mcmoustache Registered User
#6,856

Retr0gamer said:
Japanese RPG Misconception 101: You need to grind to get anywhere.

The vast majority of modern JRPGs (FF4 onwards) don't require any grinding to get to the end. Just not running from any fights will get you through them.

My view has probably been tainted by Bean Uí Mhoustache's pokemoning. She spends a lot of time in battle but that's after completing the story part. I'm guessing most jrpgs are designed so that you'll have enough xp for each boss if you fight what comes your way.

I think random encounters would still be a deal-breaker for me, though, and they seem to be common enough in that era. If I try another one it'll probably be earthbound before I move on to Nintendo DS or GameCube 3d jrpgs.

mcmoustache Registered User
#6,857

Star Lord said:
Boomerang takes care of those jellyfish without any worries. Only pain is when you're lining up a shot and one gets you from a blind spot.

So I've been told. It's infuriating without it though.

Burzum Registered User
#6,858

Am getting stuck into Alien Trilogy on the Saturn again very enjoyable game.

Retr0gamer Category Moderator
#6,859

Burzum said:
Am getting stuck into Alien Trilogy on the Saturn again very enjoyable game.

Played it at the end of the PS1's life when I got it very cheap. Really didn't like it. It gets boring fast and the enemy sprites are so ugly. The engine is more Wolfenstein than Quake as well.

Mr.Saturn Registered User
#6,860

Any opinions on the Steam port of Ikaruga? Just read some guy has 4000 hours (yes, 4000) logged in Ikargua and I'm guessing it's one of those "easy to pick-up, difficult to master" gigs. On a bit of a shmup kick (haven't really gotten into genre before aside from Xevious 3D/G+ on the PS) after picking Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo during the Humble frenzy. Dunno how it rates for shmup veterans, but I'm having a hell of a time with it. Got my eye on Crimzon Clover and Jamestown too.

o1s1n Registered User
#6,861

Never tempted to burn off a CD-R and lash it in a Dreamcast?

Mr.Saturn Registered User
#6,862

"I'd never do such a thing" says I in confidence, as I recall the fact my laptop doesn't do discs.

1 person has thanked this post
#6,863

Ikaruga is fantastic on Steam. However it's not really a pick up and play game, takes a while to get your head around the mechanics but it's not too steep of a learning curve. Mastering it is a whore. The first stage is grand, second stage is difficult but after some practice shouldn't be too much of a road block. Third stage is the big road block to get past before you get to stage 4 where it takes the absolute piss, it's mental. Then there's stage 5... which honestly isn't that bad, it's no stage 4!

I managed to beat the GC version many moons ago with 5 credits but then I didn't realise it was a stinking 50Hz port so was probably a bit easier.

2 people have thanked this post
#6,864

Beat the arcade version of Contra. It's.... Not that great compared to the NES version. There's only 3 stages, 5 if you include the base sections. The aiming and shooting are quite awkward compared to the NES game but once you get used to them the game us way easier than the NES version.

Stick to the NES version basically. It controls much better and the horizontal screen orientation is a lot more suitable for this game. The NES version also greatly expands each stage making them longer, better designed and the bosses are also way better. Each area of the arcades stage 5 was split up and expanded as its own separate stage in the NES version.

M!Ck^ Registered User
#6,865

Speaking of Metroid
I finally completed metroid zero mission, love the remake and thought the end hour was well done and a nice surprise

3 people have thanked this post
M!Ck^ Registered User
#6,866

Finally Completed Super Mario 3 on Classic Mini
Is it the norm to skip pipe world 7? It's a ****ing heartbreaker.
Used the whistle and skipped to world 8
Then abused the save state function until done

#6,867

M!Ck^ said:
Finally Completed Super Mario 3 on Classic Mini
Is it the norm to skip pipe world 7? It's a ****ing heartbreaker.
Used the whistle and skipped to world 8
Then abused the save state function until done

Pfft, do it like a man! Warpless!

(Not like I've ever done it either)

o1s1n Registered User
#6,868

Started Breath of the Wild yesterday. Seriously considering ringing in sick to work for a week

4 people have thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator
#6,869

You playing on Switch or WiiU?

o1s1n Registered User
#6,870

WiiU version. Still don't feel like I've gotten my moneys worth out of that console yet to be moving on to a new one

It holds up really well. Some framerate drops which can be an annoyance but it was to be expected.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!