i) it sounds like your "other neighbour" may not have connected in accordance with planning permission and AFAIK permission is required for development works on, over or under the land unless its specifically mentioned in the exempted development schedule.

(ii) gully traps are designed to stop smells and gases coming back up from a sewer, particularly a combined sewer, less of a problem from a sewer carrying only rainwater/stormwater. The "trap" is the water seal and gas/smells are all that it traps. GTs are not designed as silt traps.

ONQ

Joey the lips Stealing Hugs Chasing Kisses
#8

onq said:
Yes all human life is here, even the bums
With a nic like yours you should be used [or get used]to double-entendres.

As for the works.

(i) it sounds like your "other neighbour" may not have connected in accordance with planning permission and AFAIK permission is required for development works on, over or under the land unless its specifically mentioned in the exempted development schedule.

(ii) gully traps are designed to stop smells and gases coming back up from a sewer, particularly a combined sewer, less of a problem from a sewer carrying only rainwater/stormwater. The "trap" is the water seal and gas/smells are all that it traps. GTs are not designed as silt traps.

ONQ


You would be doing a far bigger service to actually describe how its actually done rather than picking. Secondly the gully is only a precaution if the perforated pipe is layed correctly it wont be necessary

boffin54321 Registered User
#9

Martron, the slope is very gradually towards the back wall where the water is gathering. Not sure about the neighbours on left and right side, but I dont think their gardens are as bad as mine.

onq Banned
#10

Joey the lips said:
You would be doing a far bigger service to actually describe how its actually done rather than picking. Secondly the gully is only a precaution if the perforated pipe is layed correctly it wont be necessary


I'm not "picking".
I'm "politely" pointing out that a "solution" you claim your neighbour has implemented may be a breach of planning law.
I'm "politely" pointing out that you and your neighbour don't appear to understand the real-world implications of what's been done.

Laying of the pipe "correctly" mean what, exactly?
If its laid in gravel that no fines or silt will get into it?
That largely depends on the soil type and run off effluent.

Field drains are drained to soakaways or ditches as opposed to the public SW sewer system for several reasons, only one of which is to prevent silitng up.
Far more important reasons are;-
(i) not supercharging the SW with groundwater leading to overflowing MH's downstream.
(ii) not diluting the effluent in a Combined Sewer leading to hugely increased treatment costs to be borne by the local authority and ultimately, the taxpayer.

ONQ

boffin54321 Registered User
#11

Is there companies that do this type of work/ be able to advise on best course of action?

onq Banned
#12

boffin54321 said:
Is there companies that do this type of work/ be able to advise on best course of action?


You should contact an engineer or an architect to get the problem assessed, preferably an engineer who knows the area well.

There may be other people who are in your shoes.

It may involve piping water away from the houses to a soakaway in open space.

It may involve raising the garden with suitable clean fill and topsoil and re-seeding.

It may involve installing aminimum 2M x 2M x 2M soakaway in the garden.

You could also discuss it with the local authority drainage department.

The original developer of the estate and the local authority may both have a case to answer.

If the groundwater problem is so severe there is a possibility that it may affect the foundations in time, and if the house was certified by professionals, they also may have a case to answer.

HTH

ONQ

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!