Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#7,531

Nice, Never even heard of it.

1 person has thanked this post
o1s1n Registered User
#7,532

On a bit of a Castlevania binge today, had a good bash at Bloodlines and IV.

As a matter of interest, I dug out Chronicles for the PS1 as I've had it sitting there unplayed since Gamestop were selling off their PS1 games for 2 quid a pop.

Holy crap does it look dated. I know it's a glossed up port, but seriously, could have tried a little harder with the pixel art and animation. Bloodlines, a game from a generation before, looks a million times nicer.

#7,533

It's not a glossed up port. It's the original game. The PS1 exclusive version just changes the Simon sprite and makes the game easier. Spruced up soundtrack as well.

o1s1n Registered User
#7,534

Retr0gamer said:
It's not a glossed up port. It's the original game. The PS1 exclusive version just changes the Simon sprite and makes the game easier. Spruced up soundtrack as well.

Oh really?? Interesting! What do you make of it?

Played the original NES Castlevania straight after just to compare and it plays far better.

DaveyDave Registered User
#7,535

Couldn't be arsed watching anything on TV earlier so played through Streets of Rage 2 and also managed to play through the first level of Super Hang On.

#7,536

o1s1n said:
Oh really?? Interesting! What do you make of it?

Played the original NES Castlevania straight after just to compare and it plays far better.

It's good if a bit uninspired. It doesn't have the originality of the better vania games and doesn't make great use of the x68000 other than some nice visuals for the time.

I do appreciate that it got a release at all as it could well have been left as a x68000 exclusive. Also the remix versions difficulty level is nice as the original is near impossible.

I'd kind of rank it along side the SNES Dracula X.

2 people have thanked this post
accensi0n Registered User
#7,537

Finished Adventures in the Magic Kingdom on the NES. Played it mainly because it's considered a relatively easy NES game. Didn't think much of it, didn't really like answering (googling) all the trivia questions.

5 people have thanked this post
DaveyDave Registered User
#7,538

Played Die Hard Arcade a fair bit yesterday, probably only got half way through. Need to work on some combo moves. Also played a lot of Virtua Tennis now playing a bit of Re-Volt.

The Saturn and Dreamcast definitely don't get as much attention!

#7,539

I've started playing STALKER Clear Sky.

It's somehow wonkier than the original. It reuses the originals map. The dynamic faction wars are interesting but ultimately don't work that well and you just end up ignoring them after a while.

It's got some balancing issues. The second area of the game opens with you getting riddled by a machine gun nest from an army cordon which is not fun. Got stuck after it for ages assaulting the cordon only to realise later that you should actually just run away as you aren't properly kitted out to take out the army.

Lots of things aren't intuitive, I had to look up how to throw bolts and use the artefact sensors as well.

Still well worth playing but I feel the patchy original is much better and it has the same problem as the original where the start of the game isn't much fun until you get better weapons.

eddhorse Registered User
#7,540

Playing Daytona on my JPN Saturn and Read Dead Redemption for the first time on PS3.

accensi0n Registered User
#7,541

Playing Rad Racer and Bionic Commando on the NES currently.
Liking both, Bionic Commando is very good, still getting used to grappling and swinging instead of jumping. The original name of the Japanese release was "Hitler's Resurrection: Top Secret" !

Rad Racer is what it is but I really enjoy it, I'm not a sophisticated man, drive fast, avoid stuff, shout at the other cars that make you crash. Would have been great if it had a track map during gameplay

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!